Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Most effective handling mods

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-08, 02:56 PM
kickin8
2IS/2RX/4RX

Received 27 Likes on 22 Posts

check your alignment also.....
Old 01-10-08, 03:08 PM
FiveOhNine
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

yup, they said alignment was within 'specs'
Old 01-10-08, 05:26 PM
Irishman06
Lead Lap

Its definitely a tire issue. Get some PS2s, RE050A PPs, or something along those lines.
Old 01-10-08, 05:30 PM
javyLSU
2IS OG

Received 31 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by FiveOhNine
...The handling (i.e. the cars ability to take a turn accurately in response to user input), while not the best I've ever experienced, is acceptable. What is not acceptable is how the car seems unable, even on flat and smooth road surfaces, to track in a straight line. The constant corrections and over-corrections that I have to make is starting to bother me.

So, with that in mind, any other suggestions?...
This is exactly why I didn't mention springs, coilovers, or any other suspension mods for you. Believe me, switching to a good set of tires will make a world of difference insofar as what you mentioned.

Javier
Old 01-10-08, 05:44 PM
llamaboiz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I will be the first to ding Lexus for putting such a rubbish tire (ER33) on the IS...
Hehe nope your not the first, this is a topic that comes up every so often, not as often thou as fogs/drl/brake dust/rattles and some others but it does come up
Old 01-10-08, 05:51 PM
FiveOhNine
Lexus Champion

Yep, I think I'll try some nice rubber first, and go from there.

Thanks everyone!
Old 01-10-08, 06:38 PM
100plus
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

What others are recommended? I didnt realize turanzas are this crappy. I have them also, and my car tends to steer itself on uneven surfaces. And being in NY its like Offroading on tarmac.
Old 01-11-08, 03:29 AM
FiveOhNine
Lexus Champion

You can do a quick search for tire recommendations on the forum. It really depends on what you are looking for (performance vs. durability).

I am going to upgrade to Michelin PS2, Goodyear GSD3 or maybe Continental CSC3s because I am more interested in the performance aspect. If you wanted longer life or better all weather handling, then you would want to look elsewhere.

If you don't find useful info here, you can always check tirerack review section.
Old 01-11-08, 06:01 PM
sincityIS
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If you have the money don't waste your time on anything other than the
PS2's.
Old 01-11-08, 10:25 PM
FiveOhNine
Lexus Champion

I'm very torn between PS2 and GSD3....money isn't really a concern.

I will have new info on the suspension problems by way of the dealer tomorrow....will post as soon as I know more: preview: i'm not crazy....they replaced something.
Old 01-12-08, 02:27 AM
DrShoe
Lead Lap

PS2 is the only way to go really since money is of no concern....

Last edited by DrShoe; 01-12-08 at 02:31 AM.
Old 01-12-08, 08:14 AM
javyLSU
2IS OG

Received 31 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by DrShoe
PS2 is the only way to go really since money is of no concern....

Javier
Old 01-12-08, 03:01 PM
FiveOhNine
Lexus Champion

Ok, so here's the update:

A wonderful shop foreman took a drive with me after the techs proclaimed my IS 'within spec'; what we discovered is that there seems to have been a problem with the rack and pinion. What seems to have been happening was that the steering mechanism was getting 'stuck' in position, which was causing tramlining to be much worse: When the tires encountered road irregularities causing small variations in the wheel orientation (tramlining), the stuck rack and pinion was exaggerating this problem.

So, they replaced the rack and pinion, did an alignment and recalibrated the steering torque sensors.

I haven't had a chance to get it over 60 yet, but so far so GREAT! The car still tramlines due to the tires, but it tracks much straighter and corrections are easy and accurate. As an added perk, the steering weight seems to be much heavier (somewhere between normal Lexus and BMW.....just right in my book), and I am loving it.

I was told they are sending the extracted parts back to Lexus to investigate the cause and/or correct the manufacturing fault going forward. Apparently, on a very few number of 06/07 GS models, this same problem occured.

Thanks everyone for all of your suggestions and advice.....I may still follow most of it

EDIT: I took my car out on highways with terrible conditions, lots of construction and narrow lanes and have zero trouble getting it to cooperate with one hand. As far as I am concerned, this problem is fixed, and then some.

now time to start shopping for some new shoes.

Last edited by FiveOhNine; 01-14-08 at 01:37 PM.
Old 01-13-08, 11:08 AM
Irishman06
Lead Lap

Ok, so here's the update:

A wonderful shop foreman took a drive with me after the techs proclaimed my IS 'within spec'; what we discovered is that there seems to have been a problem with the rack and pinion. What seems to have been happening was that the steering mechanism was getting 'stuck' in position, which was causing tramlining to be much worse: When the tires encountered road irregularities causing small variations in the wheel orientation (tramlining), the stuck rack and pinion was exaggerating this problem.

So, they replaced the rack and pinion, did an alignment and recalibrated the steering torque sensors.

I haven't had a chance to get it over 60 yet, but so far so GREAT! The car still tramlines due to the tires, but it tracks much straighter and corrections are easy and accurate. As an added perk, the steering weight seems to be much heavier (somewhere between normal Lexus and BMW.....just right in my book), and I am loving it.

I was told they are sending the extracted parts back to Lexus to investigate the cause and/or correct the manufacturing fault going forward. Apparently, on a very few number of 06/07 GS models, this same problem occured.

Thanks everyone for all of your suggestions and advice.....I may still follow most of it
This does make some sense, since you said your steering was light and mine is anything but. However, you should still get rid of the turanzas.
Old 01-13-08, 08:08 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource
Senior Moderator

Received 4,081 Likes on 2,473 Posts

^+1. Turanzas should not be on an IS. Sometimes Toyota's tire decisions amaze me. I'm very happy with my RE050A PP after more than 12k miles.

Quick Reply: Most effective handling mods