Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Lower Ball joint failed today - with pics

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-11, 01:32 PM
bADBOySC4
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

anyone experience the Carson tuned caster bushings? any difference from the daizen?
Old 01-23-11, 01:33 PM
bADBOySC4
Pole Position

im wondering if the caster bushings being torn is the cause of these balljoint failures? putting to much for/aft load on the lower ball joints? looking into daizen or carson tuned bushings.
Old 01-24-11, 01:51 PM
handogg
Pit Crew

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Is there an equivalent of lower ball joints that should be replaced for safety's concern on the rear of the car or do they only exist on the front?
Old 01-30-11, 05:24 AM
goodbuds
Driver School Candidate

did lower ball joint ,outer tie rod, alighnment stayed the same. with the right tools only about 1hour each side.. was easy and felt big difference still hear the clunk so im also going to change the shocks in about 2 hours..ill see if it goes away
Old 03-09-11, 12:02 PM
MUH
Driver School Candidate

FIENDS PLEASE DO NOT LET FRIEDNS USE CHEAP EBAY SUSPENSION PARTS!

This thing on the pictures below was perfectly brand new lower ball joint purchased by me about 16 months ago on eBay. It all started when I first came across this thread about 2 years ago. I had 2001 GS430 and being a car enthusiast decided to replace ball joints and tie rod ends as a preventive measure so my car would not look like the original topic starter's car one day.

Car had approximately 80K mile on it so I decided to go ahead and change those suspension parts just to be on a safe side, besides nobody got hurt by installing the new steering and suspension parts. So I got parts from eBay. Pleasantly inexpensive. If my memory serves me well - set of 2 LBJs was about $80. That's two-and-a-half times cheaper than dealer. So I thought: Oh..piece of cast iron is a piece of cast iron. Who cares where it was made. I am not paying two times more just because they want to sell me a nice Toyota Logo on the package. I used to be a mechanic myself and have installed tons of aftermarket parts in my life. Shoul be no problem".

So I installed those LBJs and enjoyed them for about 16-18 months until day before yesterday this damned thing just gave up on me. I can't express how extremely lucky I feel myself that it happened at approximately 3mph speed on a parking lot and not on a highway.
Attached Thumbnails Lower Ball joint failed today - with pics-1.jpg   Lower Ball joint failed today - with pics-2.jpg   Lower Ball joint failed today - with pics-3.jpg   Lower Ball joint failed today - with pics-4.jpg  
Old 03-09-11, 12:34 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

When I had my old LS, I replaced lower ball joints and steering tie rods with aftermarket ones, and they didn't last a year.

I will never molest any of my cars with any aftermarket parts.
Old 03-09-11, 03:05 PM
MUH
Driver School Candidate

Well. "You've got what you've paid for" is as true as it gets. I am used to aftermarket parts being less than OEM reliable when it comes to things like...ummm...let's say - starters for example. But a piece of metal....that came as a surprise. After all any modifications we are doing to our cars are done with aftermarket parts as Lexus did not produce them. All those exhausts, intakes, big brake kits, shocks, coilovers, lowering springs, torque converters, etc - they are all aftermarket/performance parts. Also if OEM parts were THAT significatnly better in quality as some people belive they are - we would not have to replace them, wouldn't we Nothing is built to last forever - that's for sure. I just did not expect a 1 1/2 year old part to break in half.

P.S. : Please refresh my memory, comrade. This fine soldier on your avatar...is it sergeant Egorov or junior sergeant Kantaria?

Last edited by MUH; 03-09-11 at 05:26 PM.
Old 07-22-11, 04:03 PM
TonyN
Instructor

Received 119 Likes on 82 Posts

glad I found this thread, just lowered my car, just orered teh OEM 01+ ball join for install and then alighment, since I need an alightment after I lowered the car anyways.
Old 07-28-11, 01:51 PM
thuynh100
Driver School Candidate

ouch, hope everything is fixed.
Old 07-28-11, 01:54 PM
1sWt2GS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 26 Likes on 17 Posts

scary indeed
Old 08-12-11, 05:16 AM
TonyHC
Driver

Look into MOOG balljoints or go OEM. Avoid the cheap stuff as this owner stated.
Old 09-12-11, 10:20 AM
sakataj
Lexus Fanatic

Received 73 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by TonyHC
Look into MOOG balljoints or go OEM. Avoid the cheap stuff as this owner stated.
just a heads up guys....since sewell NOW wants $168.98 BEFORE shipping i thought i would bring this back up from this post

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sus...ll-joints.html

i got mine at a local place called car quest the one i ordered mine from is (901) 373-8464 but they are nationwide too. very helpful place, they came sealed in the oem toyota bags as they are a OEM toyota part and are $67.68 a side! (NOW they are even cheaper at $67.59 a side)

on the left lower part # is L2020-139818-OES
on the right lower part # is L2020-139817-OES

so a saving of $33.80 before shipping (although neither sewells price nor this price counts for shipping i cant imagine shipping will really eat up the almost $35 savings)
Old 09-12-11, 12:19 PM
onihc
I heart Honda

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by sakataj
just a heads up guys....since sewell NOW wants $168.98 BEFORE shipping i thought i would bring this back up from this post

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sus...ll-joints.html

i got mine at a local place called car quest the one i ordered mine from is (901) 373-8464 but they are nationwide too. very helpful place, they came sealed in the oem toyota bags as they are a OEM toyota part and are $67.68 a side! (NOW they are even cheaper at $67.59 a side)

on the left lower part # is L2020-139818-OES
on the right lower part # is L2020-139817-OES

so a saving of $33.80 before shipping (although neither sewells price nor this price counts for shipping i cant imagine shipping will really eat up the almost $35 savings)
this is weird?! i'm browsing sewel and after clublexus discount, before shipping, LBJ set(L+R) price is 121.92
Old 09-12-11, 01:08 PM
sakataj
Lexus Fanatic

Received 73 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by onihc
this is weird?! i'm browsing sewel and after clublexus discount, before shipping, LBJ set(L+R) price is 121.92
SIGH....i see my error, im retarded. lol no i forgot to sign in...they are indeed $121.92 and $133.12 SHIPPED to me. well i think i went with this company due to no shipping cost/not to mention not having to wait for them to ship from sewell.
Old 11-27-11, 12:47 PM
socal72
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by TonyHC
So I found some ball joints made by a company called Meyle has anybody ever heard of this manufacturer? Reading their product reviews and looking at the types of cars they make products for, they seem to have a good reputation in the industry. I also noticed that ToyoLex sells them and they are a factory parts dealer right? So i'm wondering if they would be ok to use since my paranoia is increasing by the day, and I can get a really good deal on these joints?....LMK

Quick Reply: Lower Ball joint failed today - with pics