Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

New 08 250 - Pushes to left

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-07, 04:46 AM
dmccoach
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New 08 250 - Pushes to left

Hello all - Happy Thanks Giving!

I have a new 08 250, 17" wheels, Stick. I have 1300 miles on her. When I drove it off the lot (at 24 miles) she had a bit of a drift to the left on the highway, so I called the dealer and the service person said the suspension may need to settle in it should go away. Well it hasn't so when I took it in yesterday for the 1k check I reminded them of the drift so they did a 4 wheel alignment and reported to me that one rear wheel "was a little off".

Well, in test driving it after the alignment the issue is still present. Let me explain further. On the highway at cruising speed, it seems truer. I believe the drift is gone. BUT, when pushing the car even a little aggressively, and pulling good aggressive starts and cranking up through the gears (nothing exceeding 5k rpm) she gets pushed to the left and I am continuously pulling her back to the right... If I pulled hard from a stop and left my hands off the wheel on a straight road, she would pull accross to the other lane if I didn't bring her back...

This is unacceptable and I intend to call the dealer back tomorrow when they open,

But what do you think is going on here? (By the way I tested this with VSC off and same issue)?

Thanks in advance, Dan
Old 11-22-07, 11:28 AM
carchitect
Lead Lap

Did you happen to factor in the crown of the road or the wind direction? I mean did you happen to drive on a very level road w/o the wind pushing your vehicle to one side or another?

I would check your tire pressures. Make sure to use an accurate digital tire pressure gauge and inflate it to the pressures recommended on the tire pressure sticker on the driver's door jamb.

If the problem still presists have it looked at by your dealer. Schedule an appointment and request another IS250 loaner that ways you have something to compare with. When you drop off your vehicle request to go for a test drive with someone to help describe your concern and mention to them that you have had this issue since it was new and is still present. They should be able to help resolve the concern for you.

FYI, tire pulls/drift concerns at times may require replacement of tires. Unfortunately, tires are not warrantied by Lexus since they don't make them. They select tires for the vehicle based on the suspension they have developed for the car and what seems to for the application and works out all around. There are tires that would work better for the vehicle in one area but lack in other areas. With that being said the best tire I have ever come across (IMO) for the ISx50 with the 18" wheels have been the Michelin Pilot Sport PS2. They maybe able to help you out some other ways if it boils down to being a tire issue. It is generally handled on a case by case basis.

-Joe
Old 11-22-07, 11:35 AM
ULTiMaX99
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

there have been some cases on here where the dealer replaced the original dunlops cuz they were making the car pull to one side.
Old 11-22-07, 05:13 PM
dmccoach
Driver School Candidate

Hello, Yes I do understand road crown and wind... The affects I describe are not due to these... I will check tire pressure, but given that it literally just came out of the 1K check, I would have hoped they checked that.

You advice on getting a technician in the car is exactly what I was thinking and will request from the dealer. And if tires are the issue, Lexus will replace them because they are obviously defective. Thanks Joe - BTW, these are 17" wheels.

Thanks again.

P.S. Anyone else have to have Lexus replace stock wheels?

Originally Posted by carchitect
Did you happen to factor in the crown of the road or the wind direction? I mean did you happen to drive on a very level road w/o the wind pushing your vehicle to one side or another?

I would check your tire pressures. Make sure to use an accurate digital tire pressure gauge and inflate it to the pressures recommended on the tire pressure sticker on the driver's door jamb.

If the problem still presists have it looked at by your dealer. Schedule an appointment and request another IS250 loaner that ways you have something to compare with. When you drop off your vehicle request to go for a test drive with someone to help describe your concern and mention to them that you have had this issue since it was new and is still present. They should be able to help resolve the concern for you.

FYI, tire pulls/drift concerns at times may require replacement of tires. Unfortunately, tires are not warrantied by Lexus since they don't make them. They select tires for the vehicle based on the suspension they have developed for the car and what seems to for the application and works out all around. There are tires that would work better for the vehicle in one area but lack in other areas. With that being said the best tire I have ever come across (IMO) for the ISx50 with the 18" wheels have been the Michelin Pilot Sport PS2. They maybe able to help you out some other ways if it boils down to being a tire issue. It is generally handled on a case by case basis.

-Joe

Last edited by dmccoach; 11-23-07 at 08:41 PM.
Old 11-22-07, 09:51 PM
Ace00
Rookie

I just wanted to say that I'v been having the same problem with my 07 IS 250. Although i'v had my car for alittle over a year now and its fastly approching 30k (STILL ON OEM TIRES) because i am not an aggressive driver, but i know i will definitely replace them during my next service.

ANYWAYS- My car drifts to the right when I am not gripping the steering wheel, and when i brake (MODERATELY OR HARD) it tends to push to the left, i need to always bring it back. Although im sure my tires are close to needing to be replace, i'v ALWAYS had this problem. I just delt with it, thinking it was maybe its like that. hmmmmmmmmm

I had a tecoma pre runner before and i never had it pushing to either side (now hydro planning and spinning out..well thats another story..LOL)

Any clues/answers? alignments,new tires,etc....

