Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Can the SC be a great handling car?

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-08, 10:32 AM
SC30096
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

from stock to my JIC coils handling has increased dramtically. once I get off stock rims body roll should be minimal. and when the time comes with sway bars I cant even imagine how good the handling will be.
Old 03-25-08, 10:36 AM
shern
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

There is soooooo much more to handling than FWD vs. RWD.

When you factor in the heft of the SC and its high center of gravity, it can be made to handle well up to a certain limit. You can't get away from physics.

There is a reason nobody runs time attack in supras and SCs. However, look at how well the FWD cars do!
Old 03-25-08, 10:58 AM
SC400Dude
Lexus Champion

I do remember a LONG time ago, Dan Paramore of the late DPR (Yeah, that's old school - remember them?) had a bone stock 95 SC300 5-Speed that he auto-x'd. He entered the local events in the "Stock Street Class" and he placed 1st several times. I would think his times would have been better if he had Suspension mods. It was cool to see him tear it up...

But like Shern said, the SC is heavy. Having so much weight does effect how the car "feels".

In the end, it's a matter of preference and what your intentions are with that particular vehicle.

I have no complaints with my SC because it handles great imo~!
Old 03-25-08, 06:42 PM
over40driv
Lexus Champion

Let us not forget to keep coming up with new weight loss ideas. FTWin.
Old 03-25-08, 06:56 PM
aka paco
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

anyone on here arguing the SC handles better because it's RWD must know very little on the subject.

i love my sc it's comfy, rides better then my integra and civic could ever dream of. and soon it'll be fairly qwk, but my integra would have embarassed my SC in the handling department.

here's my buddy's civic with PIC select coilovers and lca's in action

i hate when non honda people bash them, when there only expirence if any is with something like a stock DX civic or automatic accord.
Old 03-26-08, 01:49 PM
Checkk
Driver

I use to have an Integra. Basic Modified Suspension, Coilovers, Type R sway Bar, Neuspeed Front & rear Strut Bars. My Integra would of murder my SC.

But yes there are RWD cars that handles alot better then a FWD but the SC isn't one of them. Yes we love are SCs but we all know that Stock for Stock the SC is heavy, slightly underpowered, with bad handling.

Last edited by Checkk; 03-26-08 at 01:55 PM.
Old 03-27-08, 10:47 PM
fwynn
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by aka paco
anyone on here arguing the SC handles better because it's RWD must know very little on the subject.

i love my sc it's comfy, rides better then my integra and civic could ever dream of. and soon it'll be fairly qwk, but my integra would have embarassed my SC in the handling department.

here's my buddy's civic with PIC select coilovers and lca's in action

i hate when non honda people bash them, when there only expirence if any is with something like a stock DX civic or automatic accord.
yea i know what you mean
i have a 1992 sc and also a 1999 honda prelude..

its more on the its really 50% driver and 50% car.. if u suck at driving then it you lose..

its a shame that the you guys bash on hondas... just because their FWD.. there ARE some nice hondas out there.. soo seriously stop the bashing.. u can bash on all the ricers but keep it cool on the cleaner Hondas...

Originally Posted by 97-SC300
fwd sucks....i cant believe you think a honda handles better then a rwd car.... seriously. torque steer FTL.

WTF are you even talking about... your making a vague comment.. HONDA VS RWD cars.. wtf.. seriously?

FWD sucks? wtf.. do you RACE every day? i mean.. whats a daily driver meant for? daily driving.. u dont take every turn at like 30+.. soo seriously stop the bashing...

FWD do have understeer.. but put some coils, strut bars, and a rear sway bar, most of the understeer will be loss..
Old 03-27-08, 11:27 PM
Kaydee
Hacked CL to become a Mod

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LmIFKhLRmxI

what's keeping up with that rwd?
honda or FWD gets a lot of bad rep only because so many ricers ricing out the car with ugly bodykits and neon underglow...i mean honda is not stupid, there is a reason why they keep making FWDs
Old 03-28-08, 02:31 AM
aznxenon
Lexus Test Driver

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

I had an Integra so I'm gonna bash on Hondas. Doesn't matter how good it handles, it's gonna get jacked.

