Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Best use of money toward Suspension upgrades

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-08 | 05:12 AM
TecnoSmurf
Lead Lap

Default Best use of money toward Suspension upgrades

I have made a list of parts that I am likely to buy. As always I am looking for bang for the buck.

I already have rims and tires. I have 18x11 with 255 for the front, and 18 x 13 with 285 in the rear. I am looking to up the tire size once these wear out and I have my wide body kit.

Steering rack bushings 40
Front control arm bushings (upper and lower) 100
Rear control arm bushings 160
Daizen sway bars 500
install 350ish
Alignment and corner balancing 200

Are these the best use of my money?

As for the coilover or shocks and springs I have yet to make up my mind. I do need the rear spring diameter to be much smaller than stock because I need extra clearance for the rims in the rear. Is this possible with a spring and shock to have a smaller spring diameter. I am looking to get a ride quality thats the same as a stock 2005 STI. I want a good DD ride that can go through the canyons. No more than 1400 for the coils or springs

Other things I am considering but really dont have the money for
New supra control arms 420
Supra link ends 50?
Strut bar 150
Du luck rear ladder 240
Camber kit 130
Old 03-24-08 | 08:16 AM
5sp_jzz30
Lexus Champion

i wouldnt go with daizen sway bars. just get a set of stock TT ones. best bang for the buck upgrade. if anything i would go with tanabe or cusco sways off the TT. daizen price is ridiculous. everything else seems good.
Old 03-24-08 | 02:01 PM
TecnoSmurf
Lead Lap

But dont you have to add 160 for the sub frame mounts for any of the supra bars?

I really like a flat ride, would the stock supra sways be enough for the canyons?
Old 03-24-08 | 02:34 PM
5sp_jzz30
Lexus Champion

this is what you should do in my opinion:

supra TT front and rear sways
stance coilovers
all polyurethane bushings
energy swaybar bushings
daizen rack bushing or make solid metal ones like i did for my car(if you want a blueprint let me know i can email it to you) i machined them out of steel.
alignment(go to supra forums for good all-around specs)

having good tires is crucial as well. you can have the best suspension setup and if your tires are not meant for the use it will suck.

why are you going with such huge wheels. it will be nice for the VIP look but you will spend an arm and leg on new ones. on a 11" wheel you can easily stretch a 255. on a 13" wheel you can do a 285.
Old 03-24-08 | 03:24 PM
TecnoSmurf
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by 5sp_jzz30
this is what you should do in my opinion:
why are you going with such huge wheels. it will be nice for the VIP look but you will spend an arm and leg on new ones. on a 11" wheel you can easily stretch a 255. on a 13" wheel you can do a 285.
I already have 255 and 285 on the 11s and the 13s. The price isnt too bad its much cheaper than getting 19 inch tires.

I am going with a vip look. Its not really my thing but I have some ideas that will make it work for me. I got a good deal on the wheels.

Would you recommend any of the other mods on the dont have the money for list?
Old 03-25-08 | 11:01 AM
Mattmannz
Pole Position

You don't say what sort of upper and lower front arm bushings you are installing but I will assume they are some sort of nolathane.

If you are after a decent ride quality then get rid of the nolathane and install stock or Supra bushings. The Supra LCA's is a pretty good purchase, gives you the stiffer Supra bushes as well as new balljoints.

Matt.
Old 03-25-08 | 02:03 PM
dejacky
Lexus Test Driver

Instead of wasting money on labor to install new bushings, just replace the entire control arm with one that has lower mileage and is in better condition (aliga sells these). Also, get Bilstein HD shocks (for the supra TT cars) and Supra TT OEM springs = will completely transform the handling (and comfort) of your car.
Old 03-26-08 | 11:43 PM
TecnoSmurf
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by dejacky
Instead of wasting money on labor to install new bushings, just replace the entire control arm with one that has lower mileage and is in better condition (aliga sells these). Also, get Bilstein HD shocks (for the supra TT cars) and Supra TT OEM springs = will completely transform the handling (and comfort) of your car.
I don't think the TT springs will give me enough clearance

anyway update to the list
Steering rack bushings 40
New supra control arms 420
Strut bar 150
Rear control arm bushings 160
Daizen sway bars 500
install 350ish
Alignment and corner balancing 200

I might go with stance for 1100 plus shipping
or H&R 1100 not sure though.

