Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

New Shocks. Is it worth it?

Search this Thread

Old 12-25-07, 08:44 PM
CHAPIN33
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Shocks. Is it worth it?

Is it worth to install brand new shocks if i install new springs or will the spring be enough.
The guy at the shop said that if i am not an agressive driver i dont need to buy new shocks but one day i will need them anyways.
Can anyone advise?

thanks in advance.
Old 12-25-07, 08:52 PM
inxexisten
Lead Lap

Its not worth it unless you plan to go to the track...the guy is right...
Old 12-25-07, 08:57 PM
ek9vboi
Lexus Champion

Yup, plus our stock shocks are made either by tokico (friend's 07 is250) or KYB (my gs350)
Old 12-25-07, 09:00 PM
CHAPIN33
Pole Position

Originally Posted by inxexisten
Its not worth it unless you plan to go to the track...the guy is right...
but how soon am i gonna need new shocks?
Old 12-25-07, 09:04 PM
Hartawan
Former Vendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am on springs with stock shocks. Why get spring and shocks when you can get coilovers?
Old 12-25-07, 09:06 PM
CHAPIN33
Pole Position

Originally Posted by walter250
I would suggest you do change your struts. Anytime you lower your car you are putting stress on the factory parts. Most shops will tell you it is not required, but I can tell you from previous experience (Civic Si, Acura CL-S, G35 Coupe) I lowered the car with springs and 2 out of the 3 had struts/shocks go bad (leak) within 3 months. From now on I will only go with a coilover setup. Why pay for for labor twice? in my opinion it is better to save the $$ and do it right the first time. On the other hand I'm sure you will find plenty of guys on the forum who are just running springs and have had no problems. Just my .02
thanks for all the info.
Old 12-25-07, 09:17 PM
CHAPIN33
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Hartawan
I am on springs with stock shocks. Why get spring and shocks when you can get coilovers?
agreed the guy at the shop charge me 1K for springs and life time warranty shocks from TRD.
Old 12-25-07, 10:11 PM
DJKIBBLES
Pole Position

A LITTLE OFF TOPIC... Im not even running on any springs, but my shocks are out ALREADY!!! I only have 15000 miles does anyone know what might be the reason? my rims? hit too many bumps? and does anyone know whether it is still covered under warranty?
Old 12-26-07, 08:41 AM
javyLSU
2IS OG

Received 31 Likes on 15 Posts

I would suggest you do change your struts. Anytime you lower your car you are putting stress on the factory parts. Most shops will tell you it is not required, but I can tell you from previous experience (Civic Si, Acura CL-S, G35 Coupe) I lowered the car with springs and 2 out of the 3 had struts/shocks go bad (leak) within 3 months. From now on I will only go with a coilover setup. Why pay for for labor twice? in my opinion it is better to save the $$ and do it right the first time. On the other hand I'm sure you will find plenty of guys on the forum who are just running springs and have had no problems. Just my .02
You must have slammed your car or had bad shocks already to have them leak within 3 months of changing springs. All shocks (and springs) eventually need replacement, but it also depends on the degree of the change. For the mild drop that everyone here is running, there's no need to change the shocks (unless the shocks are worn and need replacing to begin with). I have over 20,000 miles running Eibach springs on my stock Tokico shocks, and my suspension is still good as new.

Javier
Old 12-26-07, 05:44 PM
walter250
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by javyLSU
You must have slammed your car or had bad shocks already to have them leak within 3 months of changing springs. All shocks (and springs) eventually need replacement, but it also depends on the degree of the change. For the mild drop that everyone here is running, there's no need to change the shocks (unless the shocks are worn and need replacing to begin with). I have over 20,000 miles running Eibach springs on my stock Tokico shocks, and my suspension is still good as new.

Javier
Each of my previous cars were on a moderate drop no more than 1.5 inches. Also it depends on how long you plan to keep your car. The problem with any mod is the warranty issue. If your shock go bad while on lowering springs your out of luck, then you are going have to buy new shocks and pay for labor. Like I said, many guys on CL are running springs with no problem, I personal plan to keep my car for a while and don't want to worry about shocks going bad.
Old 12-26-07, 06:24 PM
Giggity
Pole Position

Each of my previous cars were on a moderate drop no more than 1.5 inches. Also it depends on how long you plan to keep your car.

Aggree with Javy, most if not all lowering springs are designed to work with stock shocks, if you had trouble with the seals going within 3 months, The finger of blame should be pointed at the ding dong that installed them!
Of the last 9 cars that I have lowered 2 were on stock shocks. I had one failure that I knew was my fault becuase I screwed up the shaft seal trying to blow the retaining nut off with an impact gun. My last car had 45K miles on it on 1.5 in lowering springs and stock shocks with zero issues (lowered the day it came home from the dealership)...
It blows my mind that people pay someone else to mod their car. If you don't learn how to work on your own car or at least take the time to research how stuff works you're at the mercy of the "professional" you are paying to screw with your car.
Old 02-02-09, 04:08 PM
TLP_IS350
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Giggity
Aggree with Javy, most if not all lowering springs are designed to work with stock shocks, if you had trouble with the seals going within 3 months, The finger of blame should be pointed at the ding dong that installed them!
Of the last 9 cars that I have lowered 2 were on stock shocks. I had one failure that I knew was my fault becuase I screwed up the shaft seal trying to blow the retaining nut off with an impact gun. My last car had 45K miles on it on 1.5 in lowering springs and stock shocks with zero issues (lowered the day it came home from the dealership)...
It blows my mind that people pay someone else to mod their car. If you don't learn how to work on your own car or at least take the time to research how stuff works you're at the mercy of the "professional" you are paying to screw with your car.
lol what he said
Old 02-02-09, 04:42 PM
projectdna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by CHAPIN33
Is it worth to install brand new shocks if i install new springs or will the spring be enough.
The guy at the shop said that if i am not an agressive driver i dont need to buy new shocks but one day i will need them anyways.
Can anyone advise?

thanks in advance.
i'm going on 15k w/ my s-techs, and my shocks are fine.

you will need new shocks some time in the future; as to when that will happen is anyone's guess.

sounds like the guy at the shop is trying to sell you stuff you don't need now.

Originally Posted by CHAPIN33
agreed the guy at the shop charge me 1K for springs and life time warranty shocks from TRD.
TRD makes shocks for the 2is? or are you talking about the f-sport shocks?

is it just me, or does this sound slightly suspicious?
Old 02-02-09, 05:13 PM
Coconut
Racer

Received 131 Likes on 58 Posts

Stock shocks with stock springs should last from 80k-120k+. I heard Stock shocks with aftermarket springs should last around 60k. Of course there are alot of factors to consider (aggresive driving, poor installation, drop height).
Old 02-02-09, 08:13 PM
love67
Lexus Test Driver

just wait a little bit longer for coilovers, they should be coming out soon.

Quick Reply: New Shocks. Is it worth it?