But in the end...my Integ had coils and stuff, SC4 has nothing buy poly sway bushings. I think the SC4 would eventually be better than the teg in terms of handling after enough is toss on it. Plus, I don't need to worry about theft and that is FTW 0=)
Old 03-28-08, 08:42 AM
t70 supra
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

never ownd a hoonda my first car was a 89 supra and i sucked a auto x but was good at hi-way driving
Old 03-28-08, 09:00 AM
StiCk3
Lexus Champion

i considered buying a honda back before i had the SC. I wish a had the honda in some ways, but in the end i couldn't fit in it worth crap (6'4" going on 6' 5")...so i got the SC instead (and i still can't fit right lol).

I feel that the SC has some potential, but not a whole lot. i think the key to giving it great handling is its weight. The SC is really heavy and is hard to shave some pounds without breaking the bank. The rest of it is in the suspension and tuning it to suit your needs.

Any car can handle great with the right modifications and tuning to the suspension and weight distribution. FWD, RWD, or AWD, it doesnt matter just so long as its tuned and modified properly to counteract its weaknesses. Sure, FWD has torque steer while the SC has oversteer...but which is more fun? I'm with the oversteer!!
Old 03-28-08, 07:17 PM
sc250tt
Lexus Champion

My 95 civic coupe is one of the best handling cars ive ever owned ,it might be a front wheel drive but was easy to break the rear loose and stop understeer.The sc is much more heavier and is a complete different class with a civic so obvioulsy it will be easier to drive rather than a sc .

Once you know how to drive the sc thats when you realize the limits of this beast. Only then you realize why this tank is a blast to drive .I love pointing the front of my sc where i want to go feeling the 285's in the rear taking over after 2500 rpm's .This is one car i will always have in my garage .
Old 04-06-08, 09:07 AM
evileagle
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

in all honest tho.....RWD>FWD. No one car argue otherwise. Just take a look at what honda can do with they use RWD, like in the S2000; you get a superior handeling car. Honda makes great cars, its just too bad that 90% of them are FWD intended for more fuel economy/cost effective/easier maintainable solutions.

I dont hate FWD, I actually have a 370hp turbo crx. But, when everything is said and done, that car, as light as it is, is not meant for the twisties. I go through turns on my bone stock SC at higher speeds then the crx and I feel much more comfortable and in control. Theres just this overall feeling you get when your being pushed rather than pulled. Just think about it: The front tires are doing the turning AND the accelerating AND braking. Thats alot of things to be doing at one time especially during spirited driving. RWD has the luxury of distributing one of those components to the rear wheels offering a more balanced vehicle.

my 2 cents
Old 04-06-08, 09:16 AM
Bean
Lexus Fanatic

It can be done pretty easily. It takes good springs/shocks combo or coilovers plus swaybar and strut bar upgrades. Once thats done, you need some good rubber, 245 or 255 in the front and 275 or 285s in the rear. Weight reduction mods would be a plus too. Easy weightloss can come from swapping the seats.

The car won't be as responsive as a 2500lb Nissan or Honda, but thats not the only thing that makes a car handle well. The SC done correctly will still have great steering feel and with the right setup can have incredible grip. Even mine with 275s in the back and Tien springs and stock TTSupra suspension blows me away at how much grip it has.

A lot of people mistakenly judge a cars handling capability with its steering feel or the tossability of it. Thats fine if thats all they want, but handling comes down to being fastest around a track; the SC is too heavy to ever feel like a 240sx, but it can outhandle one just fine with the right suspension mods.

Last edited by Bean; 04-06-08 at 09:21 AM.
Old 04-08-08, 12:43 PM
5sp_jzz30
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

a civic or a crx with over 250hp is an overkill and will not be fun to drive in the twisties. in a straight line its a different story.

you feel more comfortable around turns in the sc then in the crx because once you start coming into the turn you have to let off due to understeer steer and then cant get back on it right away because the power is too much for the weight of the car and it just understeers and burns rubber.
your sc might seem to handle better because its actually underpowered and you can be more "stone-age" with it and just floor the accelerator. with the crx its a lot more work.

anyways just get AWD and forget about all this JK

Quick Reply: Can the SC be a great handling car?