Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

TSIB refussal for '07 350

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-08, 12:14 PM
skingsland
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

Originally Posted by lobuxracer
MUST replace rotors? Tell them you want to see the measurements on each of them. Minimum thickness for the front is 27.0mm and they start at 30.0mm. I would only consider replacing the discs if you have less than 27.0mm. The engineers have done a lot of calculations to determine acceptable limits for service life, so I would never, ever, replace a disc unless it is below the minimum thickness.

At 3/32, you still have 11.8% of the life of the pads left. At your current wear rate, that's 33750 miles, or more than 10% unused service life left. Sorry, but it's not time to replace them yet. You could go to the next service at 35k and be fine.
Thanks lobuxracer! They said I probably have 2-3 thousand miles left in the pads, but it sounds like I may have even more than that.

As for the rotors, they said it's unsafe to resurface or reuse the rotors (regardless of how much the rotors are "worn") once they take them off. If they are replacing the pads, they said they must replace the rotors with new ones, which cost $291 for one side and $252 for the other. Is that reasonable??
Old 04-04-08, 12:56 PM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by skingsland
Thanks lobuxracer! They said I probably have 2-3 thousand miles left in the pads, but it sounds like I may have even more than that.

As for the rotors, they said it's unsafe to resurface or reuse the rotors (regardless of how much the rotors are "worn") once they take them off. If they are replacing the pads, they said they must replace the rotors with new ones, which cost $291 for one side and $252 for the other. Is that reasonable??
No matter how much it's worn?

You mean they're saying you MUST replace your rotors anytime you replace your pads?

No, that's not even close to reasonable. It's an outright lie.
Old 04-04-08, 01:57 PM
Gernby
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Quit using dealership service. Nothing about what they are telling you is reasonable. The pads are about $70, and it only takes about an hour to replace the pads with a floor jack and hand tools. I did my own swap a couple months ago, and didn't resurface or change my rotors. It just took a couple extra days for the pads to bed in.

I think JavyLSU did a DIY thread on it.
Old 04-04-08, 09:01 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource
Senior Moderator

Received 4,082 Likes on 2,474 Posts

They're telling you it is unsafe to resurface a disc? Why does the Factory Service Manual tell the tech to grind the disc if it is not flat if resurfacing is unsafe?
Attached Thumbnails TSIB refussal for '07 350-is350brakeinspection.jpg  
Old 04-06-08, 02:45 PM
skingsland
Driver

When I called back to get more information about why the rotors need to replaced, here's what my service adviser told me:

On some high-performance cars, such as the IS 350 and most BMWs, the rotors are made of a softer compound that gets a really bad lip worn in to it over the life of the brake pads. This lip is bad enough that the rotor cannot be resurfaced or rotated. They call the rotors for the IS 350 "throw-away brakes" because they must be replaced when the brake pads are replaced.
He offered to show me the lip in the rotor when I go in to pick up my car, but I don't know nearly enough about brakes to tell whether the lip is bad enough that they can't be resurfaced or "cut". I could take my car to another Lexus dealer and get a 2nd or 3rd opinion. Or I could use a non-Lexus shop, if I could find a good one in my area (No. VA).

I don't think I'm up to replacing my own brakes, but I'll take a look at Javy's DIY thread and see how difficult it looks:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=276736
Old 04-06-08, 10:53 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource
Senior Moderator

When I called back to get more information about why the rotors need to replaced, here's what my service adviser told me:

He offered to show me the lip in the rotor when I go in to pick up my car, but I don't know nearly enough about brakes to tell whether the lip is bad enough that they can't be resurfaced or "cut". I could take my car to another Lexus dealer and get a 2nd or 3rd opinion. Or I could use a non-Lexus shop, if I could find a good one in my area (No. VA).

I don't think I'm up to replacing my own brakes, but I'll take a look at Javy's DIY thread and see how difficult it looks:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=276736
Your dealer is lying to you. First, they don't need to be resurfaced unless there is damage on the surface of the disc. Second, they can be ground on a Blanchard centerless grinder (which is the recommended method for resurfacing any brake disc) regardless of the lip on the edge. Your dealer is trying to make you pay for something you most likely don't need.

