Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Lower Control Arm DIY

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-10, 01:36 PM
Asha'man
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

^^^This is correct. However, unless the car is on a lift, it's damn near impossible to get to the bolts to tighten them when the wheel is on and the car is sitting on the ground. You can simulate a corner load by putting a jackstand under the control arm and lowering the car onto it. This compresses that corner with most of the car's weight and allows you to tighten the bolts safely.
Old 03-20-10, 01:50 PM
good2go
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Asha'man
^^^This is correct. However, unless the car is on a lift, it's damn near impossible to get to the bolts to tighten them when the wheel is on and the car is sitting on the ground. You can simulate a corner load by putting a jackstand under the control arm and lowering the car onto it. This compresses that corner with most of the car's weight and allows you to tighten the bolts safely.
YEP, this was one of those jobs that made me wish I had an old school pit to drive over. I was able to get enough clearance to get underneath it though with a ramp under each wheel along with the extra wood blocks between the ramp and the tires.
Old 11-25-10, 10:11 AM
sc3tech
Driver

great write up.. im going to be doing this one next
Old 07-31-11, 08:47 AM
TechGreek
Lexus Test Driver

THE RUBBER STOPPER NEEDS TO BE IN THE BRACKET FOR LCA! (48657-24020)

This is what takes up the gap - the previous owner of my car had them on the outside of the bracket, not on the inside with the LCA so I didn't reuse them - now I'm having to put them back in.

The service manual doesn't specify this, I wonder how many people have done this wrong - dealerships included!

Last edited by TechGreek; 07-31-11 at 08:51 AM.
Old 07-31-11, 12:24 PM
djl
Intermediate

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

What exactly is the purpose of the rubber stopper? Is it only 1 per side?

Thanks.
Old 07-31-11, 01:12 PM
BigBang
Lead Lap

The lower control arm is easy to take off.. the bushings are a bit more challenging.
Old 07-31-11, 01:12 PM
TechGreek
Lexus Test Driver

It keeps your control arms from moving whenever you apply the brakes it seems.

I've noticed that the side I did, no longer has a clunk from going from reverse to drive - now I need to do the other side.
Old 08-01-11, 06:25 AM
Luv2xl
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by TechGreek
THE RUBBER STOPPER NEEDS TO BE IN THE BRACKET FOR LCA! (48657-24020)

This is what takes up the gap - the previous owner of my car had them on the outside of the bracket, not on the inside with the LCA so I didn't reuse them - now I'm having to put them back in.

The service manual doesn't specify this, I wonder how many people have done this wrong - dealerships included!

I just knew mine didn't look right and I see yours didn't either. Glad we touched on this subject.

From a diagram I have seen, it appears its only one stopper per LCA. Check out this diagram...

http://www.lexuspartsnow.com/compone...8-02-1640.html
Old 11-03-11, 12:22 AM
xspsi6
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I went to the dealer and they say no part # exists for this piece of rubber and the only way to get it is to buy a new lca however I know for a fact that they do not come with new lca's so would anybody happen to have the actual part # for this?
Old 11-03-11, 06:04 AM
TechGreek
Lexus Test Driver

I would have called the guy a lazy moron who obviously is incompetent with the computer.

My parts manager here was able to get it in ten seconds last time. Let me know if you haven't found it by the end of the day and I'll shoot him a text for the PN.
Old 11-03-11, 09:40 AM
xspsi6
Lexus Champion

Yea that is how I feel about him and this would not be the 1st time he has pulled this crap but I have no way of proving him wrong without the pn

He just does not wan't to deal with such a small cheap part and this is the only dealer in the area.
The don't want my business on my 13 year old car.
Old 11-05-11, 03:18 PM
durtysc300
Lexus Test Driver

I'm just going to replace both my lca's with same year supra ones.. I don't wanna have to deal with the hassles haha.
Old 01-17-12, 11:03 PM
durtysc300
Lexus Test Driver

Just a heads up, went to tackle this yesterday (finally) and seeing as how my car spent it's entire life in the salt infested rusty roads of Nebraska, my bolts were completely rusted or seized to the inner sleeve..just a heads up to anyone else doing this..beware..we are going to have to cut mine out and use new bolts.
Old 01-24-12, 05:49 PM
WadeLovell
Lead Lap

Have you considered burning out the bushings with a propane torch once you cut off the head of the bolt (or cut the nut)? When you talk about cutting yours, you are referring to the bolts, not the LCAs, right?
Old 01-24-12, 05:50 PM
WadeLovell
Lead Lap

BTW, it is a nice write up. I hope the Editors will consolidate it and make a sticky.

Quick Reply: Lower Control Arm DIY