Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

My gixxer_drew Bilstein Hypercoil Review

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-08, 02:16 PM
mr2tosc4
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by DETUNED
Did you purchase the 5" sleeves or 7" and would you happen to have any pictures of the coilover assembled and not on the car with the sleeves you used?

Also, on your bilsteins, did you have to settings for your c clip adjustment? Cause mine only have one.
I used 7" and cut 8 threads off from the end gixxer_drew specified. the only pic I have of them while I was putting them on is in this thread I made about my install:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...another+gixxer
Old 09-19-08, 02:33 PM
TreoWayne
Driver School Candidate

I used the 5" sleeves. It seemed from reading other people's comments that the extra 2" of threading was not useful in setting reasonable ride height.
Old 09-19-08, 06:52 PM
mr2tosc4
Lexus Test Driver

coilover sleeves are cheaper at speedway motors, that's where i got mine. for the springs i got them from shock-shop.com
Old 09-20-08, 12:55 AM
dAng_bAy
Lead Lap

i skimmed through this thread, if i missed it somewhere let me know. any body here attempted the street/track set up? i was wandering how the ride on that is like...?

Last edited by dAng_bAy; 09-20-08 at 06:39 AM.
Old 09-20-08, 12:58 AM
Curry
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Glad it worked out for you matt. I'm in the process of getting mine going. Hopefully it comes out and rides like yours... lol.
Old 09-25-08, 12:59 PM
WICKED SC4
Driver

Originally Posted by dAng_bAy
i skimmed through this thread, if i missed it somewhere let me know. any body here attempted the street/track set up? i was wandering how the ride on that is like...?
I ordered some 800lb fronts and 675 rears, they should get in any day now. Right now I have the 500lb front and 250lb rears. They ride like a stock porsche or ferrari. Compliant over just about everything. Stiff enough for spirited driving, but a little lax for racing.

I love this setup! It's awesome enough to put on every car I own!
Old 09-27-08, 12:19 PM
RedPhoenix
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Glad everyone is enjoying it. I love mine still. Although the roads where i live now are garbage, Its been working out well.
Old 09-29-08, 01:44 PM
jdmwongsta
Driver

would i be able to pull this off on a 2003 gs300?

i have tanabe df210s with kyb gr-2s right now...would this setup be softer than that?
Old 10-02-08, 05:57 AM
WICKED SC4
Driver

Yes. and No. Yes you could put this setup on your GS, you just wouldn't get the AK1242 and AK1243 bilstiens. You would get the Bilstiens for the GS application, I think it is the BE5-2802, and BE5-2803. Then everything else would work. I would definetly go higher spring rate on your GS because it is a larger car, with a higher center of gravity. I would do the 600/400 at minimum.

To someone who has never owned a high performance car, yes the ride is somewhat firm. To people who know how harsh performance suspensions are, no it doesn't ride harsh at all.

If you are looking for a "soft" suspension that you can lower your car with, look elsewhere. This is not for that. It is a awesome suspension for someone who actually wants their car to drive aggressively and hook in all situations driving on any road surface in any condition. That is what this is for. You will be dissapointed if you are expecting a "soft" suspension. If you are expecting a super high performing suspension this may be for you.

Keep in mind the goals that GixxerDrew (originator of this) had was to make a cost no object RACE suspension that was streetable. It's for a driver that races his car and needs his car to hook. Its not for a casual driver that wants to lower his car so the rims will look right.

My $1.02

Last edited by WICKED SC4; 10-02-08 at 06:17 AM.
Old 10-07-08, 06:27 PM
drewgo
Lexus Test Driver

Does anyone sell the kit... I need my rears.

thanks
Old 10-08-08, 12:23 PM
SHOLEXMAN
Lexus Test Driver

Damn good enough to be stickyed 10 pages later lol. His car still drives fine with no issues. Finally had a alignment done and 4 new tires FINALLY!
Old 10-08-08, 10:23 PM
Checkk
Driver

Quick question, are you guys still having a hard time finding these shocks? are they still on backorder?
Old 10-09-08, 02:55 PM
WICKED SC4
Driver

HOLY WOW! This new spring rate setup is the best handling car I have ever driven! I have driven Porsches, Lotuses, Aston Martins, Mercedes, Bentleys, BMW's, Vettes, Vipers, and NOTHING TOUCHES this setup I have!!!