BTW any reommendations on a replacement tires? Thinking to save money, going through discounttires/americantires might save some $$$

leaning towards the GOODYEAR F1s????
Old 11-23-07, 08:51 PM
dmccoach
Driver School Candidate

Hello my friend, I am sorry you too have had a similar problem linger... Just to update you, I called the dealer today and they have agreed to a technician riding with me, but I find there handling (so far) of my issue disappointing. The service supervisor is essentially saying to me "... we aligned it, you are imagining this, it has to be true..."

When I then pressed the supervisor he said: "...well this is a rear wheel drive, correct?" - Yes I replied - " well, when under hard acceleration, you are experiencing the torque..." I replied and siad "you mean this expensive, highly recognized, name brand car is designed to drive crooked when accelerated a little?"

He said, "listen bring it in, but if it is torque, we can't do anything about it"

My emotions aside at both the quality issue, and the lack of "understanding" from this service person - I have this simple question for the experts who might read this thread:

Do rear-wheel drive Lexus' have torque effects? And if so, is left push the direction one would expect? (Frankly, I EXPECT a true straight car under ALL REASONABLE circumstances - and my accelerarion so far is in no way extreme, so I can only so far conclude that Lexus has a defect, atleast, in my car, and POSSIBLY in the design, if this service person is correct in saying essentially: "get used to it, it is a rear wheel drive car...").

Can anyone tell me is there is to be expected a "torque" effect, and, if so to what side?

Thanks much folks,
Old 12-03-07, 02:14 PM
hhnyc
Driver School Candidate

Question

Hi,

I just picked up my new '08 IS 250 AWD last week, and I too, have noticed it pushing left. I picked it up with 17 miles on the odometer, and currently have about 200. For me, I don't notice it too much at low speeds, but at highway speeds, it consistently pushes left. At first, I thought it was my imagination, the road and/or the wind or some outside factor, but I've been on a variety of roads and it's always left. If I don't keep constant pressure and correction on the steering wheel, it will drift into the left lane...or the median. I'll probably take it to the dealership and report back with results, though I probably won't have time to do so for the next two weeks or so.

Also, I don't know whether the 2008 models come with the brakes that have the problem with the excessive brake dust that I've read about on this forum. On my car, the brakes seem...not so much sensitive...but more like EXTREMELY grabby...push too lightly and you're certain to slam into the car in front of you...push them down with a decent amount of force and you're hurling yourself forward...extremely difficult to find a middle ground. Anyone know if this is the effect of the older, excessive dust brakes, or the less dusty one?
Old 12-03-07, 03:24 PM
thisisj0
Driver

yeah i too feel my car studdering to the left wheni brake moderate or hard sometimes but i think its due to the fact that the gravel may not be as even as it should. The only time i find it happening is when i think about running a yellow and ten all of a sudden it turns red and i hit the brakes a tad bit and the car steering wheel goes to the left
Old 12-08-07, 04:21 AM
dmccoach
Driver School Candidate

So far, my dealer has "m"aligned it twice (no change), and they are now getting the Lexus rep. involved. I believe it is tires ( http://my.is/forums/f126/alignment-p...ussion-288298/ ), but I am also betting they don't want to admit that because they do not want to pay for tires.

I will update all after I speak to the Lexus rep.

Originally Posted by thisisj0
yeah i too feel my car studdering to the left wheni brake moderate or hard sometimes but i think its due to the fact that the gravel may not be as even as it should. The only time i find it happening is when i think about running a yellow and ten all of a sudden it turns red and i hit the brakes a tad bit and the car steering wheel goes to the left

Last edited by dmccoach; 12-08-07 at 04:28 AM.
Old 12-08-07, 07:59 PM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

dunlops had a lot of problems with the car drifting to the right, bridgestones fixed the problem on many vehicles
Old 02-18-08, 07:00 AM
dmccoach
Driver School Candidate

Just thought I would update the thread - the Lexus Dealer replaced the Dunlaps with Michelins - TADA! This car now tracks and handles wonderfully... Those (OEM) Dunlaps were "bouncy" and "shimmy" and must have had conicity issues because the dealer had aligned it twice to no avail, but the Michelins are like wonderful - it feels like a whole new car.

Good luck to all.

p.s. I have about 5k miles on it, so the OEM's were real new.
Old 02-18-08, 08:16 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 4,042 Likes on 2,448 Posts

SportMaxxes on the 06's did the same thing from time to time. There is a full TSIB for determining the source of pulls when driving, and if nothing else works, they WILL replace the tires under warranty.

Any tech telling me my car has torque steer would get such a verbal berating he would never want to talk to a customer again. That's the most flagrant lie I've ever heard for why a RWD car would pull under acceleration.