Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Hmmm, Cutting bump stops for Tanabe DF210s?

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-08, 10:41 PM
GS FONZy
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by 4play4dr
i got a gs3 and i bought the gs3 df's..are teh gs4 df's stiffer?
yes, there a stiffer rate and about 1/4 of an inch lower.

As for the person that cut the bump stop and car got lower, take your car in to get checked. You need new struts and possible springs too. There is no reason why your top hat should be sitting on the bump stop.
Old 03-12-08, 11:01 PM
4play4dr
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

haha..that would be me too..i do need new struts..i already kno that..but ima run these down cuz im lookin into a new set up..my struts arent totally gone yet..theres still some life..give or take a couple months..but the gs400 sits 1/4" lower all around? damn i shouldve gotten those
Old 03-13-08, 12:50 AM
tnbigdawg
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by GS FONZy
yes, there a stiffer rate and about 1/4 of an inch lower.

As for the person that cut the bump stop and car got lower, take your car in to get checked. You need new struts and possible springs too. There is no reason why your top hat should be sitting on the bump stop.
I do agree that the top hat shouldn't be sitting on the bump stop. However, I don't see how bad struts will affect ride hight (as long as the rod piston can still compress/rebound), bad springs maybe but not struts. Even then, the DFs are cold wound coils and will virtually never sag (that is according to most manufacturers of springs that use cold would technology)?

4play4dr, are you sure your car got lower after you cut your bump stops? Did you cut the bump stops in all 4 struts? The front got lower, or the back did, or both?
Old 03-13-08, 12:58 AM
4play4dr
Lexus Champion

i only cut the fronts actually..so the front "looks" like it got bout 1/2" lower..the shock top hat shouldnt be sitting on the bump stop cuz it should be on the spring..but what if you have cut springs :x? which in turn would make the sitting spot a little lower..which might make it sit on the bump stop
Old 03-13-08, 03:16 PM
GS FONZy
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by tnbigdawg
I do agree that the top hat shouldn't be sitting on the bump stop. However, I don't see how bad struts will affect ride hight (as long as the rod piston can still compress/rebound), bad springs maybe but not struts. Even then, the DFs are cold wound coils and will virtually never sag (that is according to most manufacturers of springs that use cold would technology)?
I think if you put two identical car with same suspention set up, one of them has blown struts, I am willing to bet that it will sag a bit, at least 1/8 to 1/4 inch. However; we are talking about bottoming out to where the strut hits the stop bump. A bad strut could be the cause of that.

i only cut the fronts actually..so the front "looks" like it got bout 1/2" lower..the shock top hat shouldnt be sitting on the bump stop cuz it should be on the spring..but what if you have cut springs :x? which in turn would make the sitting spot a little lower..which might make it sit on the bump stop
Cutting springs is a whole other topic that does not apply to what we are talking about here If your bump stop is touching the top hat of the strut, you have an unfunctional strut, pretty much worthless
Old 03-13-08, 04:19 PM
4play4dr
Lexus Champion

haha..yea..ima jus get myself some coilovers..no need to worry bout this kinda stuff
Old 03-13-08, 07:39 PM
tnbigdawg
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

haha..yea..ima jus get myself some coilovers..no need to worry bout this kinda stuff
Haha, there we go! I like the drop of DFs on the GS4, and it's not so bad on GS3...so no coilovers for me (I don't need the adjustments)