First, I am amazed at the control and the shocks now, I can feel the springs are keeping up with the shocks perfectly. Everything is working like it should. I ran over curbs, speed bumps and potholes and NOTHING is hitting, bouncing, or oscillating. I went over v drainage dips at 45 mph and the car acted like it wasn't a bump there. What bump? It just followed the road, no fuss whatsoever. Speed bumps @ 45mph, only thing you hear is ph-st ph-st and you barely feel it. AMAZING. Don't let me convince you it rides SOFT, it is firm on everything. But that is just it, it is only firm, no harshness. So far it's not bone jarring or anything. If your girfriend rode in it she would say it rides rough, but compared to what's out there at this level, there is nothing within 5x the price.

I was concerned it would be harsh and unforgiving but the opposite was true. It actually felt smoother because it wasn't bouncing up and down after a bump. It did better than I expected. I couldn't even get it to hit the stops when I tried to. I can't quite wrap my head around why the ride is so smooth and compliant with rates that high. I was expecting SOME harshness, but there plain and simple isn't any!!! Just great dampening and spring action! Holy cow these bilstien are WAY UNDERRATED. THEY FLAT NAKED LIED about the dampening level...

Perfectly controlled, perfectly damped and sprung, perfect handling even with the stock sways. I can use just my wrist action on the steering wheel and do a slalom, the car is poised and under control in transitions. The car no longer needs to settle in a corner, it just takes it- NOW. It no longer has to weight transfer to get it to do what I ask, it just does it- NOW. Hardest cornering and even drifting it is perfectly controlled and handlilng. wow! Progressive to the point of I can slowly wind out the wheel when countersteering and use the throttle to rotate- little throttle for a little, lot for a lot! I can drive at the limit so smooth and slow inputs, I can feel before it comes out when it is going to slide and gently input countersteer right before it starts gently letting go! Right then it will catch itself and I slowly dial the steering back and it goes back in line smoothly no jerking or pendulum action... I was drifting around a oval planter in a parking lot and I could get within 2-3" of the curb while drifting around the planter without hitting anything. It is so predictable and controlled, I am not afraid the car will bite when I am at or past the limit.

FYI now I am running 8" 800lb hyper coil fronts, and 10" 675lb rear. No helpers. No need, and it isn't high either. No noise or rattling- very quiet on the contrary. The bilstien have NOT been revalved either. Stock valved bilstien with the super high rates. Actually, this is so ideal, I would recommend this setup to any Supra high powered or not! It feels like a super car. Not a great handling GT. Razor sharp, no excess movements, surgical precision, gets it done.

I am impressed and honestly it takes a lot to impress me. I can start adding power to the chassis now, the handling is making a fool out of the power I am making. Now I can upgrade tires and power. I wasn't going to get those things until I maximize what I have. That stage is complete, thank you Drew, sir you are a scholar and a gentlemen.

This new setup exceeded all my expectations. My expectations were high to begin with, but WOW. This is a new bar, a new level I have not yet experienced, and wow, I OWN IT and get to drive on it every day! I am going to get spoiled real quick. I am not going to want to drive anything else.

I would get the 8" springs front and back if you are doing the track setup. Also, make sure the rears are using the 7" sleeves. The 5" sleeves will be adequate on the front, but the rear need the 7".

I am not changing it!
Old 10-09-08, 03:06 PM
mr2tosc4
Lexus Test Driver

i don't get it how you can get away with no helper springs for the spring rates you have. well i wouldnt since i'm running 500 - 300, but really wanted it a bit stiffer after hearing a lot of good reviews and success from people who are using higher spring rates. i wanted to try out 700-500 but thought it would end up too stiff for daily driving so i went with what was recommended. still love my setup nonetheless, beats majority of high priced setups. glad you're lovin it!
Old 10-09-08, 03:12 PM
Checkk
Driver

Shox.com had a set left. I ended up purchasing it along with Stupidnewb's setup of carrera springs 500/275lbs and but went with the 7" coilover kit. I'll let you know how it goes. Should receive everything by the end of next week and hopefully have it installed by the weekend.

Quick Reply: My gixxer_drew Bilstein Hypercoil Review