Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Daizen Steering Rack Bushing Replacement Questions?

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-07, 09:11 AM
blue99GS4
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Daizen Steering Rack Bushing Replacement Questions?

To all who have done this DYI,
I replaced my OE bushings with the Daizen bushings yesterday. During installation, I noticed the 2 short metal "pipes", which come with the Daizen bushings have larger inner diameters compared to the OE bushing metal pipes. This caused more free play of the 17mm bolts. Would this cause any misalignment?
Afterward, the steering does feel more solid with more positive feel. However, the car seems to pull slightly to the right at lower (~45 mph) speed. Hence, the above question. Any input is appreciated.
Thanks.
Old 12-30-07, 07:20 AM
ATL_GS430
Driver School Candidate

I just replaced mine too and noticed my steering wheel now sits off to the right slightly. I am told an alignment will take care of the problem, however, I suspect it has something to do with these bolts having more "free play" because changing out these bushings should not be cause to have an alignment.
Old 12-30-07, 09:24 AM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 79 Likes on 61 Posts

Are you guys talking about the metal sleeve that goes inside the bushings? I was looking at another set the other day and the quality of the sleeve is very disappointing compared to previous batch. But as long as it's torqued down, it might be okay. Those who installed the steering rack bushings with the previous batch had no problem with alignment. In fact, most of the guys never did an alignment afterwards. You may want to contact daizen about this.
Old 01-03-08, 11:09 AM
blue99GS4
Pole Position

I actually was a little bothered by that. However, I didn't have time or extra bushings to redo it. Therefore I bolted it up. I drove to LV and back last week and did not notice much difference in the alignment. However, we all know that does not mean that nothing is off. The steering feel is a little better. I am still not sure why the sleeving inner diameters have to be different compared to the O.E.M ones? I just email Daizen (phone numbers not listed). I'll keep you guys posted.
Old 01-03-08, 12:44 PM
bwilder10h
Driver

Please do. I just got the rack bushings today and want know the deal before installing...
Old 01-03-08, 12:54 PM
ECUgs430
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by blue99GS4
To all who have done this DYI,
I replaced my OE bushings with the Daizen bushings yesterday. During installation, I noticed the 2 short metal "pipes", which come with the Daizen bushings have larger inner diameters compared to the OE bushing metal pipes. This caused more free play of the 17mm bolts. Would this cause any misalignment?
Afterward, the steering does feel more solid with more positive feel. However, the car seems to pull slightly to the right at lower (~45 mph) speed. Hence, the above question. Any input is appreciated.
Thanks.
Mine have been causing the same probem. I got the alignment done and my car still pulls to the right at low speeds and when braking sometimes. Its just the play in the bolts. Over 60 on a flat highway it rides straight.
Old 01-03-08, 01:53 PM
GSteg
Rookie

When I installed my kit, the sleeves were perfect. No play at all. You can say I am disappointed with Daizen, even though I'm satisfied with the batch I had. The problem is having the customer wait almost a year, only to end up getting sleeves with play in it. I hope Daizen gives us an answer, or better yet, send out new sleeves that are equal to the quality of the old kit. If you take a look at the sleeve in the stickied DIY on the forum, you can see that the sleeve is gold in color, and it's quality. The new sleeve looks like a hack job to be honest.
Old 01-03-08, 02:47 PM
blue99GS4
Pole Position

Wow, someone else also has that pulling to the right at lower speed after installation of the new batch Daizen bushings. Any body else?
Yeah, I was stoked to recieve the bushings before my Vegas trip. I'm not sure what to do now...
Old 01-03-08, 03:30 PM
kevs98GS4
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by blue99GS4
Wow, someone else also has that pulling to the right at lower speed after installation of the new batch Daizen bushings. Any body else?

YEP......GOT THE SAME S****! Pisses me off too!~
Old 01-03-08, 04:31 PM
blue99GS4
Pole Position

Mods, could we make this a sticky? I just want the pontential consumers to be aware of this.
Thanks
Old 01-03-08, 05:07 PM
chrispy

Received 79 Likes on 37 Posts

This is really disappointing to hear. I don't know if I should even install the one I bought now.
Old 01-03-08, 05:22 PM
GSteg
Rookie

Originally Posted by chrispy
This is really disappointing to hear. I don't know if I should even install the one I bought now.
Would leave it out until you get a reply from Daizen. There should really be no play at all.
Old 01-03-08, 06:08 PM
bwilder10h
Driver

Originally Posted by chrispy
Same here. If anyone hears back on this please update this thread...
Old 01-03-08, 11:50 PM
dung0981
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am disappointed when i look at the new Daizen steering rack bushing. I guess made in china nowadays hehe
Old 01-04-08, 07:16 AM
rra640
Driver

I just installed mine a few weeks ago and didn't notice any play at all. Everything was snug.

I didn't notice a huge difference in handling, but the OEM bushings were in pretty poor shape... so it was a good replacement.

I woudl also contact the vendor and give them a change to resolve your issue.

Quick Reply: Daizen Steering Rack Bushing Replacement Questions?