Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

rear brace and sway bars

Search this Thread

Old 12-25-07, 11:24 AM
ndk83
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default rear brace and sway bars

ok so finally got my s.techs installed, and although the car feels better during truns its still not as stable and as confident as i would like it to be. i know there has been some debate about wether or not the rear brace does much for spirited driving thru the twisties. but i was thinking of the toms rear brace coupled with a sway bar to additionally improve handling. can people who have installed these on their cars comment on how they feel this has improved. once again not tracking the car, but i do drive it aggressively on twisties from time to time. i enjoy pushing my baby and would love to see improvements in the handling department. i know its a lex ( = luxury) but im sure it can still be improved on
Old 12-25-07, 11:27 AM
LexFather

What do you mean not as stable and confident? What kind of tires are you running?
Old 12-25-07, 10:53 PM
ndk83
Pole Position

running michelin pilot sports. dont get me wrong the handling is alright, but i would like it to be more rigid, wanna reduce body roll in the turns and make it more planted. im assuming the brace and sway bars would give me that (hopefully?) i know alot of people here are sketpical about the braces sayin it adds more weight and performance enhancement is neglible because of that and due to our tires threshold for grip being lower than the bars rendering them useless.
Old 12-25-07, 10:57 PM
LexFather

Great tires.
Well Sway bars do help tons with handling and limiting body roll. Additional braces help with keeping the car "tight" when the car is in a corner. The more braces, the tighter the car will feel (and the more imperfections in teh road you will feel).

One of the drawbacks with adding mods is unless you really have time to take them on/off and try different ones, you can't really adjust anything.

Some sway bars are adjustable, which helps you fine tune your suspension.

Good luck!
Old 12-25-07, 11:13 PM
ndk83
Pole Position

im thinkin toms 6 pc brace kit for the rear and i heard someone mention a trd sway bar. if anyone has any info on the trd sway bar pls let me know.
also if anyone would recommend any other sway bars id appreciate it!!

btw 1iscklex: wat suspension mobs u got runnin on ur gs? looks good btww
Old 12-26-07, 07:01 AM
Gernby
Lexus Champion

I would go with the Hotchkis sway bars since the rear bar is adjustable. Depending on the types of roads you drive on, they might make things better or worse. Stiff sway bars will actually reduce grip on uneven surfaces. They will also make the car less forgiving. Actually, anything you do to stiffen the chassis / suspension will ultimately increase the penalties for driver error.
Old 12-26-07, 01:54 PM
ndk83
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Gernby
I would go with the Hotchkis sway bars since the rear bar is adjustable. Depending on the types of roads you drive on, they might make things better or worse. Stiff sway bars will actually reduce grip on uneven surfaces. They will also make the car less forgiving. Actually, anything you do to stiffen the chassis / suspension will ultimately increase the penalties for driver error.
gernby i know ur not a fan of the braces, but good to hear that the sway bars have the potential to improve handling. The roads here are pretty smooth for the most part. despite wat u said im still very interested in that sway bar. guess im gonna have to sharpen up my driving skills if thats the case. im gonna do some research
Old 12-27-07, 11:22 AM
Wheel Boy
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just helped my buddy install the Tanabe Strut bar, and under brace. The handling is amazing now. He is still saving up his funds to get their sway bars.
Old 12-28-07, 05:42 AM
ndk83
Pole Position

did u drive it? since people are really skeptical about the strut bar, im gonna go out on a limb and say most of the improvement is from the underbrace. do u know wat kinda underbrace hes got? rear or front ?
Old 12-28-07, 10:33 AM
Wheel Boy
Rookie

Originally Posted by ndk83
did u drive it? since people are really skeptical about the strut bar, im gonna go out on a limb and say most of the improvement is from the underbrace. do u know wat kinda underbrace hes got? rear or front ?
I did get to drive it. It was real responsive on the turns. We installed the rear brace. The front is ordered but was on backorder. Both are Tanabe. I can't waiting to install that one and see the difference. I can't say which is the one that helped the most since we installed both before taking it out. But I'm sure that it helps that both are on.

Last edited by Wheel Boy; 12-28-07 at 10:35 AM. Reason: Forgot something.
Old 12-28-07, 03:29 PM
ndk83
Pole Position

nice!! btw wat kinda suspension is he running? stock, springs or coils?
Old 01-02-08, 02:27 PM
Wheel Boy
Rookie

Originally Posted by ndk83
nice!! btw wat kinda suspension is he running? stock, springs or coils?
He's running NF210 springs.
Old 01-02-08, 09:24 PM
TLP_IS350
Pole Position

wow tanabe everything huh? so quick Q. Can u upgrade the sway bars without an aftermarket coilover?
Old 01-03-08, 09:47 AM
Wheel Boy
Rookie

Originally Posted by TLP_IS350
wow tanabe everything huh? so quick Q. Can u upgrade the sway bars without an aftermarket coilover?
We were told that you can. We haven't installed sway bars on his car so I can not say anything for sure.