Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

My gixxer_drew Bilstein Hypercoil Review

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-09, 09:00 AM
hungwin
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Noise/Clunking

Did anyone else experience clunking in the front with their setup?

I'm on the 600/8" and 325/10" setup and I get a clunking noise coming from the fronts only. I didn't notice this on the Supra TT wheels, but after a road trip last weekend on the 19's and driving it around this week, there's definitely noise unbecoming of a Lexus. It only happens on sharp bumps.

I'm assuming it's the Bilstein top hat hitting the shock top, but I won't know for sure until I take a better look this weekend. Any ideas?

PS: The car has ~81K miles, so I would think the bushings are in better shape than most...

2009-08-12 Edit: One of the endlink nuts had come loose. Tightened it up and bye bye clunking!!!

Last edited by hungwin; 08-12-09 at 05:46 AM.
Old 08-10-09, 11:02 PM
darkling
Rookie

Default mounts

found something see what you guys think .
http://www.daymotorsports.com/produc...S-FOR-BILSTEIN
Old 08-15-09, 06:13 AM
RedPhoenix
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Looks exactly like my Bilstein ones.
Old 08-15-09, 06:22 PM
darkling
Rookie

Default seats

yeah found them with the same part number and 30.00 cheaper for us broke guys
Old 08-19-09, 03:32 PM
lemmiewink
Lead Lap

Time for me to join the gixxer drew club.

Energy suspension bump stops in the upper perch and by itself on the right with bilstein sleeves in the middle

Hypercoil spring rates 600 lbs front 325 lbs rear

And of course the bilstein shocks.

If people are having a hard time fitting on the sleeves. Make sure that the taper you are trying to cut out is definately gone. I had to slightly trim another thread or two on the sleeves because they would not fit unless the bottom inside of the sleeve was totally flat.
Old 08-21-09, 10:12 PM
1Bentley
Rookie

Any suggestions on how to adapt this setup to a 1995 ls400? My front axle weight is 2060lbs and rear 1720lbs with a full tank of gas. Believe it or not that is about the same as a sc400. I think my front/rear weight distribution is a little better than an sc400, but probably not enough of a difference to affect front/rear spring rates.
Old 08-21-09, 10:16 PM
1Bentley
Rookie

I forgot to mention the weight I listed was without driver but includes all stock accessories (tool kit,first aid,floormats etc.)
Old 08-25-09, 07:57 PM
yauser
Rookie

Default 400lb/225lb Still firmer than stock right?

Here's an example of what I'm looking for. I've driven a stock bmw 325i 1999, and a stock bmw 325ci 1999. The ci is the inclusive sport package that includes factory lowered ride height, and a slightly stiffer ride than 325i. I actually love the ci's ride quality and was wondering will just going 400lb front and 225lb rear on my 98 sc400 will give me a similar ride quality than the 325ci? Does anyone know? Those numbers are still higher than the stock sc400 spring rates right? As a matter fact, they are even higher than Tanabe springs.
Old 09-04-09, 12:53 PM
asnatlas
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just want to make sure I have everything before I place my order(s)

Bilstein Shocks - Set of 4 F&R AK1242,AK1243 from shox.com

COIL OVER KIT, 5" SLEEVE, 2" BODY from speedwaymotors.com
Do I get the 7" instead ??

Hypercoil (Front) Spring 550#/in 2.50 ID 8in length from shock-shop.com

Hypercoil (Rear) Spring 350#/in 2.50 ID 10in length from shock-shop.com

I am also looking at getting 4x Energy Suspension 4-6103 (Mustang Bump Stop)
Old 09-04-09, 01:09 PM
asnatlas
Lexus Test Driver

I found the Energy Suspension 4.6103G (Black) at AutoZone.com. I see they are listed for the "Front" I take it these will work for the rear as well ??
Old 09-04-09, 01:18 PM
Neucorp
Driver

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Yes. Those will work for the rear too. I bought the 5" sleeves. They work great with no cutting needed. Mine had to be placed with the tapered edge sitting on the c-clip. If I would have placed it with the other side, the sleeve would have been positioned above the body of the shock and the cap wouldn't have gone on.

Advice - don't go too low at first. Springs take a while to settle. You'll be in for a rough ride if you try to slam it to begin with. Also - go get it aligned every time you adjust it. Good luck with the UCA bolt on the front driver side...PITA. You may want to pick up some Deep Creep or PB Blaster.
Old 01-27-10, 08:54 AM
boostd4
Driver

Sorry if this question has been asked before..

How high can you raise the GixxerDrew setup? I want to do this for my daily driver, but in the winter, I don't want the car slammed. I'd like to have a good inch at least above the tire. Is that possible going GixxerDrew?
Old 01-27-10, 12:03 PM
kponti
Driver

Originally Posted by boostd4
Sorry if this question has been asked before..

How high can you raise the GixxerDrew setup? I want to do this for my daily driver, but in the winter, I don't want the car slammed. I'd like to have a good inch at least above the tire. Is that possible going GixxerDrew?
I just did this a little over a week ago. When I put the car back on the ground after hand tightening (light to no preload on springs), the car was definitely over half and inch higher than stock. My car is a 1999 with only 72K miles so I probably had no sag either on the stock springs.

However after doing this I will advise this....leave the clips on the shocks right where they are from the box, ie they are on the lower cut in the rear and the higher cut in the front. You will have less adjustment to do in the long round that way.
Old 01-27-10, 12:33 PM
kponti
Driver

I did this mod a week or so ago and I added cut inner tube tire between the tophat of the Bilsteins and the stock tophat (2 double walled in front/one double walled in the rear). The result is a LOT LESS noise/vibrations/harshness (NVH) when you hit a sharp bump or a pothole. I have bad roads around here so it certainly was necessary for me.

What the inner tube does is it replicates what the rubber isolator (continues with the rubber boot on the stock shock) does for the stock suspension.

PS I am using 600lb fronts and 350lb rear
Old 01-28-10, 02:16 PM
BAD954BOI
Lexus Champion

It's been a long time since i got word on the gixxer setup and i always keep it in mind but was looking at the meagan coilovers but now that i see alot of sc members have the setup and speak so highly of them i may just go with the gixxer i want my suspension to be the shid but at the same time i dont want to have the teeth rattling part when going over little bumps and railroad tracks so... guy's point me in the right direction because after reading that the 500f isn't to far from stock so the 600 would be better but i didn't get to much on the rear do you think 400r will give me what i'm looking for or is it going to cause me a trip to the dentist... my car isn't going to be a track car... just a daily driver and highway puller and once in a blue moon might hit the 1/4mile!!! if anything to can send me a pm
thanks!!

Quick Reply: My gixxer_drew Bilstein Hypercoil Review