Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Brake Dust TSB - Inspection First before Pad Replacement?

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-08, 08:46 PM
juncho
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Brake Dust TSB - Inspection First before Pad Replacement?

For the folks who have done the brake dust TSB for the 2IS, did you have to go to the dealership for an inspection first before the pad is replaced?

I just made an appointment at Lexus of Cerritos and the service advisor said that I will need to make an appointment and show up to the dealership to inspect it first and then they will order the part. Only at that point, once the part arrives, I'll have to make an another appointment to get the pad replaced.

This seems a bit excessive to me... shouldn't the dealership be able to verify that I haven't done the TSB before and order the part all by phone without the inspection? I just want to eliminate an unnecessary trip to the dealership if possible.

What's your experience? Two trips or one?

Also, has anyone gotten their pads replaced at Lexus of Cerritos? Any push back with getting it done if there's higher mileage on the original pads? (I have about 20k miles.)
Old 01-09-08, 08:04 AM
ISF_GG
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

I just went in for my 5k service (and asked for the brake dust TSB to be done), and when I dropped my car off, the receipt the dealer gave me stated that they would "inspect brakes for excessive dust and advise". I had just washed my car, so there was no dust on the wheels when I dropped the car off, and I considered the possibility that the dealer might say that they didn't see any excessive dust. When I picked up the car, not only did they replace the brake pads, they replaced the brake calipers!! The new calipers look completely different than the original ones. I was very amazed and surprised to find out that it isn't just the pads they replaced!! Thanks Park Place Lexus!!
I don't think there is any mileage limit for the brake TSB, so you should be OK with 20k miles on your car. If they give you any hassle, go to Mission Viejo's Park Place Lexus, they'll take good care of you.
Old 01-09-08, 11:57 AM
juncho
Rookie

Originally Posted by Turbo_gg
I just went in for my 5k service (and asked for the brake dust TSB to be done), and when I dropped my car off, the receipt the dealer gave me stated that they would "inspect brakes for excessive dust and advise". I had just washed my car, so there was no dust on the wheels when I dropped the car off, and I considered the possibility that the dealer might say that they didn't see any excessive dust. When I picked up the car, not only did they replace the brake pads, they replaced the brake calipers!! The new calipers look completely different than the original ones. I was very amazed and surprised to find out that it isn't just the pads they replaced!! Thanks Park Place Lexus!!
I don't think there is any mileage limit for the brake TSB, so you should be OK with 20k miles on your car. If they give you any hassle, go to Mission Viejo's Park Place Lexus, they'll take good care of you.

Thanks! I really appreciate your input. I'm suprised that they replaced your calipers as well. I've never heard of this for anyone else. Hopefully, Lexus of Cerritos will come through and not give me any hassles.
Old 01-09-08, 02:00 PM
mikes rx
I use "..." ....... a lot

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

That's actually not abnormal. A TSB is NOT a recall, but rather a bulletin sent out to dealers advising that there is a known, frequent, minor "issue", and it discusses the ways to fix it.

With the brake pads, it may seem a little ridiculous that it must be inspected first. But, with most TSBs, if you can bring in or cite the TSB and show that you have the problem on the car, it's usually fixed with no issues. I've had it done for quite a few things on multiple cars.

BTW, they told me the same thing. But, since I was having the seatbelt recall done at the same time, I requested that they order the pads in advance, to keep from coming back a second time.
Old 01-10-08, 04:20 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Called and made an appt.
One visit.
My IS had 20K miles on her.
Got a new ES 350 loaner and the pads were replaced.
Old 01-20-08, 08:30 AM
juncho
Rookie

Quick update: I went in for the inspection and the service rep offered to replace the pads right away (the same day). No questions asked. No pressure about the number of miles on my car, etc (21k).

Initial impresssions are that the overall brake system isn't as grabby but it's something I can totally live with.

I've read up on some generic instructions on the web to inspect the wear of the pads and I think I can easily apply those instructions for the rear pads. However, for the front pads, I'm not able to see the pads very easily with the wheels mounted.

Is there any instructions on how to check for the wear of the front brake pads on an 2IS?
Old 01-20-08, 10:33 PM
shrka
Pole Position

Originally Posted by juncho
For the folks who have done the brake dust TSB for the 2IS, did you have to go to the dealership for an inspection first before the pad is replaced?

I just made an appointment at Lexus of Cerritos and the service advisor said that I will need to make an appointment and show up to the dealership to inspect it first and then they will order the part. Only at that point, once the part arrives, I'll have to make an another appointment to get the pad replaced.

This seems a bit excessive to me... shouldn't the dealership be able to verify that I haven't done the TSB before and order the part all by phone without the inspection? I just want to eliminate an unnecessary trip to the dealership if possible.

What's your experience? Two trips or one?

Also, has anyone gotten their pads replaced at Lexus of Cerritos? Any push back with getting it done if there's higher mileage on the original pads? (I have about 20k miles.)
I had the same experience with cerritos.
so i decided not to do it. i just thought to wash my car more often.

who was the service rep you used.

you mentioned that the brake isn't as good as the original...is my understanding correct?
Old 01-20-08, 10:37 PM
iKenn
Just call me "Sprinkes"

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

I just got an 08 and i have brake dust. Im going in tommorow to see if they can fix it, but it the brakes are not that responsive then i might just live with it
Old 01-21-08, 07:26 AM
Pnuge88
Lexus Champion

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

soo i actually like the less grabby brake pads.. but performance wise.. ive been VERY close to an accident 3 times cause of DUMB@$$es on the road and i would say.. these pads suck.. lol
Old 01-21-08, 02:08 PM
FiveOhNine
Lexus Champion

Brake performance is similar, maybe slightly decreased (i.e. a few feet longer from 60-0). The feel of the brakes is what is different. The dusty pads feel more grippy and aggressive, where the new pads require more effort, but are nearly as capable stoppers.

I called my dealership to have this done, and they did it, no questions asked.
Old 01-21-08, 08:39 PM
shrka
Pole Position

Originally Posted by M1sTa801
soo i actually like the less grabby brake pads.. but performance wise.. ive been VERY close to an accident 3 times cause of DUMB@$$es on the road and i would say.. these pads suck.. lol
Originally Posted by FiveOhNine
Brake performance is similar, maybe slightly decreased (i.e. a few feet longer from 60-0). The feel of the brakes is what is different. The dusty pads feel more grippy and aggressive, where the new pads require more effort, but are nearly as capable stoppers.

I called my dealership to have this done, and they did it, no questions asked.
With these comments, its pretty clear to me that I am going to stick with my dusty brake pads. Brakes are meant to stop you....keep you safe....
I'll just wash my car more often.