Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

How to Adjust ride hight on coilovers?

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-08, 06:26 PM
97-SC300
Lexus Fanatic

Received 130 Likes on 108 Posts

they are not installed yet, i need to know how to lower adjust them first before i install them.
Old 02-07-08, 11:48 PM
TheMole
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

The pic you provided of the instructions seem pretty self explanatory. The first 4 steps tell you to loosen the bottom case lock nut and then use the tool on the stainless lower seat (not the lock nut) which rotates the whole cylinder. If viewing the coilover from the top, turn the lower seat clockwise to lower the car and counter-clockwise to raise the car. Once you get it to the desired height, lock the bottom case lock nut that you loosened in the beginning. This is how I see it adjusting from the directions provided.

The Cusco coilover setup may have 2 ways to adjust the height. The one that was just mentioned above and the other method which AutocoutureSC explained. I have the Tein CS as well and it involves loosening the lock nut and then rotating the lower seat for height adjustment. There is no case lock nut on the Tein CS so this is the only method of adjusting height.

Check out this link from the Tein website to read about the differences between "Ride Height Adjustable" and "Full Length Adjustable". I believe the Cusco is fully length adjustable. Hope this will help you understand how the height is adjusted:
http://www.tein.com/products/features.html#RideHeight
Old 02-08-08, 11:39 AM
evileagle
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

are you serious?

All you have to do it loosen up the bottom case locknut and the whole lower mounting bracket should twist up or down to the height you want.

If you dont know what your doing, I would consider leaving it to a professional before you screw something up or worse get hurt.

Gl
Old 02-08-08, 12:11 PM
97-SC300
Lexus Fanatic

Received 130 Likes on 108 Posts

Originally Posted by evileagle
are you serious?

All you have to do it loosen up the bottom case locknut and the whole lower mounting bracket should twist up or down to the height you want.

If you dont know what your doing, I would consider leaving it to a professional before you screw something up or worse get hurt.

Gl
What's with the attitude? Do you honestly think I'm some noob who has never wrenched before? fyi I've done 95% of all the work on my car. I just wanted to make sure before I procceed to do anything. Thanks to those that responded!
Old 02-09-08, 12:55 PM
Fireblaze
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by evileagle
are you serious?

Gl
Lol I feel like we at the DSM forums

Jake, did you have a Lexus yourself?
Old 02-12-08, 05:52 PM
BattleVer
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

On those types of coilovers, the locking rings on the bottom of the spring do preload of the spring, which you usually dont need to change. You adjust the height by the lower locking ring and its height. Your basicly moving the whole mounting point up or down the body of the shock.

For the cheeper coil overs, the spring preload is the height adjustment. Which also means the lower you go, the less suspension travel you get because of the shock body length.