Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.
View Poll Results: Shall i swap to coiloveres or stick to my springs?
coilovers are more comfortable than those Eibachs.
76.19%
keep the springs, or switch back to OEM setup.
23.81%
Voters: 21. You may not vote on this poll

Shall I swap from Eibach springs to coilovers?

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-08, 12:16 AM
kattanh3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Shall I swap from Eibach springs to coilovers?

Hi CL,

I have Eibachs. Should i consider coilovers? will they improve the ride quality? if anybody did this swap please leave your input and recommendation. My Eibachs Pro Kit are somewhat noisy (loud short squeaks @ the rear passenger side). Here are my priorities:
  1. I need the drop one way or another to accent the wheels.
  2. I would like a silent ride (eliminating the springs squeaks).
  3. A little more drop at the front is welcome (could be achieved with the IS250 Eibach front springs - i have the IS350 Eibach springs on).
Please vote if you have any experience - NO OPINIONS PLZ.

-Hamza

Last edited by kattanh3; 03-29-08 at 10:42 PM.
Old 03-16-08, 05:55 AM
montgb
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I switched from Eibachs to coilovers - the ability to adjust ride height and dampening ("stiffness") was the main reason. There was nothing wrong with my Eibachs - the drop was good, ride comfort was identical to stock (IMO), and I didn't have any squeaks. With coils, however, its nice to be able to adjust the settings until they're exactly right - you have a lot more control over the behavior of your car.
Old 03-19-08, 02:51 AM
iialcii
Lexus Champion

Intresting I too would like to know, Im currently on is250 springs, but would like to go lower, not to thread jack you.
Old 03-29-08, 10:46 PM
kattanh3
Lexus Test Driver

After doing a bit more research it seams that springs will give me a smoother ride than coilovers. I recall someone using sleeves to reduce springs noise. Any one knows where I can get the Tein (or similar) sleeves from?
Old 03-30-08, 12:02 AM
DaWhole9
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by kattanh3
After doing a bit more research it seams that springs will give me a smoother ride than coilovers. I recall someone using sleeves to reduce springs noise. Any one knows where I can get the Tein (or similar) sleeves from?
I think you have that backwards....Tein CS coilovers will be MUCH smoother and better riding than ANY spring only....But the amount of smoothness depends on the setup...spring rate, dapming settings, etc...for example...Tein SS, may be comparable to Eibachs, CS, are desiged for more comfort so you can set them to be smoother, while sacrificing some handling that the SS will have...but again, both would be better than just springs.
Old 03-30-08, 12:09 AM
sincityIS
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I would have to say my car seems to handle and ride better than OEM with the Tein CS.
Old 03-30-08, 03:01 AM
kattanh3
Lexus Test Driver

thanks guys, my worry is that the ride was excellent on the OEM 17"s, but not so much on the 19"s. What does the guys with 19"-20" think?

plus i am thinking the sleeves shouldn't be expensive, so i'd like to give that a try first.
Old 03-30-08, 04:51 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

thanks guys, my worry is that the ride was excellent on the OEM 17"s, but not so much on the 19"s. What does the guys with 19"-20" think?

plus i am thinking the sleeves shouldn't be expensive, so i'd like to give that a try first.

Can't answer your spring questions but I notice the ride from 17" tires was so much better than the 18" tires.Was it worth the change to 18s to me?I don't know.
Most of the time there tradeoffs.Better handling and looks = crappy ride.
I can only imagine with 19" and 20" that if you run over a paper cup,your head will hit the headliner.

Is Tein CS coilovers are ever available for an AWD,I'll buy them in a heartbeat.
Old 03-30-08, 07:55 AM
passnu2
Lexus Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I am very happy with the ride of the Tein S springs now having the 19" rims on. The only issue i see with the car, i am picky, is the front sits a little higher then the rear, and the car does sit lower on the driver side (US Spec) then the passenger side. I just put my rims on and have ever so slight rub only on the rear driver side over decent dips and bumps. I think the biggest benefit to the coilovers is you can make your ride sit like you want to! Sounds like you would be happy the the Tein CS. I hate to spend more money and get rid of springs i just got but i just may end up with the Tein SS when $$ allows.

Going from 17" winter rims/tires...back to the OEM 18" and now to the 19" i like the ride. I guess its all about what you want and how your roads are. Running a 20" rim I think the streets MUST be awesome in your area.
Old 03-31-08, 02:52 PM
ISF_GG
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Let's not forget another prime reason to get coilovers, you can actually lower the car evenly, so the drivers side isn't .5"+ lower, as is the case with our cars stock springs, or on all aftermarket springs like Eibach etc.
Old 04-01-08, 12:11 AM
kattanh3
Lexus Test Driver

still can't find them sleeves
Old 04-07-08, 03:52 PM
Giggity
Pole Position

still can't find them sleeves
Nobody makes a sleeve kit for the 2IS yet, when and if anyone ever does they probably will not give you the smooth comfortable ride you are looking for.
My experience with ground control and skunk 2 sleeve kits on Koni, bilstein, and tokico struts; they worked well for autocross and track days, terrible for day to day driving, way too stiff.

Note- i just noticed in your sig that you have hotchkis sway bars... When was the last time you greased the busings? On just about every car I ever owned with suspension mods, the only time I got any suspension squeaks was when the sway bar bushings went dry.

Last edited by Giggity; 04-07-08 at 03:57 PM.