Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Uneven Drop with Tein S springs need help

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-08, 01:54 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,997 Likes on 2,421 Posts

Originally Posted by LEXMAN350
Since the driver side sits lower I just tried something out and it seemed to have improved the uneven drop. One of my buddies just came over and I asked him to assist me. He weighs about 285 pounds so I had him get on the passenger side, open the door and apply pressure and rock the car up and down on the door sill, and I also opened the back door and did the same thing so we were both applying pressure to the passenger side. We did this for about 5-10 min and believe it or not the passenger side is now about even with the driver side. I would still say the driver side is still a bit lower but not by much. Prior to doing this I was able to fit 3 fingers on the passenger side and now I can barely even fit 2 fingers and the driver side able to fit 1 and a half. Not saying this is a FIX that will work for all but its worth a shot.
As soon as the wheels rolled, the change disappeared. You could do the same thing by jacking up the driver's side then lowering it off the jack. The suspension takes a set with the driver's side higher and you're level again. Same holds true for the opposite direction. You can't accurately measure ride height without rolling the car to let the wheels reset the suspension.
Old 07-04-08, 03:47 PM
passnu2
Lexus Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I just lowered my car with the TEIN lowering springs and I have the same issue. My driver side is lower than the passenger side.......
it needs time to settle since you just installed....

Since the driver side sits lower I just tried something out and it seemed to have improved the uneven drop. One of my buddies just came over and I asked him to assist me. He weighs about 285 pounds so I had him get on the passenger side, open the door and apply pressure and rock the car up and down on the door sill, and I also opened the back door and did the same thing so we were both applying pressure to the passenger side. We did this for about 5-10 min and believe it or not the passenger side is now about even with the driver side. I would still say the driver side is still a bit lower but not by much. Prior to doing this I was able to fit 3 fingers on the passenger side and now I can barely even fit 2 fingers and the driver side able to fit 1 and a half. Not saying this is a FIX that will work for all but its worth a shot.

nice idea but they are still settling so I dont think you have resolved this problem. I have had passenger "ONLY" on the passenger side and I only weigh 160....I have had more then enough weight on the passenger side and my springs have been on my car for about 5 mos...this will never go away. I have a finger gap on the passenger side and NO gap on the driver side. I had issues with rubbing ONLY on the drive side I was in and out of the dealer and I had to modify a portion of my car to eliminate the spot that I was rubbing on....

I don't meant to sound negative but I beat my head for months trying to figure this out along with the techs at the dealer. was there many times, myself included, after hours and on the weekend If you figure something out please do share with the rest of us. If you are rubbing on the driver side I am more then happy to take pics of what was done if you need to on yours!
Old 07-04-08, 04:59 PM
08Lexus250
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by passnu2
Hello Need some expert advice/help please!

I am lowered on the TeinS springs. Love how it drives and handles. Great springs! I have an offset of +38 19x10 in the rear with a 275/35 tire. I get rub over big dips and bumps ONLY on the drive side...our car sits lower on the driver side on US spec models. With this being said what can i do to even the drop out? With out going to the next step of coilovers unless necessary what other ideas or creative things can i try. my rear fenders are rolled so that isn't an option. I went back today to have them push it farther. Springs are on the car for a whole month so i am trying to not get rid of them.

Thank you
Mike

Hey Mike I might just have a solution. Awhile back I had this same problem with my Del sol. Instead of going through all that work switching out springs I used coil spring spacers. I ran a search and JC whitney sells them. Heres the link.

http://www.jcwhitney.com/COIL-SPRING...3419_10101.jcw

They go right in between the coil springs. I'm not sure if they are the same ones that I had but the ones that were on my del sol were kind of foamy similar to... hmmmm... the material found in bumpstops.

This is one option for you or you can switch to coilovers.

Last edited by 08Lexus250; 07-04-08 at 05:05 PM.
Old 07-04-08, 05:11 PM
passnu2
Lexus Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

^^thanks for the info...this thread is old and I have fixed the problem already by altering a portion of the car good info for the people that are going to run into this same problem unless they go with coils
Old 07-04-08, 05:53 PM
sincityIS
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I ordered a set of these:

http://www.sportsimportsltd.com/recospsporco.html

I got 2 of them I figure I will use one on each side of the coil. This is pretty cool because you can adjust where you want it. I don't imagine you would even have to remove the tire to adjust them, just lift the car up with a jack. I figure I can use 2 of these in the middle of the passenger front coil to lower it 1/4 inch. I am hoping that will bring the rear down as well, but if it doesn't and it works, I will order 2 more for the rear. They are kinda expensive, I paid about $45 for 2 of these shipped to my house. I am assuming they are good quality based on their price and that they are made of steel. I am excited to get them and try them. I will do a writeup when I do.