Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Lower Control Arms!

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-08, 10:55 PM
EpixINC
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lower Control Arms!

okay finished my tune up and decided to see if i could do anything about my annoying suspension today. i get a nasty clunk when i run over city *******, or rough road. and at higher speeds it gets shaky. well as i look underneath, i notice for one the Upper Ball joint looks totally trashed, well the top does, but it passes the ball joint tests... so i check out the lower side, and what do i find? both of the bushings on the LCA are SHOT. when i back the car up and hit the brakes u actually see the arm shift backwards!!! so i look online and i see the poly bushings for like 100 bucks, but my question is this. IF i put the bushings on only one side, as thats the side thats shot, how is it gonna affect the ride? or should i just spend a bit more and buy enough bushings to go both sides, and the power steering bushing and sway arm bushings? just hit em all one fell swoop and get it over with. Other question is, if i dont get this fixed right away, which i wont, because money is tight, how will it affect me long term? are there any serious risks i need to worry about? i wont lose a wheel or lose control or nothing right?? ? ? any input would be appreciated... also, if anyone is selling a bushing kit NEW or USED, let me know.
Old 02-27-08, 11:16 PM
EpixINC
Driver

Default Look at this!!

this is just one of the pix.
Attached Thumbnails Lower Control Arms!-a2450fd16b21.jpg  
Old 02-27-08, 11:17 PM
EpixINC
Driver

and this is the Upper ball joint. it dont look pretty but its still solid.
Attached Thumbnails Lower Control Arms!-09223389981e.jpg  
Old 02-27-08, 11:22 PM
Blkexcoupe
Lead Lap

Received 551 Likes on 370 Posts

The bushings kits are normally front and rear, not passenger and driver, so the whole car would only require 1 front kit and 1 rear kit if you want to do the arms. Other bushing options are sway bushings and the steering rack bushings.

I'm waiting to have my bushings replaced too since the rear shock mount bushing on my sc is shot, and my car makes clunks on bumps. I ordered the daizen rear bushing kit, but I'm not sure if it replaces that specific bushing that I need, so I've been putting it off.
Old 02-28-08, 01:06 AM
TheMole
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

How many miles are on those arms? Since you have a 92 I am assuming it has over a 100k miles. I recommend you replace the whole arm so that you get new bushings and balljoints. You can use 93-96 Supra arms for about $200 per side brand new.
Old 02-28-08, 06:58 AM
EpixINC
Driver

i just broke 180k so im sure its pretty worn.... i just dont have that kind of money to replace the entire arm on both sides.... im just a young military soldier ... look at my signature,.... do i look like i have a lot of money?
Old 02-28-08, 07:31 AM
TheMole
Lexus Champion

Haha its all good. Just get the arms when you have saved up enough. You will be paying more in the long run if you replace the bushings now. Reason is because if the balljoints fail, you would need new arms anyways. If you do all of the labor yourself it may be worth it for now. Don't forget to get an alignment when you are done.
Old 02-28-08, 06:54 PM
LexusRex
Driver School Candidate

In looking at the available Control Arms I noticed only Lower ones for the front RIGHT but not the Left. There are lower control arms on both sides right ? ? ? ? ?

I have a 92 SC 300 w/ 177K miles and the bushings (and probably the ball joints) are shot!
Old 02-28-08, 09:59 PM
EpixINC
Driver

Originally Posted by LexusRex
In looking at the available Control Arms I noticed only Lower ones for the front RIGHT but not the Left. There are lower control arms on both sides right ? ? ? ? ?

I have a 92 SC 300 w/ 177K miles and the bushings (and probably the ball joints) are shot!
okay where are u looking at them at? some website? dealer price on them is 372. i dont want dealer parts.... there are definitly LCA on both sides.....
Old 02-28-08, 10:54 PM
rootaku
Rookie

stupid question but, would this effect MPG possibly also? My Bushings are also shot sadly and I may end up using a chunk of my tax return to get them done =x. And sc300max mentioned supra LCA for 200 bucks a pop, is that the standard price for them then? I got quoted for about lets see.... 600-700 bucks to replace just bushing with a aftermarket lexus bushing kit with labor I believe, the OEM lexus's were quoted about 1600 with labor. so yeah... I forget how much the guy quoted for labor though but it was roughly a few hours...
Old 02-29-08, 12:02 AM
Blkexcoupe
Lead Lap

Received 551 Likes on 370 Posts

Originally Posted by rootaku
stupid question but, would this effect MPG possibly also? My Bushings are also shot sadly and I may end up using a chunk of my tax return to get them done =x. And sc300max mentioned supra LCA for 200 bucks a pop, is that the standard price for them then? I got quoted for about lets see.... 600-700 bucks to replace just bushing with a aftermarket lexus bushing kit with labor I believe, the OEM lexus's were quoted about 1600 with labor. so yeah... I forget how much the guy quoted for labor though but it was roughly a few hours...
Yeah, the standard price for supra front LCA is around 200 each. The bushing replacement is more labor intensive then swapping the LCA, so it'll have a higher labor cost.

Most people would agree supra LCA are the way to go since they are cheaper then oem sc arms, easier to replace then just the bushings, and the best part is that you'll get brand new balljoints.
Old 02-29-08, 07:51 AM
EpixINC
Driver

but exactly what year is it that will fit??? i did some searching and i am coming up with two different answers... some say MKIII and some say MKIV which is it?
Old 02-29-08, 07:54 AM
EpixINC
Driver

and while you are at it, please let me know where u found a supra LCA for two hundred.... cuz i cant find it... this is the only one i have found. http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/5-93-...spagenameZWD1V and that definitly aint 200 bucks.
Old 02-29-08, 08:14 AM
TheMole
Lexus Champion

Supra lca's will fit, but get the ones from 93-96 since the 97-98 are aluminum and are more expensive.
Checkout one of our vendor's sites Carson Toyota: http://www.trademotion.com/partlocat...?siteid=214915

They also have an extra 5% coupon code going on right now:
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=323995

Pm me for other sites as well.
Old 02-29-08, 12:15 PM
EpixINC
Driver

okay carson wants almost three for theirs... i got a guy selling a very lightly used one from a supra for 120 bucks.... think i might take that route... if the ball joint is anygood.

Quick Reply: Lower Control Arms!