Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

What's the Best BBK Bang 4 your Money..

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-08, 12:53 PM
RMMGS4
Northern California Regional Officer

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Raph TT
LS400 calipers,Rotors,Pads and RCA kit and wheels thatl fit over em.. i got my new TTE grandstands last tuesday!

link for USA made/sourced RCA kit??edit..apparently Exact Motorsports sells them.. im googling it right now..

http://www.exactmotorsports.com/

they dont have a webshop???
They are not web focused in their business, but have a strong relationship with the Local NorCal members, which if you know our reginal history, we are very active and there are many veteran members on this forum who do business with them.

Their initial focus was to serve our local community, but they are now just starting to look at serving the entire CL, especially now that they have become a CL VENDOR and have a global presence.

You can give them a call if you are interested in their RCA's.
Old 04-15-08, 01:52 PM
importart
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by TLW

look at those calipers
Old 04-17-08, 06:18 PM
4play4dr
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

what is needed to do put LS brakes on a 2GS? rotors and calipers? or is there more involved? and is it worth it for the price? and what year LS brakes? not the 04s right?
Old 04-17-08, 07:27 PM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 79 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by 4play4dr
what is needed to do put LS brakes on a 2GS? rotors and calipers? or is there more involved? and is it worth it for the price? and what year LS brakes? not the 04s right?
1995-2000 calipers and rotors.

Either shave off the tie-rod bolt a bit, or get some RCAs.

Need clearance between caliper and wheel. If rolling on OEM wheels, plan to get 15mm spacers. May or may not fit OEM 16s, depending on the wheel barrel itself.
Old 04-17-08, 09:41 PM
4play4dr
Lexus Champion

RCA's are? sorry..im new to this...can i still use existing lines? how much bigger are the rotors? is it worth the trouble? or should i jus get some x-drilled/slotted rotors wit some good pads?
Old 04-18-08, 06:10 AM
kit cat

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

RCA's are? sorry..
Radio Corporation of America, duh.

jk . it stands for roll center adapter (or 'SS kit", which is the product name of YouZealand)...search for what it is.
Old 04-18-08, 03:18 PM
4play4dr
Lexus Champion

so for those that have this upgrade..is it worth it? or should gettin x-drilled/slotted rotors be sufficient?
Old 04-18-08, 06:55 PM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 79 Likes on 61 Posts

There is a difference getting the caliper setup. Having x-drilled/slotted rotors will not really net you any gain, other than looks. Trust me..the stopping force between the LS400s and the OEM brakes is there. Much better pedal feel and fade resistance.
Old 04-18-08, 07:10 PM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,302 Likes on 1,403 Posts

so for those that have this upgrade..is it worth it? or should gettin x-drilled/slotted rotors be sufficient?
Stopping distance is going to be about the same no matter what brake upgrade you do... I've had three of them (upgraded OE, Supra TT and Brembo GT 355MM). What will improve is:

- If you regularly track your car or drive it VERY hard for an extended period, you get less brake fade with big brakes. You can get probably 75% of this improvement with good synthetic fluid with a high boiling point (Motul or ATE), good pads & rotors and upgraded stainless brake lines.

- Brake pedal feel is better... the OE GS brakes stop great (one of the best!) but are very mushy and you feel like you've got to hit them hard to stop. You can also get ~50% of the improved feel with the OE brakes with the upgrades I listed above

- Big brakes look a lot better than OEM and you'll feel cooler

Slotted and drilled can make quite a bit of noise (like playing cards on a bike wheel). They also look cooler, but pick your battles. General consensus is slotted may have a slight performance advantage without cracking like can happen in drilled, but there are loads of opinions.
Old 04-18-08, 07:21 PM
hurricane
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by DaveGS4
Stopping distance is going to be about the same no matter what brake upgrade you do... I've had three of them (upgraded OE, Supra TT and Brembo GT 355MM). What will improve is:

- If you regularly track your car or drive it VERY hard for an extended period, you get less brake fade with big brakes. You can get probably 75% of this improvement with good synthetic fluid with a high boiling point (Motul or ATE), good pads & rotors and upgraded stainless brake lines.

- Brake pedal feel is better... the OE GS brakes stop great (one of the best!) but are very mushy and you feel like you've got to hit them hard to stop. You can also get ~50% of the improved feel with the OE brakes with the upgrades I listed above

- Big brakes look a lot better than OEM and you'll feel cooler

Slotted and drilled can make quite a bit of noise (like playing cards on a bike wheel). They also look cooler, but pick your battles. General consensus is slotted may have a slight performance advantage without cracking like can happen in drilled, but there are loads of opinions.
good post i just bought the ceramic pad/slotted rotor/stainless brake line combo ..yet to install .. good news to hear this ..
Old 04-18-08, 07:40 PM
4play4dr
Lexus Champion

^^im bout to get that set up too..haha..after that post..no point in getting bigger brakes besides the looks..so SLOTTED rotors is better than x-drilled? what about slotted AND x-drilled?
Old 04-18-08, 07:48 PM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,302 Likes on 1,403 Posts

There definitely IS a point to getting BBKs, but the reasons might not be for you.

If you show your car or plan to, it' seems to be nearly a requirement these days. If you track you car regularly or add a lot of HP it can be important. If you have plus sized wheels they can definitely help too.

Drilled and slotted also go for the looks, but also have the noise and higher propensity to crack like just drilled.

Get quality synthetic fluid.

All this stuff has been covered MANY times before, I'd advise you to search for keywords like 'drilled slotted' in this exact subforum for example for more opinions