Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

My gixxer_drew Bilstein Hypercoil Review

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-08, 06:29 AM
SeoulMan24
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Quick question for the OP.

I was putting this setup on my MK4 and noticed that the rears look fine when you put the top hat on and everything BUT the front coil's DO NOT reach the top hat unless I have the sleeve ALL THE WAY TO THE TOP (which of course is not normal).

I was wondering if yours did the same thing or not. If you would like for me to show you a picture I will.

Thanks.
Old 05-27-08, 07:38 AM
CLRH2O
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A picture speaks a thousand words
Old 05-27-08, 09:08 AM
slappy96
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

eshocks.com

for CLRH20. I got my Bilstein's from there.
Old 05-27-08, 03:36 PM
RedPhoenix
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by SeoulMan24
Quick question for the OP.

I was putting this setup on my MK4 and noticed that the rears look fine when you put the top hat on and everything BUT the front coil's DO NOT reach the top hat unless I have the sleeve ALL THE WAY TO THE TOP (which of course is not normal).

I was wondering if yours did the same thing or not. If you would like for me to show you a picture I will.

Thanks.

If you got the right size springs you are golden. there are different notches on the bilsteins if I remember correctly, which allow the sleeve to be differently positioned. But if you look at my pics, with my current front drop, the spring is near the top.

However, you may not have 8" springs, measure them?

Also please post a pic.
Old 05-28-08, 06:24 AM
SeoulMan24
Rookie

Originally Posted by RedPhoenix
If you got the right size springs you are golden. there are different notches on the bilsteins if I remember correctly, which allow the sleeve to be differently positioned. But if you look at my pics, with my current front drop, the spring is near the top.

However, you may not have 8" springs, measure them?

Also please post a pic.
Here are some pictures:

See how the rod is lower on the front one? Also, the c-clip is on the bottom for the front and on the top for the rears (This is what the factory said is should be at). Also notice the shock 2nd from the left where I adjusted it ALL THE WAY up so the coil would AT LEAST touch the top hat of the sleeve.

The front are 8" and the rear at 10" just as it's supposed to be:

Here is just an extra picture:
Old 05-30-08, 08:02 AM
SeoulMan24
Rookie

BUMP for help!
Old 05-30-08, 10:28 AM
evileagle
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

yeah there is going to be some play...that is normal....its not like you are gonna need 4" of travel.....

in that last pic, are the sleves all the way down? I remember mine sitting a little lower...
Old 05-30-08, 11:14 AM
SeoulMan24
Rookie

Originally Posted by evileagle
yeah there is going to be some play...that is normal....its not like you are gonna need 4" of travel.....

in that last pic, are the sleves all the way down? I remember mine sitting a little lower...
I undestand about play but I feel that once I put then on the car and proceed to lower it, the tire will hit the fender because it's going to be that much lower...(even with the lower hat raised ALL THE WAY UP TO THE TOP of the sleeve).

Yes, they are all the way down on the shock bodies. If they were any lower than that then the spring would be lower as well then in turn, the WHOLE CAR would be even lower.
Old 05-30-08, 09:31 PM
JJsc3
Driver

Originally Posted by SCoupe
"Honestly"... your set up no longer has anything to do with gixxer drew Bilstein Hypercoil set up. The gixxer drew set up was never about dropping the car to improve handling and specifically recommending not to lower more than 1" from stock with his set-up.

