Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Master-cylinder?

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-08, 11:31 PM
scENFORCER
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Master-cylinder?

So my master-cylinder went. At least thats what the shop says. Other shops that I went to weren't too convinced that it was the master-cylinder that was causing my problems, but this shop says they're 100% sure. They want $700 for a new one, including labor.
My question is where can I get a new master-cylinder for a good price (other than a Lexus dealership)? I'm assuming they want $200 for labor, therefore $500 for part.
I'm located in Vancouver if that helps. Any sites, or parts shops would be great! Thanx guys..
Old 01-12-08, 11:47 AM
5sp_jzz30
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

i got one off my 93 sc300 5sp...auto or manual doesnt matter though. i can give you the master cylinder reservoir off an auto. i have either. i have a brake booster, master cylinder, and reservoir. im in chicago suburb. let me know if you want it and what your province code is. i can look up shipping cost too.

what is your car doing or not doing? whats the brake problem exactly?
Old 01-13-08, 10:11 AM
scENFORCER
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by 5sp_jzz30
i got one off my 93 sc300 5sp...auto or manual doesnt matter though. i can give you the master cylinder reservoir off an auto. i have either. i have a brake booster, master cylinder, and reservoir. im in chicago suburb. let me know if you want it and what your province code is. i can look up shipping cost too.

what is your car doing or not doing? whats the brake problem exactly?
The problem is https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...lem.+breaks%3F
Old 01-13-08, 10:57 AM
5sp_jzz30
Lexus Champion

i had the same problem with my car also around the time of november to january of 2006/2007. it is not related to the drivetrain or the auto trans going bad. my car is a 5 speed and it was doing EXACTLY the same thing. when i went under the hood and unplugged the ABS main relay and ABS solenoid relay. my car does not have traction control so i didnt have that relay. after i pulled that relay the car drove fine. it is the ABS motor assembly that is bad...at least on my car. i pulled the relays and have been driving without ABS for over a year already. when i plugged the relay back in one day just to see what happens the problem came back. i dont care so abs. it sucks when you're drifting and i can "pump" them myself

i also thought it was my brake booster and i bought one(thus i have a spare) because i had a problem like this before. my celica did the same thing but this case it was a break booster b/c the celica didnt have ABS.

take out those relays and see if the car will drive like normal. if it does then you need an ABS motor assembly and im pretty sure Aliga has like 500 of them lol. he always has whatever you need. i dont know how much they go for but i have been offered one for 300 USD.
Old 01-13-08, 08:55 PM
scENFORCER
Lexus Champion

Ive unplugged the ABS and TRAC under the hood, the problem persisted..
I was told that ABS and TRAC is very intertwined throughout the engine that even though its unplugged they still operate somewhat. I dont know how accurate that is.
Old 01-13-08, 09:33 PM
5sp_jzz30
Lexus Champion

well the TRAC and the ABS is tied in together. if you take out those relays the ABS and TRAC will be disabled. your braking system still functions normally with ABS not working. think about it. in an emergency if your ABS malfunctions your brakes should still work fine. i dont wanna buy new ABS motor and have been driving with it unplugged for almost a year with no issues.

if you still want the master cylinder i can sell it to you.

i had 2 shops including my boss diagnose my problem as the master cylinder. it wasnt. i couldnt figure out what the problem was so i just started replacing braking components including bleeding the brakes twice. nothing solved my problem except disabling the ABS

good luck with the fix
Old 01-14-08, 07:57 PM
aliga
Former Sponsor

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

scenforcer, i have master cylinders, if you need it
Old 01-15-08, 01:14 AM
scENFORCER
Lexus Champion

Thanx guys, let me talk to the shop about the ABS motor and see what they say. If its still the master-cylinder then I'll ask about installing a used one, then I'll get back to one of you..
Old 01-19-08, 12:06 PM
scENFORCER
Lexus Champion

So the Lexus dealership surprisingly has the part for alot cheaper, $375.. So I'm going to go that route. Thanx for the info and offers guys..
Old 01-19-08, 01:14 PM
5sp_jzz30
Lexus Champion

good luck with the fix
Old 01-19-08, 06:55 PM
aliga
Former Sponsor

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by scENFORCER
So the Lexus dealership surprisingly has the part for alot cheaper, $375.. So I'm going to go that route. Thanx for the info and offers guys..
not cheaper than my price, dont get raped.
Old 01-27-08, 08:56 PM
soarer479
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i bought my master cylinder brand new for 70$............
Old 01-27-08, 09:28 PM
5sp_jzz30
Lexus Champion

swap them out, bleed your brakes, and get back to us. i really hope that its the problem with your car but i have a feeling its not. i still think its the ABS module.

i would have sold you a used MC for a lot cheaper then that
Old 01-31-08, 12:40 AM
scENFORCER
Lexus Champion

Alright, Update Report: First day back with the Lex and a new master-cylinder and the problem is (surprisingly) gone.
I'll be honest, due to all the other possible problems that were thrown my way I was really worried that this wouldn't be the correct fix. But so far so good..

And PS: Where did you get a master-cylinder NEW for $70!?! The only reason I didn't want Agila's was cuz they are used..
Old 09-03-09, 12:35 PM
asnatlas
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by aliga
scenforcer, i have master cylinders, if you need it
aliga, do you have any Master Cylinders ?? Shoot me a PM...

Quick Reply: Master-cylinder?