Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.
View Poll Results: Which Springs? (IS 250 AWD w/ 19x8.5-38mm offset, 235-35-R19)
Road Magnet 2" Drop Front and Rear
35.29%
Tein S-Tech 1.6" Front and 1.2" Rear
64.71%
Other
0%
Voters: 17. You may not vote on this poll

Tein S-Tech or Road Magnet for AWD? Poll

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-08, 07:42 AM
VTis250awd
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tein S-Tech or Road Magnet for AWD? Poll

Hey guys and gals this is my first post and I promise as soon as I get my wheels, tires, and lowering springs installed I will post pics. So far the mods I have done include front and rear oem ground effects, rear spoiler, sport pedals, tint (20 % rear window and 35% on the sides), short shifter (i cut the auto shift **** threaded shaft so the stock **** sits lower), and all weather floor mats. By the way I have an 2006 IS 250 awd w/ nav in tungsten pearl... now to my question. I just ordered a set of 19 x 8.5 wheels with a 38 mm offset with 235-35-R19 tires and am trying to decide which lowering springs to order. In a perfect world I would order coil overs but they are not available yet for the AWD and I do not feel like driving an SUV in the mean time. My friend has a CTS on 20's with no drop and it looks like Big Foot and makes me want to vomit. I have narrowed my choices down to the Road Magnet springs which provide a 2" drop and are designed for the AWD or the Tein S-Tech which provide 1.6" front and 1.2" rear but are designed for the 350. I have read every thread on here regarding the topic and searched the far ends of the internet but would like some input regarding my exact setup. I either want the drop to look equal on both ends or to be a little lower in the front which I think both of these options will satisfy in one way or another from pictures I have found throughout the forum. My thoughts on going with these more aggresive kits is to compensate for the huge wheel gap on the AWD but I dont want to go too low so they rub. Also I do not want the higher front look you get with the tanabes. Do you guys think these kits might provide too aggressive of a drop and maybe I should go with the Tein H-Tech? I do not want to deal with rubbing if possible...? I would appreciate any advice or suggestions you guys have and like I said will post the pics as soon as I get everything installed. The wheels and tires are coming this week and the springs will come as soon as I decide which set to get. I would appreciate any comments or suggestions you guys have. Also was my choice of wheels and tires a good choice for the AWD...? I am keeping the the brand and style of the "mooncakes" a secret so that when they are unveiled it will be a surprise and also so I do not get flamed now and regret my decision before they even get here. If it does not rain here today in Philly I will try and get pics today of the car "as is" because I know thats what this forum is all about! Soo thank you in advance for any input you have and I am excited to become a member of the club lexus family... p.s. I have been stalking you guys since I bought my car new in early 06.

Eric

Last edited by VTis250awd; 04-08-08 at 10:13 AM.
Old 04-05-08, 07:51 AM
passnu2
Lexus Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

you will never get a perfect drop on springs IMO. I have TeinS and love the drop and the ride. Also note that with springs, I found out the hard way, that the car sits lower on the drivers side. Nothing you can do about this and honestly i would have never noticed it but i have an aggressive rear tire set up and get slight rub on the driver side. you will be fine with the tires and offset you have. Coilovers offer a little more balance and control if you want a lower drop in the front. The rear sits perfect and the front could be a little lower IMO but i guess its preference and what i was looking for I should have purchased coilovers and I am looking now for them to get rid of my S techs! Sad as they have been on my car for only a month...if i can fix my rub I am going to keep them. From what I read in your post here I feel the TeinS are going to give you the best all around drop and ride. I searched with the same things in mind. Wanted an aggressive drop and well the other springs didn't offer this. Hope this is of help to you! Cant wait to see pics when you have it all put together

you can see pics also if you search Work Varianza T1S on BLK IS350 to see how the drop looks. I just posted this thread a few days back note the car is on an incline so its not level. I will post pics later today with the front lip installed so that my give you a better idea on the drop!
Old 04-05-08, 07:53 AM
VTis250awd
Driver School Candidate

One more question...? Sorry for overloading you guys with questions. If
I choose to just stick the TPMS in the spare what have you guys done to prevent them from rattling around when using the spare in an emergency. I want to do this just so I do not have to buy another set so that I can use my stocks as winter wheels and the new wheels for summer and not purchase an extra set sensors. Also I am not even sure my new wheels are compatible with the TPMS system I have heard conflicting opinions. Also I understand that I am not gonna drive 100's of miles with the sensors in the spare, I just want to be able to use it to get some where to fix the flat. Thanks!

