Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

OEM parts and Shock leak

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-08, 05:28 AM
Wish
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default OEM parts and Shock leak

On Monday I took my car to the dealer for 25k service ..
- Oil change (done)
- Brake pads (done)
- Shock/Spring leak

I hate it when they say the part is not available.. and they cant give it back because they already ordered it

anyway.. I'm fed up with Lexus OEM parts..
how often you guys with different brake system change the pads??
What cause Shock/Spring leak??
Old 02-07-08, 07:53 AM
Gernby
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Wish
On Monday I took my car to the dealer for 25k service ..
- Oil change (done)
- Brake pads (done)
- Shock/Spring leak

I hate it when they say the part is not available.. and they cant give it back because they already ordered it
Huh? Are you saying that they are going to keep your car forever? How did they order a part that isn't available? BTW, springs can't leak.

Originally Posted by Wish
anyway.. I'm fed up with Lexus OEM parts..
how often you guys with different brake system change the pads??
What cause Shock/Spring leak??
Shocks are filled with oil, and sometimes the seals rupture or wear out. Brake pads are wear items, just like tires, so you have to replace them whenever the pad material gets too thin.
Old 02-07-08, 08:51 AM
Wish
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks.. for the clarification's i never been good in car parts.. still learning

I called the manager and he said oky come take the car. they couldn't find the part in the local market so they are trying with dealership in another country or they will wait for the shipment from the factory .. wts this a tank need a repair .. .

anyway I'm picking my car up tomorrow. btw the cool thing I changed my tint to 10%
Old 02-07-08, 09:38 AM
Joe Z
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1,063 Likes on 586 Posts

Not surprised..

Recently, I saw a rear shock leak / fail on a 2006 IS350 with 20k miles....
(Rear pas. side)

Seems odd they are failing kinda early on...

My 2001 IS300 Suspension lasted me 112k miles in 7 years... never had any issues...
Old 02-08-08, 08:11 PM
ExclusivIS
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Joe Z
Not surprised..

Recently, I saw a rear shock leak / fail on a 2006 IS350 with 20k miles....
(Rear pas. side)

Seems odd they are failing kinda early on...

My 2001 IS300 Suspension lasted me 112k miles in 7 years... never had any issues...
Joe, on the first Gen, were you dropped on after-market springs? I have a feeling I may be having a shock leak problem on my IS250. Car has been riding rough, and saw some spot marks on the control arm when I took my front wheel off the other day... What'dya think...?
Old 02-08-08, 11:50 PM
Joe Z
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by ExclusivIS
Joe, on the first Gen, were you dropped on after-market springs? I have a feeling I may be having a shock leak problem on my IS250. Car has been riding rough, and saw some spot marks on the control arm when I took my front wheel off the other day... What'dya think...?
Oh no sorry.... forgot to mention I was all on OEM Suspension...

Well, its pretty easy to tell... if you look at the shock/strut and it looks all oily & wet (on a dry day), then its leaking...

The IS350 I saw with the problem was on oem suspension as well.... It did however have 20's...
Old 02-10-08, 07:34 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,968 Likes on 2,402 Posts

Here's the official word on leaking shocks from Lexus:

As you can see, it has to leak a significant amount before it is considered bad.
Old 02-10-08, 09:41 PM
Joe Z
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by lobuxracer
Here's the official word on leaking shocks from Lexus:

As you can see, it has to leak a significant amount before it is considered bad.
Nice guide....

The one I saw on the 06' was Level 1 for sure.....
Old 02-11-08, 01:22 AM
ReLexin
Lexus Champion

so if ur shocks are leaking they probably wouldn't cover it if you have lowering springs..... rats
Old 02-11-08, 07:22 AM
Joe Z
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by ReLexin
so if ur shocks are leaking they probably wouldn't cover it if you have lowering springs..... rats
I'm going to say no, basically because the OEM shocks were not designed to work with "aftermarket springs" ... for the long term anyways...

Joe Z
Old 02-11-08, 12:13 PM
ExclusivIS
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Joe Z
I'm going to say no, basically because the OEM shocks were not designed to work with "aftermarket springs" ... for the long term anyways...

Joe Z
Aright in that case, what is the next best alternative? I checked out pricing of new shocks through L-tuned's OEM section, and they are priced at $157.00each...

To be honest, I would rather go ahead and buy an aftermarket strut setup like the F-sports that are coming out.Doesn't that make more sense?

..Or are they not AWD compatible...?
Old 02-12-08, 07:52 PM
mikez
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by ExclusivIS
Aright in that case, what is the next best alternative? I checked out pricing of new shocks through L-tuned's OEM section, and they are priced at $157.00each...

To be honest, I would rather go ahead and buy an aftermarket strut setup like the F-sports that are coming out.Doesn't that make more sense?

..Or are they not AWD compatible...?
I'm gonna be so disappointed if they arent

thats why I am holding back on the aftermarket shock urges
Old 02-24-08, 10:09 AM
GreyHound
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default replacement shocks

I had the rear shocks on my IS replaced at 7534 miles, not quite a year old. They were not leaking, but they were shot. No resistence at all. The car was hard to drive right before I had them replaced under warrenty.
When we took it to the dealer, I walked around to where the service bays are. The mechanic who was working on it. Had it up on the lift, looking at the shocks with a light.He asked me if this was my car, and asked me what the problem was. I said if you have a minute, lets take it for a drive.
Luckily leaving the parking lot was a somewhat shallow drainage dip.
It bottomed out, he said, Holy s_ _ t !
Replaced them immediately. It was perfect again. I am now up to 13780 now in miles and I think the replacement ones are starting to get weaker. Its starting to get a little 'thump' on bridge transitions.
We don't go off-roading, and its only been on a few concrete interstates. Nothing abusive, no direct hits on pot holes.
We don't drive he car hard, or haul wood in it. Its just me and my wife, we don't haul anyone else inthe car. I only weight 200 and my wife 124lbs. Cat sometimes,(10lbs).
I think they may have issues with the shocks on these cars. The reason they don't hear more about it is cause a lot of people go mod crazy on the suspension.
I may have to get stiffer/stronger springs for he rear. Tires are starting to get noisy, but thats another story.

Remember, You don't have to have a external leak for the internals of the shock to go bad.
Old 04-14-09, 07:17 PM
350PsDMeuP
Instructor

Today my advisor said my struts were leaking, I have 72,000 miles and no mods to the suspension. I think I'm going with coils or something else.
Old 04-15-09, 06:26 AM
Gernby
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by 350PsDMeuP
Today my advisor said my struts were leaking, I have 72,000 miles and no mods to the suspension. I think I'm going with coils or something else.
Were you aware of any problems with your shocks before taking it to the shop? It wouldn't be wise to purchase any suspension upgrades or repairs just because an "advisor" (salesman) told you something is leaking. You really should inspect the leak yourself, and make a decision based on how well you think the shocks are performing for you.

Quick Reply: OEM parts and Shock leak