Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.
View Poll Results: Which coilovers
Tein CST
50.00%
H&R
13.64%
Megans
36.36%
Voters: 66. You may not vote on this poll

Megans vs. H&R vs. Tein CS

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-08, 11:15 AM
Konnan101
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Megans vs. H&R vs. Tein CS

the H&R's - http://www.optionimports.com/29966-1-1088.html - $1050

the Megan's - http://optionimports.com/meracokittos.html - $900

or the Tein's - http://optionimports.com/gst60-k1ss3-11.html - $1,250

I realize the price difference would imply that the Teins are nicer, but with a college students budget and a new set of 18" 07 is350 rims what would you choose. Lowering isn't to big of a deal for me just looking for an inch or two, and I don't want an overly stiff ride, but definitely stiffer than stock.
Old 01-19-08, 11:32 AM
5sp_jzz30
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

i vote for none of the above...

i vote you use the SEARCH button and look up 50,000 other threads that have discussed build quality, price, personal experience, and performance.

sorry to sound like a **** but this kind of question comes up on daily basis and its simply a waste of server capacity.
Old 01-19-08, 12:50 PM
Konnan101
Pole Position

well i realize that, and I have searched, and while it might not have been to the extent that you would have liked, I did narrow it down to these three coilovers by reading many threads on this forum...and while in many threads they do discuss the build quality and performance of these three coilovers, no thread...atleast that I have found...compares these three directly.

Now I apologize for taking up server space...god knows the thousands and thousands of other threads on this forum all must be more pertinent than mine, but I felt like this was a pretty good question, especially from a personal stand point (though I could be biased).

Also I'm new to this whole car upgrade thing, and I'm on a pretty limited budget, so while many might read this as an easy way to a good solution, I see this more as a novice asking a little guidance from some potentially more experienced users. Now, i realize i should do some more research, but if I could get some decent answers to this question and why. Then not only could I make a more educated purchase for a piece of my car, that not only is integral, but potentially and most likely permanent, but if it were explained to me why then I could understand both for my personal knowledge and future endeavors what things are important when considering this realm of car upgrade.

now I understand how mad this must make you, as a user and a frequent user at that (350 posts) threads like this must be nothing but frustrating. The hindrance to server speed coupled with the ungodly length of my post must seriously put you off...so I must ask you instead of trying to play moderator and tell me what to post and not, simply ignore my thread and let somebody else whose job it is to weed out the good from the bad close this thread, and make that decision.(if it really is that obvious and stupid of a question)

and I seriously doubt there are 50,000 threads on coilovers let alone three brands of coilovers...let alone these three being directly compared....
Old 01-19-08, 12:52 PM
Konnan101
Pole Position

not t sound like a douche or anything....
Old 01-19-08, 01:03 PM
andrewwake
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Sounded strait foward to me. I would go with H&R, very well crafter coilover and not too bad a price. As for ride quality, I can tell you in about a month or two when I get mine, but my uncle tells me they are somewhat stiff, but not bad at all.
Old 01-19-08, 01:10 PM
5sp_jzz30
Lexus Champion

it doesnt make me mad that you ask this question. i honestly could care less if people ask the same question every single day. getting mad on a forum is not only immature but also ridiculous.

ok heres the deal.
what are you trying to do with your car? daily driving? drifting? track days? some combination of those things?
how much is comfort a priority for you?

if you dont care about ride quality and dont mind the car being stiff then go with the Megan racing ones. they will be cheaper and stiffer. the spring rates on the megan are 14/10 its is pretty good. my friend has a 95 sc with stance that are 18/12 spring rates and i honestly think its a comfortable ride. the price on the Megan coilovers is good too.

the teins are going to be the most comfortable ride but with the 10/6 spring rates they will ride like a couch. i think those spring rates are way too low for a heavy car like ours. i wouldnt get the Tein.

the H&R one dont list anything. honestly i have not heard anything about them. good or bad.

if you want some good coilovers for a good price look into Stance. they are very popular with 240 crowd. i have countless friends that use them for drifting and daily driving. i have driven 240, Sc300, rx7, sti, and miata with stance coilovers and i would say its a firm ride but definitely performance oriented. still good for the street and awesome on the track.

if you are willing to spend 1300 bucks on Tein, then i would get stance instead. and you can definitely get it for that price. maybe even including shipping.

i just talked to a friend of mine that is a Stance distributor. he can sell you a set for 1300 shipped.

btw: sorry for sounding like a jack*ss. hope some of what i wrote helped.