Eric
Old 04-05-08, 07:59 AM
passnu2
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by VTis250awd
One more question...? Sorry for overloading you guys with questions. If
I choose to just stick the TPMS in the spare what have you guys done to prevent them from rattling around when using the spare in an emergency. I want to do this just so I do not have to buy another set so that I can use my stocks as winter wheels and the new wheels for summer and not purchase an extra set sensors. Also I am not even sure my new wheels are compatible with the TPMS system I have heard conflicting opinions. Also I understand that I am not gonna drive 100's of miles with the sensors in the spare, I just want to be able to use it to get some where to fix the flat. Thanks!

Eric
No way around having them in the spare and them loose in the spare. Look on Ebay, I got a NEW set for our car for 100$. Well worth it so i can go winter to summer rims with a switch in the car and less of a headache. You will get your money back out of them when you sell the car. Assuming your rims are TPMS?
Old 04-05-08, 08:03 AM
VTis250awd
Driver School Candidate

Hey passnu2 thanks for the input! Yeah I read about the issues with the driver side being lower, but what can you do...? No manufacturers care about us AWD folks enough to make us a set of coilovers yet, and i cant wait. I don't think I will care too much either as long as I do not get any rubbing. It is hard to look at both sides of the car at the same time so I am sure nobody but myself or you guys would notice. Bottom line I want an aggressive look, but not too aggresive of a look that I rub. I also do not want to spend $500 on springs and installation and not be able to tell my car was dropped which I am afraid I would get if I purchased something like the H-Type kit. That would **** my girlfriend off even more then she already is. She thinks all of this nonsense is costing me $1000 not $2500... whoops. Man she is going to hate the way this thing looks when it's done, I got soo much crap for the ground effects kit. Guess I should not mention the fact that an HKS exhaust and injen intake are on there way soon...

Eric
Old 04-05-08, 08:32 AM
passnu2
Lexus Fanatic

Your welcome! You will be happy with all that the TeinS will offer. You can get them for around 200$ or so and probably pay someone around 150$ to install them unless you have a Tech you can use on the side like i did...
Old 04-05-08, 08:37 AM
VTis250awd
Driver School Candidate

Ugh this is the most confusing and difficult choice I have ever had to make... Everywhere I look on here I read a different or conflicting opinion. I have found a few pictures of peeps with the road magnets while searching the forum but if anyone out there with an AWD with road magnets and 19's wants to post their pics in this thread that would be awesome. I see there is a special running for them by one of the vendors for $220 shipped and this seems like too good of a deal to pass up. I am just worried this is too aggressive. Also I am sorry I did not post this in the suspension section but I wanted to reach more people with my first post and also I will be adding pics of my other mods to this thread... hopefully soon. There should be a sticky concerning lowering your IS 250 AWD because this seems to be an issue a lot of people have questions on.?!?!?

Eric
Old 04-05-08, 09:23 AM
passnu2
Lexus Fanatic

2" i think will be too much of a drop unless you are going to mod fenders
Old 04-05-08, 09:48 AM
lexboi250
Lexus Champion

i'm in the same boat, i'm getting 18's, and i'm worried about the 2 inch drop being too much, lol
Old 04-05-08, 10:48 AM
Tony221
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i wish they made road magnet springs for the 350 with the 2" drop
Old 04-05-08, 11:16 AM
VTis250awd
Driver School Candidate

haha i wish they made the road magnet springs for the is 250 awd with less of a drop that would be ideal. i think i'm leaning towards the s-tech then... do you think this will still be too aggressive of a drop and i should go with the h-tech to be safe?
Old 04-05-08, 11:18 AM
VTis250awd
Driver School Candidate

cheapest i have found the s-techs for is $240 shipped which isn't bad.
Old 04-05-08, 12:50 PM
VTis250awd
Driver School Candidate

don't know if you guys have seen this because i searched the forum and did not see anything, but apparently there are fake tein springs out there... great just what i need to make my decision harder! i have pretty much decided on tein s-tech springs now only to find out there are fake ones out there!!!

http://www.team-integra.net/forum/di...g+Common+Topic

Edit: found a previous thread about this... but i guess it does not hurt to make more people aware of this

Last edited by VTis250awd; 04-05-08 at 12:57 PM.
Old 04-05-08, 01:29 PM
passnu2
Lexus Fanatic

i sent you a PM to a place i got mine from. They are the real deal. I checked this also as i read about it myself. If you are going to pull the trigger purchase from where i did and they are a little less then what you got quoted. Not that its going to make or break but its a little something and I personally had no issues with them!
Old 04-05-08, 01:33 PM
VTis250awd
Driver School Candidate

ok thanks. i just got a little nervous when i saw the pm and how good the price was.

thanks

Quick Reply: Tein S-Tech or Road Magnet for AWD? Poll