Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

What's the Best BBK Bang 4 your Money..

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-08, 11:15 PM
Tank
Racer

Received 67 Likes on 58 Posts
Default What's the Best BBK Bang 4 your Money..

Hey there all my CL brothers and sisters I would like to know whats the best BBK for your money to include callipers and etc for all 4 sides.. something that will actually have some functionality rather than just look good, I recently saw a thread posted by RRMGS4 and I like what I see, however, that setup must cost a pretty penny and is not finished yet, any alternative posted here would be greatly appreciated!..
Old 01-09-08, 02:29 AM
Neo
The One

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

There are different pricepoints. It will also depend if you want a front only (which is the typical upgrade) or the full 4-corner setup. On the front only setup, many opt to get new rear rotors (that will match the style of the front BBK rotor), new matching pads, and SS lines.

Under $1k: I would look into the SupraTT or the LS brakes. Both are OEM, 4 piston setups. The drawback is that they are heavy.

$1k-$2k: In this price bracket, you are looking at StopTech (13" setup) and Rotora.

$2k-$3k: StopTech and possibly Brembo (if you have a fantastic hook-up)

$3k+: Now you are in the Brembo, AP Racing, Endless, Rotora 4-corner, ... area.

On a budget, I'd look into the TT or LS brakes. I would next go to StopTech if you have the funds to be in that bracket. If the sky's the limit, APs or Endless.

As for what RMMGS4 has, he is building his own setup based on existing kits and parts. I am not sure when it will be done. He is a very busy man. If you need brakes now, I guess there is no point in bugging RMMGS4 about his setup.
Old 01-09-08, 08:31 AM
TruPlaya26
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I wish BBK was cheaper
Old 01-09-08, 10:14 AM
uplusd
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I purchased the Supra TT front setup (calipers, rotors, pads, lines) and new rotors, pads, lines for the rear. I got every part brand new from Toyota dealer. I can say I'm very happy with the performance.
Old 01-09-08, 02:32 PM
LexFather

SEARCH please this has been discussed tons of time before. Supra BBK is the most cost effective bet. LS BBK is nice but you need RCA adapters which are hard to find.
Old 01-09-08, 04:01 PM
Raph TT
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

RCA adapters which are hard to find
always on importmonster.. about $150
Old 01-09-08, 04:26 PM
RMMGS4
Northern California Regional Officer

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Raph TT
always on importmonster.. about $150
RCA Adapters are available from CL Approved Vendor Exact Motorsports. Look for their Banner and contact them for pricing, etc.

There are atleast 10+ NorCal members using the RCA's from Exact including myself. No problems with the quality or reliability.

Here's a pic of the prototype models that I took 18 months ago. The production versions look pretty clean and come black anodized. These are 1 inch thick RCAs which include longer stronger Grade 10 bolts. These are custom made for Exact.

Contact them for more info.

Last edited by RMMGS4; 01-09-08 at 10:45 PM.
Old 01-09-08, 04:41 PM
RMMGS4

Originally Posted by Neo

As for what RMMGS4 has, he is building his own setup based on existing kits and parts. I am not sure when it will be done. He is a very busy man. If you need brakes now, I guess there is no point in bugging RMMGS4 about his setup.

You know me all too well Chris. The prototypes have been on the car and I've been driving with them just to make all the shows that the car has been in over the past 3 months. No time for continuing the R & D on the brakes between shows.

I have one more show this coming Sunday and that's the end of my event tour until the summer time, so I will then be able to take the car apart and make the FINAL bracket to complete this job.

My front and rear kit I used is specifically an APRacing 6 piston / 4 piston set up directly applicable to a Toyota Supra TT. So the set up itself was designed by AP Racing as a balanced F/R brake set up for the TT. The front brakes are a bolt on deal on the GS, while the rear required a custom mounting bracket, but otherwise all the other parts, rotor, caliper, pads, etc. are straight out of the box from AP Racing.

We posted an interest thread in having APRacing rear brakes where these brackets could be made for others, but no significant response.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...ghlight=brakes

If someone is ever SERIOUSLY interested, the entire APRacing 6/4 Kit including the custom rear bracket "might" be made available for purchase from Exact Motorsports and NO the bracket will not be sold by itself. I'm guessing cost for the whole set up will be around $5800. That's ballpark so don't hold me or Exact to that price. I'm just posting it because people always want to know a price range. If you are SERIOUS then that's the dollar value you should use to consider if you are really interested.

You can contact Exact for questions and read more about the AP set up here: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...ghlight=brakes

Last edited by RMMGS4; 01-09-08 at 11:07 PM.
Old 01-09-08, 04:58 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

6 grands for a 6/4 setup imho is a bargin. if i still had the gs and were to do the car all over again, i would be all over it. i looked into 4 corner setup for the ls460l and they cost tons more (yes, 8 pots and 15", but still)

you can always look out in the classified to see if anyone is selling their bbk. i had a set of ap racing front setup selling for 1600, but it's reserved just yesterday (sorry guys).

there might be a set of stoptech 14" available as well, price would be a lot more affordable
Old 01-09-08, 05:03 PM
TLW
Lexus Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Old 01-09-08, 05:22 PM
chrispy

Received 79 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by RMMGS4
RCA Adapters are available from CL Approved Vendor Exact Motorsports. Look for their Banner and contact them for pricing, etc.