Last edited by 5sp_jzz30; 01-19-08 at 01:31 PM.
Old 01-19-08, 01:35 PM
Konnan101
Pole Position

I'm not really looking to take this car to the track...just daily driving mostly, though in the like five years its gunna take me to pay for a turbo and all the other stuff I want, I might be at the track, so you never know...but for right know just daily street driving.

As far as comfort goes, I'm kind of looking for middle of the road. I definitely want stiffer than stock, but I'm not looking for some race car thats gunna feel every single divet in the road.

As far as those stance go I checked em out real fast and they look pretty solid. I'll have to do a little more reading and see if I can find em for a good price. Thanks for the suggestion
Old 01-19-08, 01:41 PM
5sp_jzz30
Lexus Champion

my friend is a dealer for them. call touge factory, ask for "TF dave", and tell him Pavel sent you. tell him what you need and he'll give you a good deal. the guys that work there are awesome.

their number is: 847-290-1531
Old 01-19-08, 03:12 PM
Konnan101
Pole Position

thanks man, I'll look into that on monday...though it might take me a few weeks (and by weeks I mean months if I find an LSD in the next few weeks) to get all this money together
Old 01-19-08, 04:11 PM
5sp_jzz30
Lexus Champion

you will be doing all these upgrades eventually. so do what you can at the time. you want to do an lsd and coilovers. i would get what i can. eventually you will do it all.
Old 01-19-08, 05:46 PM
dejacky
Lexus Test Driver

Buy Bilstein HD Shocks for the Toyota Supra cars. Get a Bilstein sleeve, then use Hypercoil springs for 500ft/lb (front) and 250ft/lb (rear) and you will outperform any of the above mentioned coilovers while being more comfortable.
Old 01-20-08, 12:11 PM
TheMole
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

The H&R's do not seem damper adjustable so something you may want to consider.
I have the Tein CS on my car and they are nice for a daily driver.
Old 01-21-08, 04:02 AM
BLK13X
Mortgage Slave

Received 20 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by dejacky
Buy Bilstein HD Shocks for the Toyota Supra cars. Get a Bilstein sleeve, then use Hypercoil springs for 500ft/lb (front) and 250ft/lb (rear) and you will outperform any of the above mentioned coilovers while being more comfortable.
I've heard good things about Hypercoils. However, which spring is for our cars? And how much is the drop?
Old 01-21-08, 09:38 AM
5sp_jzz30
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by BLK13X
I've heard good things about Hypercoils. However, which spring is for our cars? And how much is the drop?

the drop doesnt matter because there Bilstein HD shocks can be fitted with a threaded sleeve, making the Bilstein shocks height but not damping adjustible. this is a good setup if you use the car for only one application. you would want to adjust the damping differently based on track surface, temperature, and more importanly whether you daily drive or track. you wouldnt want to drive on a track shock on the street. the bilstein shocks are nie but i wouldnt want one preset valving setup all the time.

after you buy those shock, springs, the coilover sleeve kit, and install it the price is more then megans. Bilstein know wht they are doing but i would still want fully adjustible suspension.

if you go to supra forums or google it, you can find the thread that describes how to do it. i have it saved on my laptop but im at work and dont have it.
Old 01-21-08, 10:18 AM
$C300
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

magens made in tiwan < Teins made japan

Quick Reply: Megans vs. H&R vs. Tein CS