Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Cant Decide, Hypermax III's VS JIC FLA-FAS

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-08, 11:23 PM
evileagle
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Cant Decide, Hypermax III's VS JIC FLA-FAS

Im stumped between which coilovers to get. The HKS is a Mono-tube design while the JIC's are a twintube design. From what Ive researched, the monotube designs are superior in almost every aspect of performance, stability, comfortness, and durability. The JIC's can be had for 1350 shipped while the HKS's can be had for 1530 shipped via the groupby. Im not looking for any other setup, so please tell me which one you would take of the two and why.

Ive heard people say that the HKS's are "too soft" for a heavy vehicle like this, but who knows if they knew what they were talking about.

This car is a daily driver and will see ocassional canyon runs and very ocassional track time. Comfortness is a big plus and LA streets arent exactly smooth.

All input greatly appreciated .
Old 03-10-08, 12:12 PM
SC30096
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

TAR or A2's for the win monotube
Old 03-10-08, 08:42 PM
dejacky
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by evileagle
This car is a daily driver and will see ocassional canyon runs and very ocassional track time. Comfortness is a big plus and LA streets arent exactly smooth.
All input greatly appreciated .
You don't need coilovers if you're not tracking your car. I think a perfect setup for you is Bilstein HD shocks (for the Supra TT cars) paired with oem Toyota Supra TT springs. Use the taller c-clip groove on the rear shocks and lower c-clip groove on the front shocks. You'll have a comfortable ride that handles a lot better than stock and you'll pull more G forces before breaking traction.

Last edited by dejacky; 03-10-08 at 08:46 PM.
Old 03-10-08, 08:52 PM
BLK13X
Mortgage Slave

Received 20 Likes on 12 Posts

I know the FLT-TAR are monotube, but I think that the spring rates are stiffer (stated on the JIC Japanese website).

If money permits I want to go with Hipermax III.
Old 03-11-08, 08:00 PM
5sp_jzz30
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

if you don't track the car go with Bilstein/Hypercoil combo. if you will track it go with stance. i know you said not to mention other brands but i would still do it. they are cheaper and a much better bang for the buck. handle very well for street and track. they are firm but nothing like Zeal.
i have had experience with HKS hypermax and hypermax II on 240's and they seem to blow out very easily compared to other brands. if the roads around you are good then you should be fine. if the roads suck i wouldn't consider HKS for a daily driver.

Never had experience with JIC so i can't comment. Ask Scott he has them.
Old 03-11-08, 09:38 PM
gadgetSC
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

The Hypemax III's get my vote. I have run a set of Hypermax II's on both my SC's, still running them on my 00 SC. I have had them for about 5 years with 0 problems.
If you can afford them, get them.

gadgetSC
Old 03-11-08, 10:33 PM
evileagle
Lexus Test Driver

thanks for all the input guys...im still debating. Now the only thing is i was offered $1650 for a new set of JIC TAR's as if i didnt have enough options as is......decisions decisions......
Old 03-13-08, 10:44 AM
soarer479
Lexus Test Driver

JIC's are absolutely terrible if you have ever owned a set then owned any other coilover you would know but i would never buy another set of JIC's ever ever evar! again imo they set the car too low and you cant get them back even close to stock ride height the build of them is just cheap and they ride and handle like absolute ****** even trying to get them tuned in they were terrible a close buddy of mine didnt believe me and bought a set for his supra and returned them in the same week

just my opinion the HKS coilovers are much better
Old 03-14-08, 09:47 AM
camberSC
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by 5sp_jzz30
if you don't track the car go with Bilstein/Hypercoil combo. if you will track it go with stance. i know you said not to mention other brands but i would still do it. they are cheaper and a much better bang for the buck. handle very well for street and track. they are firm but nothing like Zeal.
i have had experience with HKS hypermax and hypermax II on 240's and they seem to blow out very easily compared to other brands. if the roads around you are good then you should be fine. if the roads suck i wouldn't consider HKS for a daily driver.

Never had experience with JIC so i can't comment. Ask Scott he has them.
Followed your advice from reading on different threads, and yes I love STANCE!!! Thank you!

I had JICs on my old solara before and they were also Stiff (Kidney Bruising Stiff)....
Old 03-17-08, 09:51 AM
evileagle
Lexus Test Driver

dang....whats with these negative reviews on JIC's????
Old 03-17-08, 09:56 AM
Kohinoor
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

jic's suck. spend the extra money and get the hks!
Old 05-08-09, 05:03 PM
ARMANDITO
Rookie

I have heard a lot of good thing about Jic, why so much bad about them now? well I gues because this was in 2003 an we are in 2009? the new jic seem to be a lot better than what they were back in 2003?
Old 05-15-09, 01:37 PM
MrYoshi
Pole Position

I have HKS Hipermax III on my Sc right now, i love 'em a lot. The spring rates are perfect for all kind of driving w/ 36 ways adjustable dampening. I've been through a lot of coilovers and i have to say HKS is awesome because of their monotube design.
Old 05-15-09, 02:32 PM
QwkSC
Instructor

I don't understand why no one ever considers the gixxer drew Supra coilovers.

They are cheap at 1000$.
I believe that you can have blistien custom valve your shocks for your SC
And you have the ability to choose your spring rates.
Old 05-18-09, 07:01 PM
SC300_NW
Rookie

I installed my Hipermax 3's on saturday. On preset settings for the supra the car rides pretty close to stock. Close enough that my GF didn't even notice that I changed the suspension completely, even on a 50 mile round trip we took sunday night. The build quality on these are amazing. Everyone that I've known that has had JIC's has complained about them, quality, stiction, ect... I can't testify first hand though.

Quick Reply: Cant Decide, Hypermax III's VS JIC FLA-FAS