Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

New Shocks. Is it worth it?

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-09, 09:23 PM
Evil Teo
Lead Lap

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by CHAPIN33
agreed the guy at the shop charge me 1K for springs and life time warranty shocks from TRD.
dam 1k springs never heard of that. u should be payin around 200-300. wait for coilovers. should be out by tax return season.
Old 02-03-09, 06:00 AM
Keith13b
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by CHAPIN33
Is it worth to install brand new shocks if i install new springs or will the spring be enough.
The guy at the shop said that if i am not an agressive driver i dont need to buy new shocks but one day i will need them anyways.
Can anyone advise?

thanks in advance.
The key here is how many miles do you have on your shocks, and are they OEM? Typically stock shocks last 30-50K miles based on driving habits. If you are above 30K miles, I'd spring for a new set (no pun intended). You will have to replace them sooner or later, so why pay labor twice down the road. Also, most people are totally unaware that their shocks are fading. Shocks are usually changed on a timed interval; not when they fail. If anyone had a shock "fail" on them, then they didn't maintain them properly. It is quite difficult to tell when the shock is worn; but easy to tell when it is completely shot. Don't wait until it is completely gone or you will have bigger problems on your hands - tire wear, bushing fatigue, steering/toe issues, etc.

If you have some aftermarket shocks, then they will have a longer lifespan under daily driving conditions. If you track the car, expect to replace them sooner.

If money is very tight, you can coast on the original shocks and replace them later, but think of the added cost for the labor a year down the road to replace them. You can save that money now. Its up to you. Good luck with your decision.

Keith