Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Going to order my suspension tomorrow... narrowed down to two

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-08, 08:22 PM
m32
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 4ntvings
left-driver
right-passenger

technically i dont think it should matter in general. but i think hks mfr'd the struts specifically for each side to accommodate attaching one of the lines to the struts or something (if i recall correctly).

btw, post pics after installed! if i'm correct, default settings should drop you to about 2 fingers on all 4 GL!

Man...ran into another big problem. This was the one thing I feared the most

The lower bolt in the front strut isn't budging. This exact thing happened to my integra and I ended up breaking the bolt off. I had to spend another 4 hours to saw it off... I do NOT want to go through that again. Any one have any suggestions? I drenched it with WD40 and going to let it sit overnight. My compressor didn't even budge it. Any ideas/suggestions would be greatly appreciated right about now

Edwin
Old 03-21-08, 08:48 PM
4ntvings
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

get a breaker bar.
if you're using a 2 ton jack, the top part of the handle should come off (w/1 screw or few depending on brand of jack). that handle from the jack, should fit over your large socket to break that bolt. also, there might be a lot of tension on there...try using the oem jack to 'lift' it up or down while breaking the bolt. GL!
Old 03-21-08, 09:01 PM
m32
Intermediate

get a breaker bar.
if you're using a 2 ton jack, the top part of the handle should come off (w/1 screw or few depending on brand of jack). that handle from the jack, should fit over your large socket to break that bolt. also, there might be a lot of tension on there...try using the oem jack to 'lift' it up or down while breaking the bolt. GL!
Thanks for the help. I actually did use the top half handle of my Craftsman jack as leverage and it still didn't budge. I did the exact thing on my teg and it ripped off the bolt. I am thinkng of going to Sears and getting a 300lb cordless impact to rip it off. Yout hink that'll work?

Edwin
Old 03-21-08, 09:07 PM
4ntvings
Lexus Fanatic

thats strange it still didnt break... i had an integ and my friend always used the breaker on all my stubborn bolts (and there were quite a few on a '91 in 1996) LOL
i never do my own suspension work, but my mechanic used the impact on all my stuff. worth a try GL!

oh ya, i dont think the wd40 will do much.
Old 03-21-08, 11:14 PM
Solo_D33A
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

try a product called "Liquid Wrench" should be better than WD40, I've also broke tons of bolts on my last DSM, only that it's small bolts....
Did change a Suspension with a friend's 00+ Civic, it's easy, but still got more torque than the engine.
Old 03-22-08, 10:26 PM
m32
Intermediate

Ok...more bad news. I bought some liquid wrench and got a 240ft/lb impact...didn't even budge it. I bought a 300ft/lb cordless impact but was hoping the 240 would work so I can return the 300ft/lb. I"M not sure what to do next... any suggestions? I was sure the 240lb impact would work

Edwin
Old 03-23-08, 10:30 AM
4ntvings
Lexus Fanatic

take it to a mechanic.
i'm too old and skinny to deal w/these issues. better for me to pay someone to deal with it.
Old 03-23-08, 10:44 AM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 79 Likes on 61 Posts

which 300ft/lb gun did you buy? I've been able to take out the lower shock bolts with no problem using my cordless impact gun. If I can't take it out, I'll use a breaker bar. If that still doesn't work, I have a buddy with a 1000ft/lb air gun that doesn't seem to care how stuck the bolts are
Old 03-24-08, 07:13 AM
m32
Intermediate

take it to a mechanic.
i'm too old and skinny to deal w/these issues. better for me to pay someone to deal with it.
Good point... but for me, it's a matter of working on my own stuff b/c I hate paying a shop $90/hr to do stuff for me that I can do.

Btw, I was able to finally break off the two bolts. I applied about 400ft lbs to finally break it off. The two fronts are in. Will get the two rears tonight/tomorrow

Originally Posted by GSteg
which 300ft/lb gun did you buy? I've been able to take out the lower shock bolts with no problem using my cordless impact gun. If I can't take it out, I'll use a breaker bar. If that still doesn't work, I have a buddy with a 1000ft/lb air gun that doesn't seem to care how stuck the bolts are
I bought the Dewalt cordless 18v for a hair under $300. I'm going to return it since I used a 4 ft breaker bar and practically leaned my whole weight on them to break it off. Crazy...

Edwin
Old 03-24-08, 09:16 AM
Tank
Racer

Received 66 Likes on 57 Posts

Any one know if HKS has the same type lifetime warranty that TEIN does?
Old 03-24-08, 09:22 AM
4ntvings
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by m32
Btw, I was able to finally break off the two bolts. I applied about 400ft lbs to finally break it off. The two fronts are in. Will get the two rears tonight/tomorrow
glad to hear they finally broke! now hurry up and get the rears in and take some pix!

Originally Posted by eskaeone
Any one know if HKS has the same type lifetime warranty that TEIN does?
i think hks is 1 yr...i didnt know tein carried a lifetime
Old 03-24-08, 02:38 PM
ZippyGuy
Lexus Test Driver

Tein offers a one year. Bilstein PS9 (PSS) offers lifetime.
Old 03-26-08, 06:03 AM
m32
Intermediate

UPDATE: I finished installing the RS' last night after work. The rears were pretty easy. It took me about 2 hours for both sides (taking my time/working in a cramped garage). I have to say that I am SO glad I have air tools. It just makes the job so much easier.

My first impressions are the car feels much more stable. Before these, I had a espelir/L-tuned shock combo. The drop was nice but the ride seemed floaty. I did have one blown shock so that might have contributed to that feel but now, the car seems much more tighter. It reminds me of my e46 m3 (stock).

The ride is stiffer but that is expected if the car is tighter/stable. The drop isn't as low as my previous set up but I'm going to give it a week or two to settle, then I'm going to drop it more. I'll post pics this weekend. Thanks to everyone for their help/guidance

Edwin
Old 03-26-08, 08:38 AM
4ntvings
Lexus Fanatic

good deal Edwin!
it'll settle a bit. but then you can play with it

espelirs ride more like oem; almost like night/day when compared to the RS