Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Anybody gotten the Hotchkis sway bars......

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-08, 11:09 AM
APBT4Me
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by lobuxracer
Your English lesson is both wrong and unnecessary. AFFECT is not exclusively for emotional change, and EFFECT is incorrect in the context you used. Your admonishment to "search first" was also unnecessary.

I'm seeing a lot more argumentative garbage than I am constructive criticism. Please THINK before you post. If there is no value add to what you are saying - if the point is to attack something someone said - move on to the next thread and stop destroying our sense of community.
seeing as i dont wish to get into a semantic debate i will not continue on with this portion of what you said...however seeing as you are so concerned with our community perhaps you should reread what was written. my post did have a point the point was to answer a specific question that has yet to be addressed on this thread. btw your sense of concern for our community is much appreciated!
Old 02-20-08, 12:06 PM
sincityIS
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

knowbody is going to answer you now
Old 02-20-08, 12:16 PM
ISF_GG
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Sooo what's the update kattanh3?? Did your mechanic get them on without any further rubbing issues? Did the rear bar have to be set at the hardest setting? PICS of the install please. Thanks.
Old 02-20-08, 12:17 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,988 Likes on 2,413 Posts

English lesson from Dictionary.com
Affect:
1. To have an influence on or effect a change in: Inflation affects the buying power of the dollar.
2. To act on the emotions of; touch or move.
3. To attack or infect, as a disease: Rheumatic fever can affect the heart.

affect. (n.d.). The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition. Retrieved February 20, 2008, from Dictionary.com website: http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/affect

Effect:
1. Something brought about by a cause or agent; a result.
2. The power to produce an outcome or achieve a result; influence: The drug had an immediate effect on the pain. The government's action had no effect on the trade imbalance.
3. A scientific law, hypothesis, or phenomenon: the photovoltaic effect.
4. Advantage; avail: used her words to great effect in influencing the jury.
5. The condition of being in full force or execution: a new regulation that goes into effect tomorrow.
1. Something that produces a specific impression or supports a general design or intention: The lighting effects emphasized the harsh atmosphere of the drama.
2. A particular impression: large windows that gave an effect of spaciousness.
3. Production of a desired impression: spent lavishly on dinner just for effect.
7. The basic or general meaning; import: He said he was greatly worried, or words to that effect.
8. effects Movable belongings; goods.

effect. (n.d.). The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition. Retrieved February 20, 2008, from Dictionary.com website: http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/effect
Answer to question:

The ride is not affected by swaybars. Handling is. They reduce body roll while turning and can alter the balance of front and rear traction while turning.
Old 02-20-08, 09:17 PM
kattanh3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Turbo_gg
Sooo what's the update kattanh3?? Did your mechanic get them on without any further rubbing issues? Did the rear bar have to be set at the hardest setting? PICS of the install please. Thanks.
i just have the front ones installed for now. There is no way the rear ones could fit, it's tighter than the hard settings. I sent Hotchkis an email asking them to assist me in troubleshooting what's going on, i guess all i can do is wait for them to reply

i started another thread earlier to avoid thread hijacking this one
Old 02-21-08, 10:25 AM
FMJ IS
Pole Position

anybody else here has Hotchkis Swaybars has the same problem?
if so, i might want to stay away from them. maybe wait for the F-Sport or just get Eibach.

btw, anybody got a pic of a 2IS with Hotchkis lowering springs install?
Old 02-21-08, 05:05 PM
jsquared
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i think the sway bars are great. handling is a lot better than before. maybe that's in part to the new tires but still. no problems installing the bars for me...
Old 02-21-08, 09:51 PM
APBT4Me
Pole Position

Originally Posted by lobuxracer
English lesson from Dictionary.com

Effect:
1. Something brought about by a cause or agent; a result.

Answer to question:

The ride is not affected by swaybars. Handling is. They reduce body roll while turning and can alter the balance of front and rear traction while turning.
well i was gonna leave this alone but sense you chose to revive it thank you for proving my grammatical statement correct. I was asking if the ride was effected...meaning what is the result brought about by a cause or agent (h-sport sway bars). and thank you for attempting to answer my question but that is still really only half of it. i had an audi s6 before my is350 and i threw hotchkis (h-sport) sway bars in the front and rear and yeah there was an improvement in handling but there was also a change, negative change, in the ride quality. a rule of thumb...any change you make to the handling of the vehicle will have some type/form of effect or affect (depending on sentence structure) on ride quality
Old 02-21-08, 10:40 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,988 Likes on 2,413 Posts

You still missed it. Effect is a verb in that context.

Swaybars themselves do not change ride quality unless the bushings are not properly lubricated. Failing to grease the bushings will effect a change in ride quality, and ride quality will be negatively affected. So it sounds like your install was not good. Ideally swaybars should be mounted in needle bearings, but it isn't practical for street vehicles.
Old 02-21-08, 11:12 PM
sincityIS
Lexus Champion

Well they can affect ride if only one wheel is hitting the bump to cause suspension movement. The bar will lift the other wheel as well causing the compression to be more linear (firmer as it compressed). Now if both wheels on each side are being compressed at the same time then no, it can't affect ride.
So if you hit dips on difference in ride, If you hit a big bump with one tire, it may cause it to be a little firmer.
Old 03-10-08, 03:48 PM
ba-b4
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

So what's the consensus regarding these sways. There have been folks who say they don't fit and some that say it fit perfectly. Anyone else want to report on their sway bars?
Old 03-11-08, 03:27 AM
kattanh3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ba-b4
So what's the consensus regarding these sways. There have been folks who say they don't fit and some that say it fit perfectly. Anyone else want to report on their sway bars?
They will fit perfectly on the US models
Old 03-11-08, 12:22 PM
ba-b4
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by kattanh3
They will fit perfectly on the US models
I hope so but the thing is looks like nobody is reporting back about these sways since they were supposed to have come out. I think you were the only one that attempted an install and it didn't fit, but yours is a non US spec car.

You would think with all the people who are on here complaining about the handling of the IS and how Hotchkis makes the best stuff out there that you'd see more people trying to install them.

I guess like me nobody here want's to be the first in case it doesn't fit as in your case. Oh well...
Old 03-11-08, 12:24 PM
sincityIS
Lexus Champion

They fit fine on every IS I have ever seen them installed on. I don't have them because I don't have the funds. That and I am done modding my car. The next thing I do to my car is sell it, lol.
Old 03-11-08, 12:46 PM
ba-b4
Lexus Test Driver

^okay so you've seen lots of other IS's that have the hotchkis sways on. I just wanted a confirmation that these fit on the USDM IS. So what have those folks that got them installed been saying? Any good? Still lots of roll? etc.. thanks

Quick Reply: Anybody gotten the Hotchkis sway bars......