Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

I was convinced until I started reading...

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-08 | 08:33 PM
awol707
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I was convinced until I started reading...

I am looking into buying springs to make the gap on my IS cleaner.

I was convinced on the Eibach Pro-Kit, but I read a few threads about how the wheels tilt in a little, which creates faster tire wear. I do not want to go through tires every 5k miles etc... Is there any way to prevent this?

Any recommendations?
Old 01-14-08 | 08:59 PM
viettho
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

as of now, there is no way (i think) until someone release the camper kit for our 2IS
Old 01-14-08 | 09:04 PM
Rollin'ES3
Lexus Test Driver
CL Folding 10,000

Any sort of spring other then oem will cause slight camber effects.

Unless you change out the struts too.

I dont know much about the 2IS, but are there any coilovers out there for the 2IS? Just curious...
Old 01-15-08 | 05:51 AM
Electric
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The Eibach pro-kit should cause the LEAST amount of negative camber out of almost all the springs for the IS250AWD. The drop it has is only slight compared to the Road Magnets and some others. I will be installing the Eibach Pro-kit hopefully this week and then after 2 days it will be put on the alignment machine so I can tell you EXACTLY how much the rear camber is off. I doubt the negative camber from the Eibachs is that bad considering that the drop is moderate.
Old 01-15-08 | 01:31 PM
Giggity
Pole Position

Originally Posted by awol707
I
...I read a few threads about how the wheels tilt in a little, which creates faster tire wear. I do not want to go through tires every 5k miles etc... Is there any way to prevent this?
The negative camber created from lowering the car is not enough to burn through a set of tires that fast. True there are no camber kits out there at the moment, but that's because with most lowering springs the camber is within factory specs. What causes all that inside tire wear is the toe being out of spec- either toe in or toe out. So long as you get an alignment after installing the springs the tires should last just as long as they would on the factory springs.
Old 01-15-08 | 11:50 PM
sincityIS
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have had my car lowered lower than the eibachs on my coilovers and I don't have any accelerated wear. I have about 8000 miles on them now and no signs of wear.
Old 01-16-08 | 04:41 PM
TLP_IS350
Pole Position

have you considered tein h techs? they have a mild drop also. i guess its kinda like a eibach alternative
Old 01-23-08 | 08:09 PM
andoy
Driver

I have pro-kits on my car and after waiting a week for the springs to settle, i had it aligned.. the print out states that the rear camber was still within spec.
Old 01-23-08 | 08:22 PM
sinister2c
Racer

Received 177 Likes on 139 Posts

IS doesnt really have a bad camber problem...just get an alignment to fix toe
Old 01-23-08 | 11:34 PM
nioks
Rookie

Question to everyone who installed prokit..
Have you meassure gap on Left front and Right front? Is that same on yous?
Mine's seem like uneven drivers/passenger side...drivers side has less gap than passengers side (more drop on drivers side?). I do not do alignment yet..but
Old 01-24-08 | 12:03 AM
sincityIS
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Yes that is the disadvantage of coils instead of coilovers. The IS is heavier on the driver side and will cause it to sit lower approx. 3/8 inches. The factory springs do the same thing, it is just harder to notice since it is sitting higher. That is why I got coilover overs, I actually have the driver side to full turns higher than the passenger side to make it sit dead level from corner to corner. I am obsessive compulsive, but I measure it once a month to make sure it still sits DEAD level.
Old 01-24-08 | 12:13 AM
teejnut
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by sincityIS
Yes that is the disadvantage of coils instead of coilovers. The IS is heavier on the driver side and will cause it to sit lower approx. 3/8 inches. The factory springs do the same thing, it is just harder to notice since it is sitting higher. That is why I got coilover overs, I actually have the driver side to full turns higher than the passenger side to make it sit dead level from corner to corner. I am obsessive compulsive, but I measure it once a month to make sure it still sits DEAD level.
Do you measure with the weight of yourself in the car?

But this is a reason to go with coilovers if you're **** about the ride height and want to make it perfectly even all around. My car is actually corner balanced so with me out of the car the DS is actually higher then the PS, but sits pretty evenly once I sit in the car.