Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Bad Tanabe Springs?

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-08, 06:25 PM
solspeed
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bad Tanabe Springs?

So i bought these springs off Ebays from Tanabe DF(200$) . Brought them to a shops for installation(with stock rims) everything went well. One month later i decided to put the new rims on..and to my surprise...Theres a 1'.2 inch gap on the right rear , and the left rear barely have any gap . The front is even. Basicly the front drop .8inch and the rear supposely 1.0inch, So after i saw what happen, i put my stock spring back for the rear which raise it up(wit some friends in my garage ) ),we have suceed installing the rear spring it look decent though it look like a chicks stickin her *** out hahha. So what do you guys think ? is this goin to be a super bad thing for my suspension ? cause i can feel the diff after..it Sux. Too loose i believe. I was thinkin of buying the sportpackage spring from lexus for the rear to even it up alil since the sportpackage are lower then regular is350 ? Any opinion ? thanks
Old 02-22-08, 06:29 PM
llamaboiz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Dont know what the problem is.... BUT the stock sport suspension springs for the rear are the same as non-sport, its only the front that are .4in lower... and... i like chicks with butts that stick out *but not the BIG bubble kine *
Old 02-22-08, 06:30 PM
AsianGirl007
Lexus Diva

Yikes, that doesn't sound good.

Yeah the front is supposed to be a 1 inch drop and the rear is 1.1 inch drop.

Not to make you feel any worse but that's why I never buy from ebay and never buy used springs. I feel for ya though!
Old 02-22-08, 06:34 PM
solspeed
Driver

Originally Posted by AsianGirl007
Yikes, that doesn't sound good.

Yeah the front is supposed to be a 1 inch drop and the rear is 1.1 inch drop.

Not to make you feel any worse but that's why I never buy from ebay and never buy used springs. I feel for ya though!
It was brand new . Could it be 1 in a million defected springs ? . Yea i know never buy from Ebays.. but for 200somthing i though at least i'll get a good quality one
Old 02-22-08, 07:37 PM
DaWhole9
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Could be the install...I would have taken it back to the shop that did the install...to make sure it wasnt them...they would have told you if it was the springs or not...You should have put BOTH rear stock springs on so you could compare the 2 Tanabe springs and make sure they are the same. If they were not, the seller sent you the wrongs springs..if it was unopened from the factory, contact Tanabe for a swap...but you have no clue because the shop that installed it didnt look at it, and you didnt compare the bad spring (if it was bad) to the good spring....
Old 02-22-08, 07:40 PM
almacruel
Pole Position

Why how much are the spring going for normally I think I paid 220 for mine at a local shop... Then again i've been going to this shop for a long time and spent a lot of money there in the past (hint the 600+ hp eclipse i built lol)... But I would contact Tanabe they usually have good customer service..
Old 02-22-08, 08:34 PM
solspeed
Driver

Originally Posted by DaWhole9
Could be the install...I would have taken it back to the shop that did the install...to make sure it wasnt them...they would have told you if it was the springs or not...You should have put BOTH rear stock springs on so you could compare the 2 Tanabe springs and make sure they are the same. If they were not, the seller sent you the wrongs springs..if it was unopened from the factory, contact Tanabe for a swap...but you have no clue because the shop that installed it didnt look at it, and you didnt compare the bad spring (if it was bad) to the good spring....

I took the car back to the shops last wednesday and the guy said it cant be the installation. Beside the front are normal except for the rear . And about returning the spring ? i dont think it worth the times and effort .But for now i like how the front sits and the rear it a little high but it's barely noticeable(to me) unless u really stare to it. ). I think the springs are defected because after i took the rear and swap it with stock, it sit nicely all around, not higher or lower then the other like before. I hope i can survive with these set up for another yrs so i can save up some $$$ and get myself a ksport coilover kits . Going to take some picture 2morow . And tell me what you guy think /
Old 02-22-08, 08:41 PM
solspeed
Driver

