Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

springs vs. coilovers (springs worth it?)

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-07, 12:48 AM
ndk83
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default springs vs. coilovers (springs worth it?)

me and my cuz were having a debate about suspension in general, i told him iw as gonna drop my car on some springs, he told me that if i didnt go the coilover route its not worth gettin springs. springs only improve rebound and not compression therefore on wont improve taking turns. I told him lowering the center of gravity would improve handling on its own and he said that itll only help if ur taking turns at really high speeds which in everyday driving i wont. I know coilovers are better than springs on their own, but i wanted to know if springs alone improve handling? im not gonna get coilovers anytime soon but i want to know if my money would be better spent on something else. are springs purely asthetic? or will i get some improvement in handling or is it really marginal.
Old 12-20-07, 01:13 AM
VIS250P
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

In my mind, depend how low you wanna go? The lower spring, u cant go any drop u want.. The coilover, it come with different height and u can adjust low or high setting.. The 2nd IS need aftermarket shocks but there is a new ISF Blisten shocks coming up soon.. I believe the ISF Blisten gonna cost lots of money but it is a shock.. Coilover come with shocks, springs, sometime top hats and adjust the damper soft or stiffer.. I rather save money to buy TEIN SS or Megan LS coilover..
Old 12-20-07, 01:33 AM
Chambers
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you're making a "coilover vs springs" thread, just go with the springs. hahaha. you'll be saving a lot of money.

If you're serious about "handling" you should know you should start else where.
The way I see it, lowering springs are just for looks. coilovers on a lexus? Still for looks. Lexus and handling? Stay stock unless you're out to track your car.
oh yeah, no lowering springs will improve your handling. No matter what those companies tell you. Same goes for coilovers, really. You have to know how to set it up.

I'm not sure with what situation you're in so i blabbed that out, but from by re reading your first sentence of you wanted to drop your car, I think you should just get springs.

Last edited by Chambers; 12-20-07 at 01:49 AM.
Old 12-20-07, 01:37 AM
llamaboiz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

springs/shocks are best for the street, coilovers are more for the 'i got coils' type guys, really if its a car that not gonna be tracked/scca/autox coils are overkill for the street. If you want the drop look but are looking for something more than just springs, go with Air Runner or someother type of adjustable air suspension. Then you be BALLIN!
Old 12-20-07, 06:01 AM
ndk83
Pole Position

hahaha yea if i had the extra loot id bust out the air suspension, but yea im def not gonna track the car, it is a lex after all, the car is a pushover. here in dubai the roads are big and smooth and speeding isnt a big deal as cops wont pull u over for speading or attacking a corner aggressively, i was kinda hoping that by adding springs the car will handle better on the curvies, but i guess not. i wanted to do it primerly for better cornering but i guess springs will be purely for show.
Old 12-20-07, 06:04 AM
ndk83
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Chambers
If you're making a "coilover vs springs" thread, just go with the springs. hahaha. you'll be saving a lot of money.

If you're serious about "handling" you should know you should start else where.
The way I see it, lowering springs are just for looks. coilovers on a lexus? Still for looks. Lexus and handling? Stay stock unless you're out to track your car.

yea i thought i could fix the handling thing, but guess there is no easy fix. still i guess having a lower center of gravity will help a bit (i hope).

btw wat do u mean i by "If you're serious about "handling" you should know you should start else where." u mean i should have started with a better car like an evo wrx or bimmer? or rather should be doin soemthing else to the lex?????
Old 12-20-07, 06:53 AM
gsrthomas
Lexus Champion

Just get H&R springs.

Lets think realistically. Everyone I have known never really adjusted their coilovers. It costs money to adjust them. Its not that simple as someone might think.

Springs are fine, I'm about to purchase the H&R's.
Old 12-20-07, 07:08 AM
ndk83
Pole Position

im gettin tein s.techs
Old 12-20-07, 09:16 AM
lexus250
Pole Position

I adjust my coils when i go to shows and on long trips it takes abut 20 min to adjust them, but i think its worth every penny. Also i cant say if the car handles better on a track but i can tell you hands down it feels like it does, i have to compare it to my friends 330i with sport suspension.
Old 12-20-07, 09:22 AM
Batmobile
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

depends where you live i wouldn't go springs... your talking to all these guys that DON'T GET SNOW... or rarely do... not sure how much snow you get but i live in the northeast and being able to raise my car during the winter is a must

I would never go with springs again...
Old 12-21-07, 02:22 AM
Chambers
Driver

Originally Posted by ndk83
yea i thought i could fix the handling thing, but guess there is no easy fix. still i guess having a lower center of gravity will help a bit (i hope).

btw wat do u mean i by "If you're serious about "handling" you should know you should start else where." u mean i should have started with a better car like an evo wrx or bimmer? or rather should be doin soemthing else to the lex?????
Get some sticky *** tires if you haven't already