Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

What's the Best BBK Bang 4 your Money..

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-08 | 11:22 PM
Tank
Racer

Thank you very much for all of your input dudes, it is very appreciated..
Old 01-10-08 | 12:31 AM
butcher
Driver

Hi,

I read this thread, and was curious as to what is exactly needed to put an LS400 4 piston caliper on a 93 GS300?

thank you.
Old 01-10-08 | 10:41 PM
GSing430
Racer

Originally Posted by chrispy
Glen, I got a pair of Exact RCA's. Are you all the way down in the front with your Tein CS? I'm worried about hitting the upper control arms when going over bumps and messing my fenders up from aggressive fitting wheels. Any advice?
you shouldn't have much problems going over bumps. i have a similar RCA w/ CST and at tein's factory preset height, w/ a slight tuck, zero gap. the only issues i have is entering steep driveways/ plazas etc.where my tires rubs my fenders. with CST being a softer setup, be cautious about how fast you drive over speed bumps or entry, you will increase the chance of bottom out.
Old 01-10-08 | 11:52 PM
chrispy

Originally Posted by GSing430
you shouldn't have much problems going over bumps. i have a similar RCA w/ CST and at tein's factory preset height, w/ a slight tuck, zero gap. the only issues i have is entering steep driveways/ plazas etc.where my tires rubs my fenders. with CST being a softer setup, be cautious about how fast you drive over speed bumps or entry, you will increase the chance of bottom out.
But isn't that at preset height? I'm talking about all the way down + RCA. Problem is the gap is still too big for my tastes since I'm on 19's. If I was on 20's it would look fine. Since the control arms might hit the top, I'm thinking about cutting a small hole for the top of the upper control arms to go through so I can't bottom out.
Old 01-11-08 | 10:32 AM
kit cat

But isn't that at preset height? I'm talking about all the way down + RCA. Problem is the gap is still too big for my tastes since I'm on 19's. If I was on 20's it would look fine. Since the control arms might hit the top, I'm thinking about cutting a small hole for the top of the upper control arms to go through so I can't bottom out.
if you're VSC forums (if that thing is up again), there's a thread about it in the Toyota section.
Old 01-11-08 | 11:08 AM
chrispy

Originally Posted by Coco-bun
if you're VSC forums (if that thing is up again), there's a thread about it in the Toyota section.
Hah, I'm waiting for VSC to get back up so I can find that thread.
Old 01-11-08 | 01:47 PM
RMMGS4
Northern California Regional Officer

What size tires are you running up front? I need to calculate your overall tire diameter.

The first problem when you drop low is usually that you will rub the inner fender against the top of your tire. It will rub in 3 or more different places on the inner fender, depending on tire diameter and wheel offset.

I would think you would have that problem before you have an issue with the A-arm interfering. Since you are on 19"s it's hard to say, but unless you are telling me you are 100% sure you are hitting the a-arm right now, I would say the inner fender is the actual problem, for which I have some partial solutions.
Old 01-11-08 | 01:55 PM
BC-GS430
Lexus Test Driver
CL Folding 500000

Originally Posted by rominl
there might be a set of stoptech 14" available as well, price would be a lot more affordable
Yup, there is a 14" stoptech bbk for sale in the classifieds.
Old 01-11-08 | 05:25 PM
chrispy

Originally Posted by RMMGS4
What size tires are you running up front? I need to calculate your overall tire diameter.

The first problem when you drop low is usually that you will rub the inner fender against the top of your tire. It will rub in 3 or more different places on the inner fender, depending on tire diameter and wheel offset.

I would think you would have that problem before you have an issue with the A-arm interfering. Since you are on 19"s it's hard to say, but unless you are telling me you are 100% sure you are hitting the a-arm right now, I would say the inner fender is the actual problem, for which I have some partial solutions.
I'm running 225/35/19 on 19x9 +23 in the front. The fenders will be shaved. My friend said I had very little clearance from the arm to the top.
Old 01-11-08 | 06:53 PM
RMMGS4

I'm running 225/35/19 on 19x9 +23 in the front.
So if my calculation is correct your overall diameter is nominally 25.2".

Comparing that diameter to my 20" set up, my tire is 0.4" closer to the inner fender than you. Since my tire is tucked about 0.4 then you should be able to drop to about about zero gap and have the same equivalent drop as me.

The fenders will be shaved.
You only have 225's up front. The problem of rubbing the inner lip is usually when you go to 245/255's or with an aggresive offset.

So until you know where your problem will be, shaving might not fix it. Shaving is for the rear lip, on the front's we roll the liner tabs and remove the wheel arc trim.

So as best as I can calculate, if you drop as low as zero finger gap on 19", that will be near the equivalent of my drop on 20's with my slight tuck = negative 1 finger gap.

My friend said I had very little clearance from the arm to the top.
If you drop to zero gap on 19" you will probably have a problem with rubbing the inner fender liner against the face of your tire tread, before hitting the a-arm. I never hit the a-arm when I bottom. Now if you drop lower than zero gap, all bets are off.

Last edited by RMMGS4; 01-11-08 at 07:00 PM.
Old 01-11-08 | 06:58 PM
chrispy

Thanks a bunch, Glen. I'll get them on in a few days and update you. Sorry for the thread hijack!
Old 01-11-08 | 07:02 PM
GSing430
Racer

the factory preset + the RCAs gives me a slight tuck. my a-arm barely tap my upper inner fenders when i hit a big dip at 65mph. if you are planning to go all the way down on the cs plus the RCA, your chance of interference is alot higher. you'll more than likely have problems w/ the upper a-am i think you would be okay if you drop halfway. if you want anything lower, you'll have to ditch the rca's and go air or get a different set of coilovers that will allow a lower drop. how would you resolve the rears if the front is lowered further. unless you have a similar product for the rear. i'm max out on the rear w/ 0 gap.
Old 01-11-08 | 07:03 PM
RMMGS4

Sorry for the thread hijack!
This is soooo off topic, I got carried away too. Any more discussion and you should probably start a new thread.
Old 01-13-08 | 05:38 AM
Raph TT
Pole Position

so i can get RCAs from the US? from who? i mean theyre not that expensive in japan..but they want $200 for shipping to Euroland!

Link for RCAs?
Old 01-13-08 | 05:39 AM
Raph TT
Pole Position

Originally Posted by butcher
Hi,

I read this thread, and was curious as to what is exactly needed to put an LS400 4 piston caliper on a 93 GS300?

thank you.
LS400 calipers,Rotors,Pads and RCA kit and wheels thatl fit over em.. i got my new TTE grandstands last tuesday!

link for USA made/sourced RCA kit??edit..apparently Exact Motorsports sells them.. im googling it right now..

http://www.exactmotorsports.com/

they dont have a webshop???

Last edited by Raph TT; 01-13-08 at 05:50 AM.

Quick Reply: What's the Best BBK Bang 4 your Money..