Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Supra Brakes Vs. LS400 Brakes

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-08, 02:57 AM
dejacky
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ihiryu
I got LS cause they were cheaper...I have a question that is a bit off topic, but how is everyone's pedal feel? Mine is pretty weird, like the first inch is nothing, but the rest is pretty good though. Big improvement despite the dead pedal up top.
I notice the same thing with my LS400 front calipers; I have to push the pedal further down to get the brakes to work. But, as you said, they do stop the car noticeably quicker, it's just not as smooth engagement compared to stock calipers.

The answer to avoiding heavy stock front brake discs, is get lighter aftermarket ones .
Old 03-05-08, 08:19 AM
Touge
Pole Position

I don't think they make 2 piece rotors for the LS ?
Old 03-05-08, 08:50 AM
ihiryu
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've bled the brakes a lot of times, and it still didn't change anything. I don't think that the SS lines will make a difference, but who knows?
Old 03-05-08, 06:11 PM
Durrr
Lead Lap

ive got stainless lines and TT fronts, working on sourcing some TT rear calipers, and I have dead pedal also, but once it engages, if I put any major pressure down, it stops on a dime.
Old 03-05-08, 06:14 PM
97RSPSCTT
Pole Position

imo, I think if you have the money, TT calipers are the way to go. LS calipers are great if on a tight budget.
Old 03-05-08, 08:06 PM
SCoupe
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by dejacky
The answer to.. heavy stock front brake discs is getting lighter aftermarket ones .
Totally agree with concept, but price is normally one of the reasons (see this thread) for going LS. Purchasing lightweight rotors, if made for the LS, are serious $$$$ and blows the price advantage completely.
Old 03-05-08, 08:25 PM
TheCoupe
Driver

I actually got the LS's based on the appearence... sounds kinda corny but its true.
Old 03-06-08, 06:12 AM
ihiryu
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

So any idea on a master cylinder swap? That's probably what our next move should be.
Old 03-06-08, 12:05 PM
Baoser
Lead Lap

Received 9 Likes on 3 Posts

cheap + available at the time...would swap to TT calipers if chance came up and funds permit, for better pad/rotor selection...
Old 03-07-08, 11:48 AM
bio3m
Driver

Is there a write up on what is needed for the LS conversion?
From what i have seen you need:
calipers
rotors
pads(obviously)
anything else?

Your pedal feel is loose at the start cause you have to push 4 more pistons! you have to move a LOT more fluid before they start to grab.
Old 03-07-08, 12:20 PM
Baoser
Lead Lap

Received 9 Likes on 3 Posts

-calipers
-rotors
-pads
-shims and pins
-brake bleed
-small spacers, or LS caliper bolts.
-metal cutters to trim/remove dust shield

i think thats about it?...
Old 03-07-08, 06:06 PM
stevechumo
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I have the LS rotors for the front and stainless lines and I have no issue like any of you stated. When I press the brake pedal, it stops right away and there's no such effort needed like some of you mentioned. I think the important thing is you'll need to bleed the brake correctly. I had to spend almost 1 hour to bleed both fronts. If the air is still in the lines, you'll have the spongy feeling. Try to bleed untill there's no more bubbles showing.

Costs? The complete LS set including rotors costs 1/2 of the TT Supra. I don't see the advantage of the TT Supra can overcome the LS. I'm not sure if the TT Supra can stop quicker, but this LS setup stops me right away, even when I'm boosting hard. Second, the LS is more narrower than the Supra, therefore, it'll fit behind the wheels easier than the Supra. These 2 advantages are the main advantages that the Supra can't beat. For pad selection, you won't need a lot of selections. You may either go for factory pads, EBC, or Monroe, and a few more brands.
Old 03-07-08, 08:30 PM
Ac93sc
Driver

ok guy, since i'm going to install my LS BBK soon so i went to the dealer for some answer, I was told that there is only one way to bleed the brake right. the brake system for toyota and lexus is a clockwise direction, start from the Rear Right --> Rear Left --> Front Left and last is the Front Right. The mechanic told me that different brand car have different Brake Bleed direction. I can't confirm this yet since i'm waiting for the rotor to arrive. But once I installed i will confirm it. hope this help.....
Old 03-07-08, 10:17 PM
TheCoupe
Driver

Originally Posted by Ac93sc
ok guy, since i'm going to install my LS BBK soon so i went to the dealer for some answer, I was told that there is only one way to bleed the brake right. the brake system for toyota and lexus is a clockwise direction, start from the Rear Right --> Rear Left --> Front Left and last is the Front Right. The mechanic told me that different brand car have different Brake Bleed direction. I can't confirm this yet since i'm waiting for the rotor to arrive. But once I installed i will confirm it. hope this help.....
For most vehicles you would start the farthest from your master cylinder its kinda a quick rule of thumb... RR, LR, FR, FL.
Old 03-08-08, 12:06 AM
stevechumo
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Ac93sc
That seems to be the right sequence. I have the Lexus repair manual but didn't follow the instruction. I just bled both fronts until no more bubbles coming out. And when they fluid came out clean, it came out with really great pressure more than the stock SC calipers. I then bled the rear. If you look into the slotted/drilled rotors, I think the drilled rotors will give you smoother stopping, although they might not stop as quick as the slotted ones. While you change the calipers, it's a good idea to pay $80 more and install the stainless steel lines.

Quick Reply: Supra Brakes Vs. LS400 Brakes