Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.
View Poll Results: Bilstein/Hyperocoil-spring combo OR Tanabe Sustec Pro Five with TEAS?
Bilstein Shocks with Hypercoil Springs coilovers
53.13%
Tanabe Sustec Pro Five coilovers with TEAS
46.88%
Voters: 32. You may not vote on this poll

Bilstein vs. Tanabe Sustec Pro Five Coilovers?

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-07, 11:45 PM
dejacky
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bilstein vs. Tanabe Sustec Pro Five Coilovers?

How do you all think the Bilstein shock + Hypercoil-spring coilover compares to the new Tanabe Sustec Pro Five Coilovers with TEAS Control (automatically adjusts dampening in real-time based on speed & user program settings) for the Supra.

Tanabe TEAS:
http://www.horsepowerfreaks.com/pric...on_Accessories

Tanabe Sustec Pro 5 Coilovers for Supra:
http://www.horsepowerfreaks.com/pric...ustec_Pro_Five

Supra Bilstein Shock w/ Hypercoil Springs:
http://www.supraforums.com/forum/sho...light=bilstein
Old 12-02-07, 08:03 AM
clevercat
Lead Lap

My personal choice is Tein Flex + EDFC.
It's hard to beat the combo.

If I have to pick between two crappy suspension packages, I rather go with Bilstein Shock w/ Hypercoil Springs than Tanabe crap.
Old 12-02-07, 10:30 AM
5sp_jzz30
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

IMHO i dont like tein. i would only get it if i got a really good deal on it. id rather get stance coilovers. the Bilstein setup is actually pretty nice except for the fact that it is not damping adjustable, only height. the tanabe stuff is not bad, but i wouldnt get the damping controller. its extra crap you dont need.
Old 08-01-08, 05:08 PM
gixxerdrew
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by clevercat
My personal choice is Tein Flex + EDFC.
It's hard to beat the combo.

If I have to pick between two crappy suspension packages, I rather go with Bilstein Shock w/ Hypercoil Springs than Tanabe crap.
What exactly is crappy about bilsteins and hypercoils? That exact combination is used on everything from Le Mans cars to Nascar.
Old 08-03-08, 10:53 PM
Mattmannz
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have the Tein CST's and am thinking about going to the Bilsteins. Bilstein make some of the best dampers in the world.

The Tein's aren't valved properly, I can't adjust compression and rebound separately and it's impossible to get it setup properly for our roads.

Matt.
Old 08-03-08, 11:47 PM
TheMole
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Do your CST's feel unstable on rough roads?
Old 08-04-08, 08:07 AM
gixxerdrew
Driver School Candidate

Due to the typical JDM shock linear valving, if you want to achieve sufficient damping in the low speed regions (contributing mostly to stable feeling in corners) you have to move the adjusters stiff, the problem here is that while you get closer to critical in low speed regions you reach 200%+ of critical (way overdamped) in the high speed regions which leads to associated ride comfort problems. Pick your poison.

I've heard rumors of some people managing to get teins revalved you could talk to tein about a more optimal valving or you can buy a shock with a better valving.
Old 08-05-08, 02:16 AM
Mattmannz
Pole Position

I wouldn't say they are unstable, just the rebound isn't optimal.

I had non adjustable blsteins before and they are good.

Matt.
Old 08-05-08, 06:50 AM
mr2tosc4
Lexus Test Driver

Nice to see you join here GixxerDrew! 3000k miles now and counting on the bilstein-hyperco setup and loving every minute of it. I still can't get over how the setup is so value for the money, i used the 500/300 setup and it is perfect for spirited DD for the sc. i'm pretty sure once i swap out to supra sways it'll be perfect. i don't have experience with Tanabe but heard mixed reviews so can't comment.
Old 08-07-08, 06:14 AM
gixxerdrew
Driver School Candidate

Hey guys I have actually been on here for a while from when I had my SC. Which is what I originally designed this susp for in 2004...

Thank you for the compliment! everyone who has commented to me after installing the suspension has been very happy. I have 3-4 people who came from teins and said they would never go back.

Originally Posted by Mattmannz
I wouldn't say they are unstable, just the rebound isn't optimal.

I had non adjustable blsteins before and they are good.

Matt.
I'll qualify that statement a bit. The improper rebound damping will cause you to lose more grip mid corner if you hit a bump. When you rebound too much (from lack of rebound damping in the speed range in question) you unload the suspension (less grip) so what happens is you end up going slower through the corner so you dont exceed grip availble or bumps cause the car to upset easier. That is what I mean by that.
Old 08-07-08, 01:13 PM
TheMole
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by gixxerdrew

I'll qualify that statement a bit. The improper rebound damping will cause you to lose more grip mid corner if you hit a bump. When you rebound too much (from lack of rebound damping in the speed range in question) you unload the suspension (less grip) so what happens is you end up going slower through the corner so you dont exceed grip availble or bumps cause the car to upset easier. That is what I mean by that.

This is what I feel sometimes in the street. During mid-turn I hit a patch of uneven surface and the car feels like it is slightly wobbly and not planted. I have my Tein CS at the 8 setting all around. I was thinking it could be the urethane swaybar bushings, endlinks, other suspension bushings, or alignment. So should I stiffen up the damping?

I have daizen steering rack/swaybar bushings, fairly new supra front lcas, and tein cs on is350 wheels with pretty new bridgestones.

Last edited by TheMole; 08-07-08 at 01:34 PM.
Old 08-08-08, 01:30 AM
evileagle
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Ive had the billsteins for about 3000 miles not too and I must say im really impressed with them. The valving for the shocks are perfect for the spring rates, so having adjustable valving wasnt an issue for me. I wouldnt think twice about recommending the setup....
Old 08-10-08, 09:47 AM
gixxerdrew
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by sc300max
This is what I feel sometimes in the street. During mid-turn I hit a patch of uneven surface and the car feels like it is slightly wobbly and not planted. I have my Tein CS at the 8 setting all around. I was thinking it could be the urethane swaybar bushings, endlinks, other suspension bushings, or alignment. So should I stiffen up the damping?

I have daizen steering rack/swaybar bushings, fairly new supra front lcas, and tein cs on is350 wheels with pretty new bridgestones.
Well you can dial back the ***** to decrease the destabilization in mid corner bumps but then your losing grip because the low speed will be underdamped. You can play with it to find the best middle point but your just dealing with a less than optimal valving.
Old 08-10-08, 12:03 PM
2jzlex
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by gixxerdrew
Due to the typical JDM shock linear valving, if you want to achieve sufficient damping in the low speed regions (contributing mostly to stable feeling in corners) you have to move the adjusters stiff, the problem here is that while you get closer to critical in low speed regions you reach 200%+ of critical (way overdamped) in the high speed regions which leads to associated ride comfort problems. Pick your poison.

I've heard rumors of some people managing to get teins revalved you could talk to tein about a more optimal valving or you can buy a shock with a better valving.
All of you should be listening to this guy. If he is who I think he is and did this writeup, http://www.supraforums.com/forum/sho...d.php?t=446817
he could teach us all something.

I definately plan on using that setup in the future, keep up the awesome contributions drew.
Old 02-22-09, 03:11 AM
wald.sc400
BANNED for ripping off other members

no question, NO CONTEST...bilsteins all the way

Quick Reply: Bilstein vs. Tanabe Sustec Pro Five Coilovers?