Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

TSIB refussal for '07 350

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-08, 04:24 PM
TonySwank
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default TSIB refussal for '07 350

So I went to the dealership today to get the TSIB for the brake dust. After about 3 hours of waiting they said my car was ready. When I was finished checking out I asked to see the part number for the new brake pads, then they said they checked and my car didn't qualify. I had the TSIB with me but they went into a big explanation on how it only applied to certain VIN# and that mine didn't quality. I'm pretty sure thats BS but I argued for a little bit but decided to come check if thats actually the case.

Anyone else experience something like this?
Old 02-04-08, 04:32 PM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

The dealer is full of crap.
Old 02-04-08, 04:33 PM
pkvir
Driver

I'm going to call BS on that one. Did they show you proof of VIN#'s covered?
What dealer in TX did you go to? The TSIB that I have says 06 and 07 IS-350's with no stipulations on VIN#.
Old 02-04-08, 04:38 PM
IS350jet
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The TSB cover ALL IS250's, 250 AWD's, and 350's, 2006-2007, for any owner that complains of excessive dust. The 2008 update should be out any day, now. If only certain VIN ranges were covered it would be clearly spelled out in the TSB, which it's not. The dealer is full of BS. I would take it elsewhere.
Old 02-04-08, 04:41 PM
k_dizzle
Pole Position

I smell BS too! u should either take it to their manager or another dealer seriously.
Old 02-04-08, 04:51 PM
weesped
Lexus Champion

y not just print out the TSIB and go "show me where it says any thing about VINs"
Old 02-04-08, 05:04 PM
tshek
Pole Position

ask them for a copy what of the TSIB that they have that show the VIN.
Old 02-04-08, 05:13 PM
kickin8
2IS/2RX/4RX

Received 27 Likes on 22 Posts

if you got a 08.......

take it to another dealer.......
Old 02-04-08, 06:23 PM
Evitzee
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Or you may just decide that the engineers in Japan who place overall performance over some cosmetic brake dust may know what's best for the vehicle. If the replacement pads were so much better, and with no downside, they would have upgraded the 2008 stock units to the 'less dust' style. The liquid graphite wheel finish does not show the dust nearly as fast as the original painted wheels, so is it really an issue? Your choice, of course, but sometimes I think people go for these 'fixes' just because they can get something for nothing.
Old 02-04-08, 07:40 PM
DaWhole9
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Just had my 06 350 done....the Service writer said you have to be VERY specific about what you say to get it done. Tell them you have WAY too much brake dust on the front wheels...They are right in saying all other TSIBs are done based on VIN number as I had them make sure there were no other updates needed on my car. So your writer simply put your VIN number in and no TSIBs came up. By the way, I felt NO difference in braking at all....
Old 02-04-08, 09:33 PM
TonySwank
Driver School Candidate

I was pretty clear with the service rep about what I wanted. He seemed to think the only TSB available for my car is a brake squealing, so I'm assuming thats what he put in it under. I left a message with the manager and will call them tomorrow if I don't hear back.
Old 02-04-08, 10:31 PM
iKenn
Just call me "Sprinkes"

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Which dealer in texas?
Old 02-05-08, 08:37 AM
TonySwank
Driver School Candidate

It was Westside Lexus in Houston.

They also washed my car after I asked them not too. I was irritated when I was leaving and forgot to check for swirl marks. So I've been talking with a manager and they are "looking into" both situation.
Old 02-05-08, 12:56 PM
Gernby
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Evitzee
Or you may just decide that the engineers in Japan who place overall performance over some cosmetic brake dust may know what's best for the vehicle. If the replacement pads were so much better, and with no downside, they would have upgraded the 2008 stock units to the 'less dust' style. The liquid graphite wheel finish does not show the dust nearly as fast as the original painted wheels, so is it really an issue? Your choice, of course, but sometimes I think people go for these 'fixes' just because they can get something for nothing.
I think I generally agree with most of what you say, but definitely not this. I have no idea why Lexus hasn't made the low dust pads standard, since they are way more appropriate for a street car. I can only guess that you haven't driven a 350 equipped with the low dust pads.
Old 02-05-08, 01:34 PM
Bichon
Super Moderator

Received 267 Likes on 237 Posts

Originally Posted by Gernby
I think I generally agree with most of what you say, but definitely not this. I have no idea why Lexus hasn't made the low dust pads standard, since they are way more appropriate for a street car. I can only guess that you haven't driven a 350 equipped with the low dust pads.
I used to feel the same way about this issue as Evitzee, especially when a co-worker had the TSIB performed and noted that the brakes felt less effective. I wasn't willing to trade performance for cleaner wheels.

But after you (Gernby), Lobuxracer, and other performance oriented drivers came back with rave reviews of the low-dust pads, I decided to give them a try. I'm glad I did, as I definitely prefer the feel of the new ones. They are much easier to modulate, and I don't miss the overly grabby initial bite of the stock pads. The only thing I regret is waiting until the original ones wore out, since I had to pay for them myself.

Quick Reply: TSIB refussal for '07 350