There are atleast 10+ NorCal members using the RCA's from Exact including myself. No problems with the quality or reliability.

Here's a pic of the prototype models that I took 18 months ago. They now come black anodized. These are 1 inch thick RCAs which include longer stronger Grade 10 bolts. These are custom made for Exact.

Contact them for more info.

[IMG]https://www.clublexus.com/gallery/data/500/DSCN0679.JPG[/IG]
Glen, I got a pair of Exact RCA's. Are you all the way down in the front with your Tein CS? I'm worried about hitting the upper control arms when going over bumps and messing my fenders up from aggressive fitting wheels. Any advice?
Old 01-09-08, 05:49 PM
RMMGS4

Originally Posted by chrispy
Glen, I got a pair of Exact RCA's. Are you all the way down in the front with your Tein CS? I'm worried about hitting the upper control arms when going over bumps and messing my fenders up from aggressive fitting wheels. Any advice?
No you really shouldn't go all the way down. It actually defeats the purpose of what it was intended. What it does allow is for you to have more suspension travel without bottoming and also since I use TEIN CS I am not able to drop as much as other set ups. The problem comes if you use the RCA's for the sole purpose of completely slamming your ride. This holds even more true if someone is on stock tires and rims and is trying to tuck the tires. You will run into problems hitting the arms, but with my 20's I can tuck with less of a drop than stock tires, so i don't see that problem.

Whether you achieve an extreme drop using Flex or similar coilovers, or air bags or RCAs, the laws of engineering cannot be ignored. At some level of drop you will run into interference problems in all sorts of places. Inner fender, a-arm, air dam, exhaust, whatever. I have extensive inner fender mods to allow me to use the RCA's with TEIN CS. What I accomplished is a reasonably soft ride using CS and still got a drop that normally I would have to go to a stiffer TEIN FLEX to achieve. The trade off is that I now have a relatively low car with soft suspension. But with the modded inner fenders, I believe I have a happy medium of all the benefits. I have an agressive drop, with a smooth ride and I don't bottom out. I can tell you at the ride height I do have those other problems to contend with, such as scraping my exhaust on speed bumps and rubbing the body kit when going up driveways.

If you have bags and ride high , but park low, well that kinda gets you there, but then if you wanna ride low in "real world" driving conditions, you gotta pay to play.

RCA's can be quite useful to accomplish certain things, but I think people need to understand that when it comes to the application of dropping your car, there is a limit how low you can go. I am at slightly under zero gap on 20's and I think that's as reasonably low as one should drop and still be able to drive the car at that height without a lot of issues. This holds true no matter how the drop was achieved, using Bags, RCA's or low coilover settings; the problem doesn't go away and the same challenges exist.

Last edited by RMMGS4; 01-09-08 at 10:37 PM.
Old 01-09-08, 05:54 PM
chrispy

So you are saying I will run into those problems if I keep the same coilover settings and add the RCA's? I'm really unsatisfied with how weak of a drop the CS offers and I don't mind driving a low car. I'm also on 19's instead of 20's so there's a bit more gap. Thanks for your help.
Old 01-09-08, 06:07 PM
RMMGS4

Originally Posted by chrispy
So you are saying I will run into those problems if I keep the same coilover settings and add the RCA's? I'm really unsatisfied with how weak of a drop the CS offers and I don't mind driving a low car. I'm also on 19's instead of 20's so there's a bit more gap. Thanks for your help.
The answer is IT DEPENDS. No two cars are alike and how and where you drive affect this. Tire size, offset and a ton more other variables affect how anyone can answer your question with any level of accuracy. For me to say "sure you can drop an inch no prob and beyond that is a problem" I can't say that.

In general I would say that you should be able to achieve a lower drop with the CS using RCA's to to give an inch more drop from where you currently are should be pretty safe, but again I'm speaking in relative terms.

Now how much you can drop beyond that is more up to you and your tire/wheel set up. There will be a limit how low you should go for all the reasons I outlined. The beauty of coilovers is you can drop a bit at a time and find your comfort zone.

I always keep pushing the envelope on my car and as I said, I think I have achieved a happy medium, but unless you have exactly the same set up as me, I can't just tell you to follow what I have.

Last edited by RMMGS4; 01-09-08 at 10:32 PM.
Old 01-09-08, 09:52 PM
chrispy

Thanks a lot, you've always been helpful. I think I'll try it out and if it doesn't work for me then it doesn't.

Quick Reply: What's the Best BBK Bang 4 your Money..