Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Lower Ball joint failed today - with pics

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-12, 06:42 AM
socal72
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by GokuSSJ3
Go to RockAuto.com. They have great prices for items for our cars. I actually paid $120 shipped for two well made LBJ's and two outer tie rods by MOOG. If you Google rock auto, you should find a 5% off code you can enter on their website "how did you hear about us". They ship very fast (purchased last Friday, received yesterday) and their cust service is outstanding.
OK thanks for the info, I'll look them up right now and get them ordered ASAP!
Old 01-11-12, 07:19 AM
SaiyanGS3
Racer

Received 92 Likes on 74 Posts

Originally Posted by socal72
OK thanks for the info, I'll look them up right now and get them ordered ASAP!
No problem buddy! I'm ecstatic that these lbj's have grease points on them! That is definitely a upgrade from non-grease OEM version. I will have these things greased every tire rotation (6k miles) since the car will be up in the air.
Old 01-11-12, 08:23 AM
SPRTNYDSN
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

that site is the ****. I bought body parts from them. Will let you know how fitment is with them.
Old 01-11-12, 11:46 AM
socal72
Lead Lap

No problem buddy! I'm ecstatic that these lbj's have grease points on them! That is definitely a upgrade from non-grease OEM version. I will have these things greased every tire rotation (6k miles) since the car will be up in the air.
Upgrde indeed! The fact that they are serviceable has got to make them last a lot longer than the OEM's right? Oh yeah , and while I was on the rock auto site I went ahead and ordered complete UCA's and tie rod's and end links, now I just need to get a set of RCA's so I can install my LS400 BBK to do it all at once.
Old 01-11-12, 11:56 AM
SaiyanGS3
Racer

Originally Posted by socal72
Upgrde indeed! The fact that they are serviceable has got to make them last a lot longer than the OEM's right? Oh yeah , and while I was on the rock auto site I went ahead and ordered complete UCA's and tie rod's and end links, now I just need to get a set of RCA's so I can install my LS400 BBK to do it all at once.
I hope you used the 5%off coupon code to save to change! I'm glad that I was able to help you get quality parts for a cheap price. I never heard anything bad about Moog parts, so I'm confident we will be ok with this purchase. Buying OEM, you are still afraid of them snapping in another 2-5 years (assumption based on threads I've read where the OEM broke again)
Old 01-11-12, 02:50 PM
socal72
Lead Lap

Thought I would post this for any one else wanting to use Rock Auto for a parts source.
5% Discount Code: 7CB65C4932BC
Expires: 3/01/2012
Hope it helps you all out!
Old 01-11-12, 03:06 PM
vwynn
Lexus Fanatic

Received 53 Likes on 36 Posts

the question is why would you need to grease them? is grease escaping somewhere that it shouldnt?

long as the material they use on the LBJ is the same (or better yet BETTER) im game for sure. especially at a cheaper cost. Obviously we will never know

less someone checks
Old 01-11-12, 07:15 PM
SaiyanGS3
Racer

Originally Posted by vwynn
the question is why would you need to grease them? is grease escaping somewhere that it shouldnt?

long as the material they use on the LBJ is the same (or better yet BETTER) im game for sure. especially at a cheaper cost. Obviously we will never know

less someone checks
All ball joints have grease. The oem joints are sealed with grease inside, these have the ability to add new grease every so many miles to keep fresh grease in. This is one advantage over the seal version. As far as durability, Moog makes great products and im sure these are made better than OEM...which is a proven CRAP joint. How can Lexus continue to push a faulty product since 1993?
Old 01-11-12, 07:36 PM
vwynn
Lexus Fanatic

Received 53 Likes on 36 Posts

All ball joints have grease. The oem joints are sealed with grease inside, these have the ability to add new grease every so many miles to keep fresh grease in. This is one advantage over the seal version. As far as durability, Moog makes great products and im sure these are made better than OEM...which is a proven CRAP joint. How can Lexus continue to push a faulty product since 1993?
Yes i know all ball joints are packed in grease. however grease should not be escaping anyways from the boot. If it is then obviously contaminants can come in the same way grease went out.
not saying its bad or anything. i havent read about anyone in the 2GS forum using it for 10+ years yet. but yea.

