Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Lower Ball joint failed today - with pics

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-13, 04:29 AM
SaiyanGS3
Racer

Received 92 Likes on 74 Posts

Originally Posted by BayAreaLex
This is scary stuff, especially how common you see it on Lexus cars.

I've played with Mustangs and BMWs for years. Never even once heard of this sort of thing happening on those cars, while here it's an epidemic.
Very true! I came from Infiniti and I share the same sentiments. But for some reason, people STILL come on here and state that Lexus makes a quality LBJ. BS!
Old 03-06-13, 11:59 AM
PHML
Master Thread Closer!!

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by BayAreaLex
This is scary stuff, especially how common you see it on Lexus cars.

I've played with Mustangs and BMWs for years. Never even once heard of this sort of thing happening on those cars, while here it's an epidemic.
I believe its more prone to happen sooner when we lower are Lexus'. Not to say it won't happen to stock susp...its a maintenance item that needs replacement eventually.

Pete
Old 03-11-13, 07:28 PM
c2gs
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

going to replace my ball joints before putting on coilovers, after how many miles do i replace them again?
Old 03-15-13, 09:20 AM
BayAreaLex
Instructor

Received 55 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by c2gs
going to replace my ball joints before putting on coilovers, after how many miles do i replace them again?
As cheap as they are (<$40 per side on RockAuto), I'll probably replace mine every 50K miles. I would say even if they don't have play, replace them at least every 90-100K.

When I replaced mine at 95K miles or so, they had no play, but they were extremely dry and the stud had nearly no resistance. The replacements had a huge improvement in the feel of the car out on the road. Always do the outer tie rods at the same time.
Old 05-10-13, 11:17 AM
GunFightr
Driver School Candidate

Ok I cant see any of the pictures accept the silver GS. I just got a 2000 GS300 with 257,000 miles. how can I tell If I need them all replaced. Do I need control arms as well or just ball joints?
Old 03-30-14, 01:15 PM
DosyBoy
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by GunFightr
Ok I cant see any of the pictures accept the silver GS. I just got a 2000 GS300 with 257,000 miles. how can I tell If I need them all replaced. Do I need control arms as well or just ball joints?
If nothing was replaced, lol u need EVERYTHING for the front suspension replaced brotha man, when did u get it inspected? I highly doubt those are original parts though..

Last edited by DosyBoy; 03-30-14 at 08:56 PM.
Old 04-22-14, 11:39 AM
xmk2x
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey guys, here is my failure. Going 75 on the freeway. Luckily I was alone and somehow made it to the side safely through the fast and carpool lane.

Edit to add: 1) sorry the pic is huge 2) car is a 98 3) The temps were fluctuating wildly at that time and I literally saw 3 other cars in the next two days with failed lbj's, two Lexus and one Volvo.

Lower Ball joint failed today - with pics-jbh9a6y.jpg

Last edited by xmk2x; 04-22-14 at 11:43 AM.
Old 04-24-14, 11:35 AM
repugnante
Instructor

Received 23 Likes on 16 Posts

^ Yours is the first case I have seen this happen at high speeds. This problem typically occurs at low speeds. Dang, no one is safe with these. Glad you are OK>
Old 04-24-14, 11:56 AM
DosyBoy
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

$100 for a pair of Moog LBJ, smh, I don't understand this... Glad your ok
Old 04-25-14, 05:13 AM
SaiyanGS3
Racer

Received 92 Likes on 74 Posts

Originally Posted by FLOCKOV8DR
$100 for a pair of Moog LBJ, smh, I don't understand this... Glad your ok
Actually $80, but people would rather risk than be assured that they have a new, stable part. $80 insurance vs. ~1k to (fix the fender re-paint it, BUY NEW LBJ'S smh, buy new ABS sensor, labor). It doesn't make any sense at all. If my Moog LBJ's are looking crazy at 150k once I rehab my front and rear suspension, I will replace AGAIN. I bought them around ~90k
Old 11-12-14, 06:32 AM
scheidecke
Driver School Candidate

Default squeeks after replacing ball joints

because you had to disconnect your stut assembly, you may have dislodged the gasket that prevents squeeks at the top of the strut tower.
Old 03-29-15, 06:05 AM
BotTheory
Driver School Candidate

I had the same failure a few weeks ago. Going only 5MPH lucky it happened right after a stop sign so I wasn't going fast at all. The fix was quick. Only 3 or 4 bolts to mess with and a puller saves you time and possible damage to other joints. I didn't have it, just had the rod fork version that slips between the joint and pushes ole as it gets thicker down the fork.

Ball joint separated from socket

Socket where ball joint sits in. Here's a tip: you can push the ball back into this socket using a hydraulic jack. Why do this? Because it gives you move ability to roll your car to the side of the road or load it properly onto a row truck. Do not exceed a slow rolling speed or it will just fall back down.

Worn out ball joint socket

Replacement part. Cost was between 40 and 60 dollars. I broke down across the street from a strip mall which had a pepboys wannabe type shop which just happened to have one last part on stock.
Old 04-24-16, 01:06 PM
JohnCorman
Driver School Candidate

Default Ball joint seperation/failure

Originally Posted by cm0nkey
Ok,

I bought this 1998 GS400 used with 140k miles about 2 months ago.
Before buying I read all the threads on the lower ball joint issues, so I had the dealer put the car on the lift. During my inspection I saw the jointed looked very new, the rubber was solid and shiny looking the suspension all felt very tight.

