Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Can the SC be a great handling car?

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-08, 05:57 PM
gabegtz84
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Lexus FTW, because your honda or acura would be stolen before race day! Forget who finishes first, how bout who makes it to the track.

...I sleep at night, knowing no ricer ghetto punk wants to steal my 93 SC.

As far as performance goes, to my understanding the Japanese have Soarers held in a higher regard when it comes to handling. The JDM Soarers, have all the cool suspension parts we don't have. And because there roads are a billion x better they come stock nice and low. Us USDM folk, got 15inch rims on a high crappy stock suspension. My Sc with supra suspension and eibach springs feels great, and i imagine thats what the JDM version must feel like.

And as far as the best platform for a car, i'd have to give it a ultra light miata/240sx/rx-7/s2000/Ae86/Elise or a AWD Evo/Subie.

A Civic vs an equal weight miata... i give it to the miata.

And Subies are pretty awesome, you always see the tuned ones smoking everything on Gods green earth.
Old 04-08-08, 07:03 PM
CLNSC3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

SCs can handle great with some well thought out suspension/wheel and tires/braking mods, and of course a GOOD driver!
Old 04-08-08, 07:58 PM
clevercat
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Kaydee
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LmIFKhLRmxI

what's keeping up with that rwd?
honda or FWD gets a lot of bad rep only because so many ricers ricing out the car with ugly bodykits and neon underglow...i mean honda is not stupid, there is a reason why they keep making FWDs
The #1 reason for making FWD cars is the cost.
One simple drop in package.
FWD wheel cars are much cheaper to build than the rear and all wheel drive cars.

RWD is preferred among pure drivers because you can get more road feed back through steering. FWD gets really busy steering and pulling at same time. You do not see 300+ HP FWD car from factory. AWD is much faster but it feels weird going into corner (understeer) but coming out faster. It is easier to drive AWD.

I just done a full up suspension mod to my SC including all bushing. It felt like a big boat but it feels reallly tight now. We have a winery drive event coming up from my Z club within few weeks so I will find out how good my SC handles comparing it to my Z32 TT with the full suspension. Both cars have same type of suspension set up, brakes, good HP & TQ ratio and about same weight.

I think this is much better measurement than compairing to Honda.
Old 04-10-08, 08:20 AM
5sp_jzz30
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

awd cars are not easier to drive unless you are talking about daily driving in the rain or snow. when it comes to racing or tracking a car awd is completely different then rwd.

i had a privilege to track my friends STI will ALL suspension work done and 340awhp. lets put it this way...it took me two laps to "get" what the car was trying to do. on corner entry the car understeers...a lot. that shouldnt scare you though. what you do is keep staying on the gas and the car will grip, power through it, and coming out of the turn will be neutral or if youre really crazy it will oversteer a bit.

miata are very snappy due to very short wheel base. you have to very quick to handle one.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jDpha...eature=related

watch the video. rob, the miata guy, is very good. he won a formula drift license last season in nevada. got first place.
Old 04-14-08, 04:11 PM
new-guy
Driver School Candidate

what you have to remember is that with the sc we're carrying alot of weight in the corners. there is also alignment to remember. The proper alignment will go just as far if not farther than tires and coilovers. It's not impossible to make the car handle it will take a bit of work.
Old 04-18-08, 05:42 PM
gabegtz84
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by nobleblack
haha i'll give you the stolen before race day thing. But I wouldn't get to comfy. Give it time, lexus's are more expensive to maintain than honda and I see more and more kids with sc300.

Why does it haft to be ricer ghetto punks. I lived in pomerado in a rich neighbor hood there was a house being used to strip hondas. And the kids drove bmw's.

Oh and miatas scare me lol
Miata's scare me too, there is a guy down here in san diego with a turbo rotary powered miata... I'd like to see somebody take him in the twistees.

...as far as san diego goes, there is an area known as "Paradise Hills". And my parents live over there, and i'm from over there. I could not count the times i saw a stripped honda chasis lying in the middle of the road at 3 am on my way home from drinking.

Yes, people up on bull shizzle are every where, but i'll tell ya, in San Diego there is like 2 awesome SC's. So if you own one and your missing a rare part, its not going to be to hard to find the bastard who stole it if their local, seeing fixed up Lexus anything down here is super rare. If your Hondas "B-16" engine was stolen good luck finding that engine, there is a billion in socal. Nothings rare anymore for honda. Rare Car/Rare Parts. Or Popular Car/ Rare parts???
Old 04-18-08, 05:55 PM
Bean
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by gabegtz84
Miata's scare me too, there is a guy down here in san diego with a turbo rotary powered miata... I'd like to see somebody take him in the twistees.
I guess it depends on what you call twisties, but in any amount of driving; if the curves are super razor sharp with ultra small straights, then yeah the Miata is pretty awesome.

But for wider turns or turns with any amount of straightness inbetween, there are plenty of other cars that would hand the miata its ***, no matter what kind of motor it runs. Wheelbase is too short and you can't fit enough tire on it. Thats why its not a common platform in road racing. 240sx/FC/FD would be a better setup for that. FD w/ LSx and suspension =
Old 05-03-08, 12:43 PM
uenolove
Rookie

sorry to bring this up again guys. but..........i have had my sc400 for about a year and half. i put then 1j in it about 6months ago. im not super impressed lol. my wife daily drives the lex and i drive my 99 si cuz i work 34 miles away. mpg FTW!!! i have put the lex on the shelf turning it in to my wifes daily all because of one reason............. COST.......My sc handles like a boat. the ***** makes me tired driving it. i chill in my slammed si thats super clean and turns heads and i one spent like 900 bucks on mods!!!! i feel that to build my civic money for money i will get more out of my civic. i love my sc but im to broke for that thing. even used parts cost a **** load!!!! i tried selling in for 6000 but i couldnt get it .. now im gunna use it for what its for. a luxury car. i wana drop it and put some wheels and then the end. i just feel i can jdm my civic out for way less dollars.

is anyone else having the bad economy high price sc woes????
Old 05-03-08, 04:12 PM
over40driv
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I wanted to go back to a smaller car, trying to sell my 95 sc4 for 6500, until I do I feel its still a lot of bang for the buck. My prev. sports car was an mr2, the fact Im only 5'9 fits the size of the mr2 well, but the over 40 pert gets my lower back. The SCs are plentiful around here, mr2s are scarce.
Old 05-04-08, 11:52 AM
aka paco
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

I think the SC can be a good handling car but i don't really think that's what it was ment for. i mean when you strip it down it's basically a luxury mk4 shell so i guess if you where building it for a track car you could do it, but for a street car i'd say it can handle good with a nice suspension, but not what i would call "great" it has a pretty ****ty weight distribution and of course being so heavy since it's a luxury car.

doesnt mean it's bad, but to turn it into a extremely well handling car i think you'd have to turn it into something it isn't..
Old 05-04-08, 03:19 PM
whomiked
Pole Position

Has anyone put their sc on corner scales? What are we talking about here 70f/30R??