I think I might go with a softer spring rate becuase I will Have plenty of grip with the extremely wide tires I will be running. Right?

anyone know if the blizten and hyper coils are smaller than OEM in the rear?

Last edited by TecnoSmurf; 03-27-08 at 03:07 AM.
Old 03-27-08 | 09:11 AM
5sp_jzz30
Lexus Champion

most coilover setups are smaller in spring diameter then stock. softer spring rates are only good if the valving of the shock is matched to it. if you get softer springs the shocks have to match it and ideally critically dampen the shocks. the springs should be chosen based on the corner weight of the cars as well. in an ideal situation i would go to my boss's friends race shop and use his scales and corner weigh my car. after that i would select the spring that would work best for my application and based on that see if the valving that the shocks come with is adequate. if it is half the job is done. if not then get the shocks revalved.

stance offers custom valving if you please. my buddy just sold his old set of stances and got new ones with stiffer springs and custom valved for his STI.

i have driven a 95 sc300 5spd on stances and low profile tires and 18" wheels and the ride was really nice. the only reason i think the ride would be good on stances even though the spring rates seem high is because that SC300 that i drove is owned by a chick. she daily drives it and she never complains about the ride. the springs rates are a bit higher then teins but they are more track oriented. the shocks are valved very well to the springs so it is a very nice ride.

MILTDOG just got stance for his car. i recommended it to him and he said he loves them. PM him and ask for his opinion. im sure he will say the same.

as far as the tires being enough for grip it doesnt really make sense. just because you have very wide tires doesnt mean it will handle very well. it helps but its deceiving. if you dont have correctly setup suspension then your huge tire patch wont make adequate contact with the ground, thus proving ineffective.

you would be surprised how many people i know have close to stock suspensions and wide wheels and their cars handle worse then some hondas on "tiny" wheels9at least by our standards lol) and still handle better due to proper suspension setups. obviously there are other variable involved but i hope you see what im trying to say.
Old 05-05-08 | 03:49 PM
UpInTheLex
Instructor

Where do you get steering rack bushings for $40 bucks? Are you including the 2 smaller ones and the larger rubber one from Toyota?

who sells Stance coilovers for the least amount of Coin?

Last edited by UpInTheLex; 05-05-08 at 03:57 PM.
Old 05-05-08 | 04:45 PM
mteele
Lexus Champion
CL Folding 10,000

The steering rack bushings are on national backorder, last I checked. You can get them from TM Engineering or Sewell Lexus.

Daizen sway bars are way overpriced, dont waste your money! You can get the Titan bars for that much money. But I recommend just getting a set of stock TT sways and just going from there if you feel you need more.
Old 05-05-08 | 09:34 PM
TecnoSmurf
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by UpInTheLex
Where do you get steering rack bushings for $40 bucks? Are you including the 2 smaller ones and the larger rubber one from Toyota?

who sells Stance coilovers for the least amount of Coin?
I was going to get hooked up from raceonusa.com for the stance.

I am going to get this http://www.airforce-sus.com/about.htm

I am going with 13k in the front and 8k in the rear.

I know that the sway bars are expensive but you don't HAVE to but the 160 dollar supra rear sub frame mounts.
Old 05-05-08 | 10:06 PM
whomiked
Pole Position

Originally Posted by TecnoSmurf
I was going to get hooked up from raceonusa.com for the stance.

I am going to get this http://www.airforce-sus.com/about.htm

I am going with 13k in the front and 8k in the rear.

I know that the sway bars are expensive but you don't HAVE to but the 160 dollar supra rear sub frame mounts.
How much do these Airforce systems run?
Old 05-06-08 | 09:49 AM
UpInTheLex
Instructor

"But I recommend just getting a set of stock TT sways and just going from there if you feel you need more."

Why bother with a set. Isn't the front bar of a sc400 exactly the same as the stock supra turbo bar?

Why not Just get a rear sway bar and mounts from a Supra?
Old 05-06-08 | 10:10 AM
ChronoJ1
Lexus Champion

Without a doubt, Energy suspension front sway bar bushing. Less than 50 bucks

Quick Reply: Best use of money toward Suspension upgrades