Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Big Brake Kit

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-07, 05:37 PM
Lamchop21
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Big Brake Kit

I've searched around on the website and couldn't find anything on big brake kits. I have a 2000 GS300 and am very interested in getting a big brake kit. I was wondering what type of kits you guys recommend and how much. Thanks a lot

Lamchop21
Old 12-29-07, 09:43 AM
HKS GS300
Driver School Candidate

there are several companys that make bbk for our cars. Project Mu, Rotora, Brembo, RMM, APracing, Grex (greddy), Stoptech, I believe wilwood also makes one, and the cheapest route I believe is the supra brakes. These are the ones that I can think of off the top of my head.
Old 12-29-07, 09:48 AM
bluelex
Lexus Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by HKS GS300
there are several companys that make bbk for our cars. Project Mu, Rotora, Brembo, RMM, APracing, Grex (greddy), Stoptech, I believe wilwood also makes one, and the cheapest route I believe is the supra brakes. These are the ones that I can think of off the top of my head.

Basically hit it on the nose with the companies, plus there are Endless and sessions aswell...basically goes something like this:

Big Bucks- Endless, Project MU, Sessions.

A Nice buck- Brembo and AP racing, Greddy(Grex)

Medium Bucks- Rotora, Stoptech, Wilwood.

Small Bucks(compared to the others) SupraTT , LS430.

Tiny Bucks- Ebay Brembo covers that go over your OEM calipers...

In the end they all Work great from speaking to many people who have owned all these brands, so it comes down to your budget, and what look your going for. ( well all work great except the Ebay covers, they just give you the "look" of BBK...LOL)

Last edited by bluelex; 12-29-07 at 09:53 AM.
Old 12-29-07, 11:21 AM
LexFather

Originally Posted by Lamchop21
I've searched around on the website and couldn't find anything on big brake kits. I have a 2000 GS300 and am very interested in getting a big brake kit. I was wondering what type of kits you guys recommend and how much. Thanks a lot

Lamchop21
There are tons of threads in this forum. I suggest searching with the names Bluelex posted or search "brakes" in this forum.

Check this thread for instance
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...ghlight=brakes
Old 12-29-07, 01:00 PM
ShaneC
Lexus Champion

keep in mind with any bbk, your stock wheels will not fit over them.
Old 12-29-07, 03:30 PM
Lamchop21
Pole Position

I don't have stock wheels. I have ACE Supermesh 19x8.5 and 19x9.5
Old 12-29-07, 03:34 PM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,301 Likes on 1,402 Posts

Originally Posted by Lamchop21
I don't have stock wheels. I have ACE Supermesh 19x8.5 and 19x9.5
Many/most aftermarket wheels do not fit either, unless they're sized for big brakes.

What disk fittment are the fronts?

I'd also ask what you're looking to get out of the big brake kit. I'd assume it's primarily for looks / show?
Old 12-29-07, 04:06 PM
Lamchop21
Pole Position

I'd assume its the OEM disk fitment, but I don't really know. I haven't done anything to my brakes, I've only put rims on. I want the BBK more for performance. My brother has a G35 and my dad has a Z and I want a better reaction from my car when I step on the brakes like their cars.
Old 12-29-07, 05:21 PM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 79 Likes on 61 Posts

You'll definitely get better braking response with a BBK kit than OEM. If you're on a budget, look at the Supra or LS400 setup. They're not as big and flashy as the aftermarket, but they perform very good, especially for the price.

Dont expect any shorter braking distance with a BBk setup if that's your goal. The BBK is primarily for consistent braking performace.
Old 01-03-08, 02:26 AM
Neo
The One

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Also keep in mind that the more $$ kits mentioned are also lighter than OEM. They are also lighter than the "lower-budget" LS and SupraTT brakes. The weight loss is definitely noticeable in the handling department.
Old 01-03-08, 03:48 AM
JeffTsai
Lexus Fanatic

Received 43 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by GSteg
Dont expect any shorter braking distance with a BBk setup if that's your goal. The BBK is primarily for consistent braking performace.
You guys know me...I've done some back to back testing on a few sets of brakes. Testing is done at rated speed to a full stop.
1) OEM. Very powerful brakes for what they are(2piston 12.7" or so rotors). No noticable fade at 100% braking up to 70mph. At around 80-85mph the brakes get a little weak at around 20mph. At 90-100mph the brake fade gets a bit dangerous as the braking becomes weak at around 30mph. I didn't test any higher than that because it was getting a bit too squirrely after a few full force braking runs.

2) Supra TT. Very powerful brakes as well and quite a value. 4 large pistons w/12.9" rotors. Braking performance was nearly identical to stock up to about 70mph. These brakes held up very well all the way from a 120mph stop! I didn't test any higher than that because it was unsafe to do on the stretch of road I was on.

3) Rotora 355mm BBK on all four wheels. This is the setup I have on my car at the moment. My car is still down right now due to the engine swap. But once I get it up and running I'll post up some test results.

BTW: The stock brakes and TT brakes were activating the ABS at the 70mph mark. The TT brakes bit harder and abs activated with less brake pedal effort. I'd gamble that if you put some very sticky and wide tires on the front. The TT brakes would outbrake the OEM brakes on a 70-0mph test. With pretty much any brake system...the weakeast link is always going to be the tires.
Old 01-03-08, 09:33 AM
Alexus_300
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Like jeff has stated above, the OEM brakes are good for what they are. If you want a better initial bite, go with SS lines and aftermarket pads and fluids. From all of the data that I've gathered with my BBK setup, stopping distance only decreases a few feet at the most.
Old 01-03-08, 09:46 AM
Neo
The One

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by JeffTsai
With pretty much any brake system...the weakeast link is always going to be the tires.
So true.
Old 01-05-08, 03:25 AM
GRAND_LS 4
3UZ-FEEEE

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by JeffTsai
1) OEM. Very powerful brakes for what they are(2piston 12.7" or so rotors). .
stock is 11.7, or 11.8.
Old 01-05-08, 07:44 AM
JeffTsai
Lexus Fanatic

Received 43 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by GRAND_LS 4
stock is 11.7, or 11.8.
Whoops...typo lol. Yeah it's a 11.something inch rotor. I'm not 100% sure what it is..but 11.7 as you said sounds about right. Still, they are strong enough to activate the ABS at 100mph+ with fat/wide/sticky tires up front!

Quick Reply: Big Brake Kit