Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Lexus wants to deny my Brake TSB recall claim!

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-07, 05:18 AM
jejagua
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Can anyone tell me if the TSB applies to an '08 IS250? Did they change the brakes in '08? (doubtful in my opinion). I have lots of dust.

On a side note, (pardon the off-topic question), but will any Lexus dealer do the same services for free like the dealer I purchased the car from? (i.e. washing, etc..)

Last edited by jejagua; 12-10-07 at 05:31 AM. Reason: Minor spelling correction
Old 12-08-07, 02:07 PM
Evitzee
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by jejagua
Can anyone tell me if the TSB applies to an '08 IS250? Did they change the breaks in '08? (doubtful in my opinion). I have lots of dust.

On a side note, (pardon the off-topic question), but will any Lexus dealer do the same services for free like the dealer I purchased the car from? (i.e. washing, etc..)
I believe it does.

Yes, another Lexus dealer will give you the same services. I bought mine from one dealer 250 miles away and have never been back, all service is done by local Lexus dealer. Same perks, and now I get service coupons from the new dealer.
Old 12-10-07, 10:13 AM
jejagua
Driver

Sorry to perpetuate this emotional thread, but I have a somewhat similar problem.

The dealer declined my request to have the low dust pads installed on my '08 IS250 (2k mi, virtually no wear).

The service rep said the TSIB doesn't apply to the '08. He didn't seem confident, but he said the '08 defaults with low dust pads...which I think is bull. Can anyone verify this? Does the '08 come with P/N: 43512-30310 which are installed as the corrective action in the '06-'07 TSIB (BR002-06)?

It doesn't add up because I have excessive dust, requiring daily cleaning. Either Lexus hasn't updated the TSIB for '08 and the rep used that as an opportunity to decline me service, or it's fixed and the dust just exceeds what I would expect if the default pads were changed in the '08.

Called Lexus prior to going, told them I have '08 wanted the TSIB..approved..CHECK
Checked the car in at Park Place, Plano, TX..spoke to svc rep..approved..CHECK
They took the car back, 30 min later returned to me, declined...FAIL
Old 12-10-07, 10:23 AM
carlos
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

As far as I know... all ('06-'08) IS come stock with the original dusty pads. The less dusty pads came out as an ALTERNATIVE due to all the complaints they received about dust.
Old 12-11-07, 10:09 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 4,004 Likes on 2,426 Posts

I'm still marveling at how you guys kill brake pads in 30k. I've only done that on my race bikes at the track. Never with anything on the street.

However, I can understand the complaint about the noise at start up - I have it too and it's intermittent. I can also understand the frustration with things not working as you'd hoped. But brake pads have a very clear disclaimer - some people wear them fast, others do not. Lexus says don't be surprised if they only last you 20k. I had my pads changed for the TSIB pads at 21k, but I had about 18% pad wear at 21k. No where near metal on metal.
Old 12-13-07, 08:02 PM
S54toIS350
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by lobuxracer
I'm still marveling at how you guys kill brake pads in 30k. I've only done that on my race bikes at the track. Never with anything on the street.

However, I can understand the complaint about the noise at start up - I have it too and it's intermittent. I can also understand the frustration with things not working as you'd hoped. But brake pads have a very clear disclaimer - some people wear them fast, others do not. Lexus says don't be surprised if they only last you 20k. I had my pads changed for the TSIB pads at 21k, but I had about 18% pad wear at 21k. No where near metal on metal.
Word!

My brakes is Fubared.

Here is my latest finding of the "brake" noise.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=323936
Old 12-14-07, 07:55 AM
Chaser07
Driver

Default My Brakes..

Originally Posted by S54toIS350
Word!

My brakes is Fubared.

Here is my latest finding of the "brake" noise.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=323936
I think I had my break pads replaced at 14k miles with my 15k check up... I had a Tahoe for 2 years & don't think I ever had the pads replaced, even with 60k miles. But when I got them done on my '07 350 I didn't do the new break pads due to the recall because the service advisor started giving me rebuttles and I didn't feel like dealing with him at the time. Plus I heard these is decrease performance with the new ones anways

If you want to have this done, you ALWAYS have to DEMAND it from the "Service Manager" @ Lexus dealerships. They hate confrentation & will just about always give in when and issue makes it that far up the chain of command.
Old 04-04-08, 01:35 PM
skingsland
Driver

Question

Originally Posted by Joeb427
I'm amazed at how people can actually think a worn out brake pad should now be changed to a dustless brake pad because of a TSB.
They would probably expect to get free resurfacing or rotors too.
How much of the brake pad would you say needs to remain, in order for a person to reasonably ask Lexus to replace the pads under the Brake Dust TSIB?

