Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

rotor resurface ?

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-07, 12:27 AM
702/350
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default rotor resurface ?

I'm going in to replace my pads has anyone had to resurface their rotors @ a Lexus dealership ? How much $ (+/-) ?
Old 11-23-07, 12:37 AM
VIS250P
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Depend how thick the rotor is? Go to autoparts and buy measurement tool to measure the rotors..
Old 11-23-07, 05:05 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by 702/350
I'm going in to replace my pads has anyone had to resurface their rotors @ a Lexus dealership ? How much $ (+/-) ?
A Lexus dealer resurfaced my rotors with the brake pad TSB and charged me a ridiculous $219 with tax.I biatched in and sent an email to the Service Manager and recieved a credit for that amount on my credit card a day or two later.

Last edited by Joeb427; 11-23-07 at 06:30 AM.
Old 11-23-07, 06:27 AM
Gernby
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I would not allow anyone to resurface my rotors. If they are scored so badly that they can't be reused as they are, then they should just be replaced.

That said ... I would just change the pads myself anyway...
Old 11-23-07, 06:32 AM
Gernby
Lexus Champion

There's been quite a bit of discussion about the reasons not to resurface rotors, but here's a good opinion from lobuxracer.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...4&postcount=53
Old 11-23-07, 06:33 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Gernby
I would not allow anyone to resurface my rotors. If they are scored so badly that they can't be reused as they are, then they should just be replaced.

That said ... I would just change the pads myself anyway...
A rotor should be able to accept a light cut without any problems.
I've had rotors cut on vehicles before and never had a problem.
If he has 20K miles on his rotors versus say 5K miles,they most likely will need a cut rather than a 5K rotor sand paper scuffing,IMO..
Old 11-23-07, 06:58 AM
ReLexin
Lexus Champion

Buy a new set off ebay.
Old 11-23-07, 07:00 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Another Lexus dealer ripoff.
My dealer charges $219 to cut two rotors when you can buy two OEM rotors for a list price of $259.56.

According to Lexus of Pembroke Pines online parts catalog.

http://www.trademotion.com/partlocat...06&catalogid=1
Old 11-23-07, 07:18 AM
Gernby
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Joeb427
A rotor should be able to accept a light cut without any problems.
I've had rotors cut on vehicles before and never had a problem.
If he has 20K miles on his rotors versus say 5K miles,they most likely will need a cut rather than a 5K rotor sand paper scuffing,IMO..
There's tons of things that you can do without any problems, but that doesn't mean you should do them. I just replaced my OEM front pads with the new low dust pads at 24K miles, and I didn't resurface my rotors. They did fine, and I didn't have to give up any of my precious rotor mass.
Old 11-23-07, 07:42 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

There's tons of things that you can do without any problems, but that doesn't mean you should do them. I just replaced my OEM front pads with the new low dust pads at 24K miles, and I didn't resurface my rotors. They did fine, and I didn't have to give up any of my precious rotor mass.

When I experience any problem with a resurfaced rotor,I'll just buy new rotors.
At 24K miles,did you check your runout before installing the pads or just throw the pads on and they feel good?
Old 11-23-07, 07:54 AM
Gernby
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Joeb427
When I experience any problem with a resurfaced rotor,I'll just buy new rotors.
At 24K miles,did you check your runout before installing the pads or just throw the pads on and they feel good?
Resurfaced rotors will also use up a lot more pad material during the bedding process, so it isn't just the rotors that are wasted. If you bed in new brakes on resurfaced rotors, then again on new rotors, you might find that you've thrown away 10% of your new pads.

I didn't check runout, but there are no vibrations, so I wouldn't suspect any issues.
Old 11-23-07, 07:56 AM
Gernby
Lexus Champion

FWIW, if there was excessive runout, then I would definitely throw them away. Resurfacing a warped rotor would be silly since the resurfacing wouldn't straighten the veins so they would warp even quicker the second time.
Old 11-23-07, 08:02 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Resurfaced rotors will also use up a lot more pad material during the bedding process, so it isn't just the rotors that are wasted. If you bed in new brakes on resurfaced rotors, then again on new rotors, you might find that you've thrown away 10% of your new pads.

I didn't check runout, but there are no vibrations, so I wouldn't suspect any issues.
Gernby,I'm not really worried about a bit more use of pad material or rotor wear.I'd go for rotors on the next brake job if I still own this car.

On your 24K change...
I've read people here had the brake pad TSB done and the dealer resurfaced or gave then new rotors for free.I'm betting most with under 24K miles.
Do you think the dealers would do resurfacing or rotors for free that if just throwing pads on would work?
You may be fine and I hope you are but I'd want to know for sure.
Old 11-23-07, 08:04 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

FWIW, if there was excessive runout, then I would definitely throw them away. Resurfacing a warped rotor would be silly since the resurfacing wouldn't straighten the veins so they would warp even quicker the second time.
Obviously and the dealer would have told me if that was the case.A rotor usually can be cut once unless there is excessive runout.
Old 11-23-07, 09:16 AM
Gernby
Lexus Champion

The dealer probably would have resurfaced them. That's why I didn't take it to them. In situations like these, the dealer will almost always do whatever works out best for them. If they had new rotors in stock, then they would probably replace them, and charge Lexus for them. Otherwise, they'll resurface the rotors, and charge Lexus for that.

It's this kind of crap that made me vow to never pay a mechanic to do something that I could do myself. The only work that I've NOT done myself in the last 13 years was a warranty transmission replacement. I would much rather do it myself so I know it's done right even if it would be "free".

Quick Reply: rotor resurface ?