During the last few weeks I have noticed creaking noises from the Front Drivers side tire area, however it only occurred on days we went from HIGH to LOW temp's quickly - I am in Dallas.

Anyway, today the lower ball joint failed while I was doing about 35mph. It went Bang, then just sounded like I had the brakes on full (Tire was perpendicular) so I changed lanes and stopped as seen below.

Repairs, so far looks like I need:
1. New Ball Joints FR/FL
2. New Front Tires
3. New ABS sensor, you can see the wire is cut
4. Quarter panel work
5. New tire rods
6. Alignment

Updates:

Ball joints repaired by local shop, not sure if they are the same 98 model or the 01+ model.
Car is throwing three codes, probably due to the ABS / Speed sensor that was cut - see this post - https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=340249

Codes:

C1210 - No learned (adaptation) VSC Sensor/36
C0200 - FR Whell Speed Sensor Malfunction (Cald,Cam, RX3, Cel.)
C1223 - Malfunction in ABS Control System (RX3) / 43

More Pics, etc:
http://www.chrisandnat.com/projects/.../BallJoint.htm

I own a 1999 GS300 240000 miles, I experienced this same ball joint failure where the ball separated from the housing and the castle nut cut a groove on the inside of the wheel well. Fortunately I was in my driveway and very low speed. I must say it gave me warning such as popping and weird steering . "Mechanic" said it was tie rod and I replaced it to no avail. The ball joint failed during test drive return. So there is a problem with these.I realize I have some miles but she's been eating up front tires for years. Local shop didn't tell me I needed to rebuild suspension/steering When I asked. They aligned it but still chewed up tires. They are a tire shop so... maybe they like selling tires more than fixing issues related.
Old 10-12-16, 07:36 AM
airahcaz
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by TRD911
I found this on the http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/complaints/results.cfm

I would say that since there is only one complaint there is no way that we would get any kind of recall. I think that everyone that has a bad ball joint removed needs to complain to get Toyota to do anything.

the NHTSB also shows a recall for the 97 GS ball joint due to lubrication. HMM.. Maybe this is our issue.

this is the only complaint on their website for 98.
Complaints Summary

Make: LEXUS
Model: GS

Year: 1998
Complaint Number: 10213228
Summary:
ANOTHER LEXUS GS-300 OWNER FILED THIS REPORT ON MARCH 6, 2007: "WE OWN A 1998 LEXUS, MODEL GS 300. THIS SATURDAY MY WIFE WAS DRIVING THE LEXUS AND THE ENTIRE WHEEL ASSEMBLY CAME OFF THE VEHICLE DUE THE FAILURE OF THE LOWER BALL JOINT. IN REVIEWING RECALL INFORMATION FOR LEXUS\TOYOTA, IT IS VERY APPARENT THERE IS AN ONGOING ISSUE OF QUALITY CONTROL RELATED TO THEIR LOWER BALL JOINTS. FOR OUR SPECIFIC MODEL, THERE WAS A RECALL IN 93, 94, 95, 96 AND 97 SPECIFIC TO THIS PART. GIVEN WE HAVE A 98 AND A RECALL HAS NOT BEEN ISSUED (YET), THE LEXUS DEALERSHIP REFUSED TO PROVIDE US WITH ANY ACCOMMODATION TOWARDS FIXING THE FAILED PART, OR THE RESULTING BODY DAMAGE RELATED TO THE VEHICLE TRAVELING DOWN THE ROAD ON ONLY THREE WHEEL. FORTUNATELY, WE WERE NOT TRAVELING ON THE HIGHWAY, BUT A SIDE STREET WHEN THIS INCIDENT OCCURRED. BUT MOREOVER, REGARDLESS OF OUR FINANCIAL LOSS, IN MY OPINION, THIS IS A PUBLIC SAFETY CONCERN..." WE EXPERIENCED A SIMILAR FAILURE WHEREIN THE LOWER DRIVER'S SIDE BALL JOINT FAILED WHILE BACKING OUT OF OUR DRIVEWAY. PRIOR TO THIS EVENT THE WHOLE FRONT SUSPENSION HAS BEEN MAKING A "CREAKING" NOISE DURING SLOW DRIVING WHILE TURNING. *TR

BP
anyone know if anything came of this complaint?
Old 04-05-18, 02:36 AM
samsonn25
Intermediate

Received 47 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by socal72
+1 I would really like to see some info supporting that theory, so I know what bj's to buy. Mine are definitely needing to be changed. Thanks in advance to whoever can provide the supporting info.
Toyota/Lexus suspensions do suck.

96 Camry shocks done at 80k
92 es300 whole suspension shot at 100k
00 es300 suspension shot at 95k, struts, sway bar end links, lower ball joints , outer tie rod ends
07 gs450h shot at 100k struts, lower balll joints sway bar end links
12 rx450h suspension shot at 80k, struts, end links.

Last edited by samsonn25; 04-05-18 at 02:40 AM.

Quick Reply: Lower Ball joint failed today - with pics