And claiming the rotors are soft is the biggest bunch of crap I've heard in a long time. They're gray cast iron. It doesn't come in different hardness ratings, and it hardens the first time you get it hot anyway. I'm really amazed at how some of these dealers are ripping people off.
Old 04-07-08, 06:48 AM
Gernby
Lexus Champion

My rotors have a bit of a lip on them, but they still did fine just swapping the new pads on.
Old 04-08-08, 02:26 PM
skingsland
Driver

Originally Posted by lobuxracer
They're telling you it is unsafe to resurface a disc? Why does the Factory Service Manual tell the tech to grind the disc if it is not flat if resurfacing is unsafe?
Lobuxracer,

I'm no mechanic, but from reading the Factory Service Manual page you attached, it looks like the lip could be so bad on the rotor that replacing them *completely* with new rotors is the only option:

If the disc thickness is less than the minimum, replace the disc.
So is it possible that the rotor can't be rotated, resurfaced, or ground, if the thickness that remains on my rotor is less than a certain amount (what is this amount, btw)? I asked my service advisor how much thickness remains in my rotors, and he couldn't tell me. (He said "we don't even measure the thickness of the rotor if it needs to be replaced".)

I called the "Lexus Customer Satisfaction" number 5 days ago, and they just called back to tell me they are starting to look into this, and will be in contact with the dealer and me over the next 5 business days. I have already started to pursue other dealerships in the area, both to resolve this problem and to take my car to for future services.
Old 04-08-08, 04:34 PM
Gernby
Lexus Champion

... I asked my service advisor how much thickness remains in my rotors, and he couldn't tell me. (He said "we don't even measure the thickness of the rotor if it needs to be replaced".)
LOL ... You can't say that the rotors need to be replaced UNLESS you measure the thickness.
Old 04-08-08, 05:11 PM
FiveOhNine
Lexus Champion

I called the "Lexus Customer Satisfaction" number 5 days ago, and they just called back to tell me they are starting to look into this, and will be in contact with the dealer and me over the next 5 business days. I have already started to pursue other dealerships in the area, both to resolve this problem and to take my car to for future services.
Smart move. Lexus needs to rip these idiots a new one for trying to gouge you.
Old 04-09-08, 10:33 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource
Senior Moderator

Lobuxracer,

I'm no mechanic, but from reading the Factory Service Manual page you attached, it looks like the lip could be so bad on the rotor that replacing them *completely* with new rotors is the only option:

So is it possible that the rotor can't be rotated, resurfaced, or ground, if the thickness that remains on my rotor is less than a certain amount (what is this amount, btw)? I asked my service advisor how much thickness remains in my rotors, and he couldn't tell me. (He said "we don't even measure the thickness of the rotor if it needs to be replaced".)

I am a mechanic. There is no need to replace a rotor because it has a "lip," the only reason to replace it is because it is too thin. There is no such thing as a disc that can't be ground. That's a flagrant lie.

If they didn't measure the thickness, they don't have a clue whether the disc needs to be replaced or not. The only thing they are concerned about is lightening your wallet. I'd have a field day with this guy, and I'd make sure corporate knows this dealer is ignoring the factory service manual.
Old 04-10-08, 02:24 AM
nabbun
Lexus Champion

i love it when dealership tell you when you need stuff and when you don't need stuff like ur an idiot that doesn't know jack.

they try to act like their taking care of you but they're really not by not listening to you.

I wish there were more local shops that knew how to do maintenance on high end cars that anyone can go to with any vehicle instead of our dealerships.

I'm also starting to think about doing things at home but I'm kinda lazy. I work 5 AM - 4 PM at a warehouse
Old 04-10-08, 04:17 AM
lexuspdx
Pole Position

is there a time limit or mileage limit for getting the TSIB for brake dust? I've got exactly 15k now and 18 months on the car.
Old 04-10-08, 07:36 AM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Yes, the time limit is your factory warranty. 4 years, 50k miles.
Old 04-10-08, 12:50 PM
Electric
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The dealer just did the brake pad tsb on my 08! Hopefully there will be less dust!

Quick Reply: TSIB refussal for '07 350