Originally Posted by almacruel
Why how much are the spring going for normally I think I paid 220 for mine at a local shop... Then again i've been going to this shop for a long time and spent a lot of money there in the past (hint the 600+ hp eclipse i built lol)... But I would contact Tanabe they usually have good customer service..
Whoaa..600whp..you must hav alott of fun with that lol . The springs are usually cost around that prices.
Old 02-22-08, 09:25 PM
almacruel
Pole Position

Originally Posted by solspeed
Whoaa..600whp..you must hav alott of fun with that lol . The springs are usually cost around that prices.
Honestly I still haven't gotten to enjoy it yet I just got it tuned in nov and haven't drove it since... Can't wait till this winter is over to get it to the track should go mid 10's.... Last time I tracked the car it was making 520 whp car went 11.6 at 128 mph but that was with a slipping clutch and spinning all four tires on the launch.. ( btw clutch only had 1500 miles on it at the time car had too much power for it)

But anyway I'm curious to see what your car looks like with that setup you have on it
Old 02-22-08, 10:58 PM
Link350
Driver School Candidate

Thats odd, You should have took some pics of you car when it was leaning to one side. Show Tanabe, they prob. send you new springs. Anyways I droped my IS on Road Magnet springs, 2" front @ back $260 new. I like it, it rides nice, real nice especially with chicks in the back, with BIG butts that stick out, give me that bubble kine.
Attached Thumbnails Bad Tanabe Springs?-imga0261.jpg  
Old 02-23-08, 08:48 AM
passnu2
Lexus Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

dont think you got a bad product becuase it was from ebay, maybe when the car was lifted to put your rims on the car didnt set right when it was lowered? i am no expert but couldnt this have caused the change and thru driving settled back to its normal spot? how long did you drive the car after you installed the rims?
Old 02-23-08, 10:45 AM
Giggity
Pole Position

Originally Posted by solspeed
i put my stock spring back for the rear which raise it up.... is this goin to be a super bad thing for my suspension ? cause i can feel the diff after..it Sux. Too loose i believe. I was thinkin of buying the sportpackage spring from lexus for the rear to even it up alil since the sportpackage are lower then regular is350 ? Any opinion ? thanks
Super bad.... and a little dangerous. Does the car now push like slicks on ice?
If all your looking for is an "even gap" then pop for some cheap coilovers and monkey with it til your happy with the "gap", you'll never get a perfectly "even gap" out of just springs.
Old 02-23-08, 05:23 PM
solspeed
Driver

Originally Posted by passnu2
dont think you got a bad product becuase it was from ebay, maybe when the car was lifted to put your rims on the car didnt set right when it was lowered? i am no expert but couldnt this have caused the change and thru driving settled back to its normal spot? how long did you drive the car after you installed the rims?
I would'nt say everything on ebay's are bad, some of the stuff up on there are actually really goods . And i drove the car back and forth to work for about 1 weeks , after that it jut got really annoying with all the rubbing noise and the gap thing jus make me more paranoid . The springs should've settle by then. I even took the rims out and put back the stocky wheels to see ..but cant really tell because of the size differences. And about 2 weeks later i slaps the rims back on( rolling the fender) and yet i still see the same craps.
Old 02-23-08, 05:30 PM
solspeed
Driver

Originally Posted by Giggity
Super bad.... and a little dangerous. Does the car now push like slicks on ice?
If all your looking for is an "even gap" then pop for some cheap coilovers and monkey with it til your happy with the "gap", you'll never get a perfectly "even gap" out of just springs.
Im not driving my 350 to it fullest like before, so maybe just driving soft like a b!*atch lol would make the suspension last a little longer til i can afford some legit coilover. Dont want to settle for a *cheap coilover lol . The reason why i chose springs because i think my stock shocks are still good til 50k miles only gotten 22k now, so when it reach 50k im goin to swaps out and get some good coilover or maybe even an airs suspension .
Old 02-23-08, 06:15 PM
AsianGirl007
Lexus Diva

Wow, new springs huh? I've never heard of that before. That reeeeally sucks.

Quick Reply: Bad Tanabe Springs?