You've slammed your sc to within half an inch of its suspension travel then capped it off by using crappy springs by any informed standard and beg others to join you before trying gixxer drew's well conceived and executed suspension system.
Whoo...Chill pill perhaps bro. Take it easy sunshine. "Crappy springs?" Oh, my crappy Eibach's you meant. It's a spring with a brand name, and definitely not a spring without one. "Begging others to join me?" You're talking for me here bro. I'm only recommending people to try it. It's still an Eibach/Bilstein setup, which TRD recommends in the first place, but I've lowered it also. If you've driven the regular Eibach/Bilstein setup without lowering it any further, "HONESTLY", the ride sorta sucks. That's probably the impression you have, because you've done it before. But like I said, drop it, and you'll see what Bilstein/Eibachs will do. Listen Mr. I've driven one of the best suspension setups out there, FLT-A2's, something very very expensive that not too many can afford, but yet I still feel that my current setup is better. If you're going to drop 1" out of your ride, you might as well leave it stock. 1" of a drop was like 10yrs. ago. OH! Also, with 3" of a drop, I was still able to get my suspension aligned within specs, and withOUT the need of a camber kit, lol.. If you're nearby Frisco, I can recommend the shop to do your allighment for $100.00, well worth the investment. It just keeps getting better bro.

"HONESTLY", I think you're getting a bit offended here. Is there anybody considering this route? I'll post some pictures also, so lookout for my post fellas. Thanks to the ones for not trying to create a situation here, saying words indirectly to attack others. But luckily, I'm a happy camper, plus I manage this kind of nonsense at work all the time. Therefore, I'm still smiling. My presence here is not to create drama, so no need for harsh statements behind the screen.

And ahh Seoulman24, pm me and I'll help you.

Last edited by JJsc3; 06-02-08 at 08:00 PM.
Old 05-30-08, 09:48 PM
UpInTheLex
Instructor

Received 36 Likes on 24 Posts

Dude JJ you're up to post count 40 something and you think we all care to hear your "expert" opinions on ****. When it comes down to it, you do not understand the technical aspects of elements you're suggesting people run on their cars.

And lets get something else straight... You don't have any clout to come on our board and start telling valued members who've contributed a lot over the years what they can and can't afford. I suggest you try and mellow out.
Old 05-30-08, 10:50 PM
SeoulMan24
Rookie

Can I just get some help?
Old 05-30-08, 11:49 PM
JJsc3
Driver

Originally Posted by UpInTheLex
Dude JJ you're up to post count 40 something and you think we all care to hear your "expert" opinions on ****. When it comes down to it, you do not understand the technical aspects of elements you're suggesting people run on their cars.

And lets get something else straight... You don't have any clout to come on our board and start telling valued members who've contributed a lot over the years what they can and can't afford. I suggest you try and mellow out.

Now that I'm sober, so you base experience with the # of posts? Wow! That's a good idea ain't it? So I guess all the work from the past 6yrs. of switching out several coilovers and strut/shock systems, going na-t, auto to 5spd, installing sway/strut bars, replacing control arm bushings, tuning electronics, installing nitrous, and etc..., all meant nothing as long as my post count is low. I'm sorry but, can't I join the club after doing all this work, and then share my experience with valued members here? I'm also pretty mellow already even after being insulted for "topping off my bilstein's w/ a set of crappy springs", lol. But in any case, I'm not here to exchange argumentative statements, but to provide crucial info. only. Therefore..., I drop, and I'm out! PEACE!

Last edited by JJsc3; 06-02-08 at 08:04 PM.
Old 05-31-08, 08:17 AM
sumotime
Rookie

The power of the net and the Bichnnn that goes with it.
Anyways ... I just got my Bilstein's in this week and the LEX is goin LOW. OK just a little lower 1.5" Front and 1" in the back. Mark this day because Tight Azz Sumo has spent money on a little FUn and not on a necessity .
RP again thanks for the thread and the motivation to do the upgrade. Also thanks to all the contributers to this thread who have given us their perspective. I'll post pics when I get it back form the shop !!!! Sumo
Old 06-01-08, 07:59 AM
SeoulMan24
Rookie

I assume that you (OP) DO NOT know the answer since you are not posting on this thread anymore?
Old 06-01-08, 08:03 AM
mr2tosc4
Lexus Test Driver

if i knew the answer I'd help you out but i haven't done this myself yet.

Quick Reply: My gixxer_drew Bilstein Hypercoil Review