regarding OEM being bad. think about it again. they arnt really that bad especially since people are getting 90k-100+k on the original LBJ. All suspension components wear out over time. LBJ is one of them. You cant expect your shocks to stay good forever right? or even your tie rods.

that being said. im in the market for a set of LBJ soon so ill be waiting for more MOOG reviews from actual GS members with mots of miles on them.
Old 01-12-12, 08:29 AM
SaiyanGS3
Racer

Originally Posted by vwynn
Yes i know all ball joints are packed in grease. however grease should not be escaping anyways from the boot. If it is then obviously contaminants can come in the same way grease went out.
not saying its bad or anything. i havent read about anyone in the 2GS forum using it for 10+ years yet. but yea.

regarding OEM being bad. think about it again. they arnt really that bad especially since people are getting 90k-100+k on the original LBJ. All suspension components wear out over time. LBJ is one of them. You cant expect your shocks to stay good forever right? or even your tie rods.

that being said. im in the market for a set of LBJ soon so ill be waiting for more MOOG reviews from actual GS members with mots of miles on them.
No, I never said that grease is escaping from the boot. That would present a problem which is true. I'm sorry, IMO the factory ball joints are made poorly/bad. Lexus have been having quality issues with them since 1993, and to be honest, they should've released a recall for the 2nd gen also. 90-100k are a lot of miles, but well made ball joints should be able to do 150k easy. I don't know if the 2GS has been the only car owned, but I owned nothing but Infiniti's before making the jump and the only car I had to replace my ball joints in was my Q45 at 198k when the play became excessive. I guess my gripe with Lexus is that GS owners been worried about LBJ for so long, you would think they would've corrected the problem (change manufacture), especially since the problem started so long ago. I think we can all agree with that.

You are right, suspension parts do wear out over time...that's why I'm replacing both at the same time. For the amount paid for the Moog joints, replacing every 100k isn't that bad. I'll keep you updated with these parts.
Old 01-18-12, 02:19 PM
MrMannNYC
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've been using RockAuto for years. Great site to order parts at a discount price. I just orders the Moog LBJs and rear pads for my GS3 and some lug studs for my boy's Maxima for 115 shipped. Not bad at all. My GS has 121,8xx on it and the previous owner said he had some front end work done but I rather be safe than sorry...
Old 02-18-12, 08:37 PM
92EGSi
Driver School Candidate

What a coincidence that thing happened to me today!

Looks expensive huh? I've never done a ball joint and I've probably got only half the tools.

Lower Ball joint failed today - with pics-mfmr2l.jpg
Old 08-13-12, 03:53 PM
Noelee
Driver School Candidate

Default 2000 GS300 needs both upper control arms and compress rods

I have a 2000 GS300 with 181,000k miles on it ..Question, I need to replace my upper control arms, price about $1500, compression rod, etc, no failure yet.... Is it worth it to fix it with that many miles?
Old 02-17-13, 08:34 AM
Yari617
Driver School Candidate

Exclamation RE:Lower Ball joint failed today - with pics

03 IS300 w/ 109,000 miles-Lower ball joint failed, thankfully I was just pulling out of a driveway and not doing 65 on the highway. Weeks prior leading up to this I heard a dull creaking noise coming from the passenger side. I thought this noise was related the weather. I live in Boston and the snow and temps this winter has not been very kind. I planned to had the ball joints replaced on Tuesday, this happened on Saturday Not pretty Guys....take care of those ball joints!!
Attached Thumbnails Lower Ball joint failed today - with pics-balljoint.jpg   Lower Ball joint failed today - with pics-balljoint2.jpg   Lower Ball joint failed today - with pics-balljoint3.jpg  
Old 03-05-13, 12:29 PM
BayAreaLex
Instructor

Received 55 Likes on 44 Posts

This is scary stuff, especially how common you see it on Lexus cars.

I've played with Mustangs and BMWs for years. Never even once heard of this sort of thing happening on those cars, while here it's an epidemic.

Quick Reply: Lower Ball joint failed today - with pics