Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Steeing Rack Does it need replacement?

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-07, 10:39 PM
Lexus082
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Steeing Rack Does it need replacement?

When I driving and I come across a bump just on one side of the car and say either the left or the right tire comes in contact with the bump my steering wheel turns and then I have to turn it back to the straight position... Does this sound like my steering rack is worn? All the rack bushings have been replaced. Also.. I took off the boots on the rack and there was power steering fluid (atf) inside the boots and it leaked out when I removed one side. And sometimes when I am pulling into a parking spot with my foot slightly on the brake and I am turning the wheel it feels like the tire is rubbing against the body of the car. There is resistance in the steering wheel. Sounds like the steering rack is starting to fail correct? Its got 200,000 miles on it and the power steering fluid is full.
Old 11-17-07, 12:42 AM
vwynn
Lexus Fanatic

Received 53 Likes on 36 Posts

200k miles.. dude replace those suckers haha.. usually people replace em after maybe 120k.. but u got 200k =p wouldnt hurt to replace em. Only benefits my friend.
Old 11-17-07, 01:41 AM
k4rr
Driver

Originally Posted by Lexus082
When I driving and I come across a bump just on one side of the car and say either the left or the right tire comes in contact with the bump my steering wheel turns and then I have to turn it back to the straight position... Does this sound like my steering rack is worn? All the rack bushings have been replaced. Also.. I took off the boots on the rack and there was power steering fluid (atf) inside the boots and it leaked out when I removed one side. And sometimes when I am pulling into a parking spot with my foot slightly on the brake and I am turning the wheel it feels like the tire is rubbing against the body of the car. There is resistance in the steering wheel. Sounds like the steering rack is starting to fail correct? Its got 200,000 miles on it and the power steering fluid is full.
Mine does that same thing! Like when I hit reflectors on the side of the road. I was thinking it was just my tires pulling! lol I am not really familiar with the Toyota suspension setup. So I thought maybe thats just how the car reacted. I have been a Nissan guy for a long time. So I would definetly like to find this out too.
Old 11-17-07, 05:45 AM
Lexus082
Pole Position

Also I know its not the front suspension either. That has all been replaced with new parts. So the only thing that it possibly could be is the rack.
Old 11-17-07, 12:38 PM
k4rr
Driver

Unhappy

Also I know its not the front suspension either. That has all been replaced with new parts. So the only thing that it possibly could be is the rack.

I looked under my car today and saw that the boot on the drivers side is leaking on my car. So it sounds like we may both need a new rack....

I wonder if a mk4 supra rack will bolt up????
Old 11-17-07, 02:22 PM
TheMole
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I'm curious if the mk4 supra rack will fit as well. If it provides tighter steering then it could be a good replacement.
Old 11-17-07, 11:21 PM
breed
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Any updates guys? i got the same freakin problem.
Old 11-20-07, 01:32 PM
charley240
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

well, i dont browse the sc forums to much, but are any of people that having the jerking steering have your vehicle lowered? because if they are, chances your jerking is from your altered suspension geometry. i believe what you guys are encountering is known as bump-steer.
Charley
Old 11-20-07, 05:13 PM
k4rr
Driver

Nope mine is all stock height. I don't really notice it too much when driving in town at low speeds but on the interstate doing 60+ it feels scary...........
Old 11-20-07, 05:52 PM
habitat
Lead Lap

I have this issue too, but I like it. I want to be able to feel the crevasses on the road. If you want dull steering, why don't y'all buy a camry?
Old 11-20-07, 08:10 PM
Lexus082
Pole Position

Well I'd rather keep going straight on the road. The tire hits a bump or something on one side of the car and the steering wheel turns which ever way it feels like. Its a safety issue. Its difficult to keep the car in a straight line on the highway. It likes to shift and have play. I think the PS rack is worn and not providing the resistance to the changes in the road as it should. I don't remember it happening when I bought the car 3 years ago. When I first bought it, it was like driving a tank. It drove in a perfectly straight line and nothing altered its course.
Old 11-22-07, 12:09 AM
k4rr
Driver

Well I'd rather keep going straight on the road. The tire hits a bump or something on one side of the car and the steering wheel turns which ever way it feels like. Its a safety issue. Its difficult to keep the car in a straight line on the highway. It likes to shift and have play. I think the PS rack is worn and not providing the resistance to the changes in the road as it should. I don't remember it happening when I bought the car 3 years ago. When I first bought it, it was like driving a tank. It drove in a perfectly straight line and nothing altered its course.
I wonder if it's the bushings. And the whole rack is just sliding a little bit...
Old 11-25-07, 05:20 PM
Lexus082
Pole Position

I just replaced all my bushings and it helped a little. But a new car's steering system doesn't act this way. Mine has too much play. Since my rack is leaking and that's pretty much the only mechanical thing that I haven't replaced other than the engine, tranny and diff. I know its on its last leg and I was hoping someone would know if there was a connection to this excess play and a worn/leaky rack.

The steering itself is fine. No problems usually. Just when I hit these bumps some times they make the tire move which then causes the wheel to turn and the car to go slight off course. The car hasn't been lowered and the ball joints are all good.
Old 11-25-07, 05:36 PM
TheMole
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

You said the steering rack bushings were replaced so it can't be those.
Have you replaced the front lower control arm bushings/arms?
If you have, it is most likely the steering rack since it is leaking.
Old 11-25-07, 10:52 PM
breed
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Yeah well im almost positive its the steering rack. I'm going to be looking for a new one ASAP, this ish is killing me, i look so retarted on the road. i cant drive like this for long. If i find a good price for a new one i will post it for ya guys. keep use updated guys if it gets worse. With all of use having this problem im sure one of use will solve it.

Quick Reply: Steeing Rack Does it need replacement?