For example:

2/32: customer pays for new brake pads ASAP
3/32: customer pays for new brake pads?
4/32: ?
8/32: dealer replaces pads free under TSIB?

?
Old 04-04-08, 02:02 PM
jejagua
Driver

Originally Posted by skingsland
How much of the brake pad would you say needs to remain, in order for a person to reasonably ask Lexus to replace the pads under the Brake Dust TSIB?
The amount of wear is irrelevant. The terms of the warranty under the TSIB are as follows:

Applicable Warranty*:
This repair is covered under the Lexus Comprehensive Warranty. This warranty is in effect for 48 months or 50,000 miles, whichever occurs first, from the vehicle’s in-service date.

There is no mention of wear in the TSIB. Obviously it would be reasonable for the dealer to charge for new rotors / resurfacing, etc.. if required during the installation of the new pads...but the same cost is associated with replacing pads with 2k mi vs 30k mi.
Old 04-04-08, 02:25 PM
fluxx
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

the tsib is only for the 06-07 models. but lucky enough for me my dealership went ahead and will be changing my break pads for me this wed. they opened a "tas case" so it was something special they were implying for the 08 models. they kinda hesitated doing it, but in the end they said it wasnt a problem.
Old 04-04-08, 02:46 PM
skingsland
Driver

Originally Posted by jejagua
Obviously it would be reasonable for the dealer to charge for new rotors / resurfacing, etc.. if required during the installation of the new pads...but the same cost is associated with replacing pads with 2k mi vs 30k mi.
Yeah, this is my problem: the pads only cost $100, but the cost of replacing the rotors is $800.
Old 04-04-08, 09:11 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

IS350 Lexus pads have a MSRP of $59.95 per axle as do almost all Lexus brake pads. More than that is a ripoff.

Front rotors at MSRP are $135.33 (left) and $156.49 (right). Again, any more is theft. They don't charge more than MSRP for the car, why would they double or triple MSRP for parts? Because they're thieves?

So replacing both front rotors and pads is $351.77 in parts at MSRP. If you order parts through our CL sponsors, they will save you money off these prices. The prices I quoted are full sticker price, not discounted at all. I can't believe for the life of me your rear pads or rotors are anywhere near needing replacement.

skingsland - your dealer is a thief. I would advise him he needs to reconsider his parts pricing or I would reconsider doing any business with him. And you absolutely do NOT need to buy rotors. They are (again!) ripping you off.
Old 04-06-08, 02:30 PM
skingsland
Driver

Originally Posted by lobuxracer
IS350 Lexus pads have a MSRP of $59.95 per axle as do almost all Lexus brake pads. More than that is a ripoff.

Front rotors at MSRP are $135.33 (left) and $156.49 (right). Again, any more is theft. They don't charge more than MSRP for the car, why would they double or triple MSRP for parts? Because they're thieves?

So replacing both front rotors and pads is $351.77 in parts at MSRP. If you order parts through our CL sponsors, they will save you money off these prices. The prices I quoted are full sticker price, not discounted at all. I can't believe for the life of me your rear pads or rotors are anywhere near needing replacement.

skingsland - your dealer is a thief. I would advise him he needs to reconsider his parts pricing or I would reconsider doing any business with him. And you absolutely do NOT need to buy rotors. They are (again!) ripping you off.
Well, you bring up a good point. I asked my service adviser if the parts dept. charges MSRP on parts, and he said that Lexus doesn't have an "MSRP" price on parts, so they set their own prices. He said in some cases it's higher than other dealers, and in some cases it's lower. I haven't called around yet to find out what the other DC area dealers are charging, but I wouldn't be surprised if it's in that same ballpark. I'll do that this week.

Do you have a website that you can point me to which shows MSRP prices for Lexus OEM parts? If I could point my dealer to that, they'd have to acknowledge they're overcharging me or match the price. (Or maybe that's wishful thinking... )
Old 04-06-08, 02:36 PM
iKenn
Just call me "Sprinkes"

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

i got denied TWICE haha at two dealerships.
Old 04-06-08, 10:47 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Carson is a CL sponsor. They have all the MSRP pricing there.

Your dealer is lying about MSRP on parts. I would choose to go elsewhere, or I would print out the website(s) (you can Google "trademotion Lexus" and get LOTS of websites with Lexus MSRP for parts) and ask him to explain why all these websites show the same MSRP and have lower sale prices than MSRP for any Lexus part.

Quick Reply: Lexus wants to deny my Brake TSB recall claim!