Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

newly installed TRD strut bar

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-08, 11:02 PM
million3g
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i think everything has a reason and they do if you get the right one and you research it. even a trd radiator cap is meant to withstand a little more pressure and create a better seal over stock. and filter are more of a supporting mod giving better flow. so just research it. and the bar actually helps keep the frame and car stiff and sturdy. over time a cars frame and body naturally twist, very little but it does, especially with "sport" driving.

Last edited by million3g; 10-10-08 at 11:06 PM. Reason: needed more
Old 10-16-08, 01:17 PM
djyoshi626
Pole Position

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by MTSC3
It should be clear that bolstering my post count is not a concern of mine, as I average about one post a month, over the last 5 years. And, I love the irony of that post, whether intentional or unintentional. Now I do agree with you, that a triangulated bar is superior to this type of strut bar, and I also wish that one was made for the SC.

Now to the OP, I like that bar. Take it down to your local machine shop and have them weld that crack. Then, to get the bar to fit better, order two of the spacers Baoser mentioned from one of our vendors, your local Lexus dealer, or your favorite junkyard. The part number you want to use when ordering is 53723-24010. Keep in mind it is recommended that you use coilovers with longer cap studs, otherwise you may not have enough thread for the nuts to be safely fastened.

I'm about to install a 2nd Gen TRD STB with Tokico Blue's + NF210s, should I also get longer cap studs or does this not apply to me
Old 10-16-08, 11:49 PM
infiniti24
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs down

no it does not apply to you. you have the 2nd gen not the first gen
Old 10-17-08, 05:23 PM
FormosaSC
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 5sp_jzz30
there is a difference in 20 and 200 dollar strut tower bars. the crap you buy that is just a link between the two towers isnt much of anything. in order to have a good working bar you need triangulation. google the trd strut tower bar for the st165 celica. the stock celica bar is a simple wide V looking thing that connects the two towers and the firewall. the bar is connected to only two strut hat bolts and the ends are very flimsy. the TRD bar is triangulated, incorporating a straight rod across, over the engine. the ends of the bar connect on all the bolts on the strut hat and are made of thicker and stronger material.

another good example of a good design is the evo8/9 bars. very well made from the factory. again, it is triangulated.

im not looking at it from a "it doesnt do anything and i know because i drift" perspective, but rather as an engineer i see it as a poor design. it is made to be mass produced and economically, thus not being optimum at all.

after seeing the ARC strut tower bar on my buddies evo9 MR i was shocked how chitty it was. the welds did not go around on both sides of the brackets. the back mount that attaches to the firewall was not boxed. it was simply a piece of sheet metal bent to shape, again not a good design. all of these things can easily be fixed and/or prevented at minimum cost if the right design is used.

EDIT: BTW: when you add washers you created increased shear in places where it was not before. the strut bolt is having more load applied to it then it ever should. not a good thing.

DOUBLE EDIT: your link doesnt work
Im sorry i got your point now. You are right, the way a strut bar is made is very important... those links ones dont work as well... Which is why i bought the carbing strut bar, look into that one if you guys want a strut bar that actually does something. It is quite pricy (300$+ per) but after installing the bar, turning felt very different, its smooth and stiffens the front, you can actually feel the difference and be able to enjoy your turns more. Another good thing about the bar is it comes with a master cylinder stopper welded on the bar. What is does is when you step on the brakes hard, the master cylinder actually physically travels forward, this in turns translate to the brake pedal and you get a sluggish feel, with the stopper, it makes a difference in the feel of the braking. It's a really really nice bar.

it also clears my Tein Cs nicely! i can also install the EDFC with no mods to the strut bar!! It's perfect for me!
Old 10-17-08, 05:25 PM
over40driv
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Where did you get yours, I havent seen them on the market.
Old 10-17-08, 05:30 PM
FormosaSC
Lexus Champion

just like this one.

Old 10-17-08, 05:35 PM
FormosaSC
Lexus Champion

The design.
Old 10-17-08, 05:36 PM
over40driv
Lexus Champion

Looks good, but where did you get yours?
Old 10-17-08, 06:04 PM
FormosaSC
Lexus Champion

A friend of mine got me mine. so i dont really know.
Old 10-17-08, 06:09 PM
YeA 2jZ
Lexus Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SickSC
A friend of mine got me mine. so i dont really know.
damn i really want to know about this bar is yours an SC specific model for the 2JZGE or is it a Supra GTE version ???
Old 10-17-08, 06:14 PM
FormosaSC
Lexus Champion

it doesnt really matter because it fits nicely on mine, i had to take off this little black cover but that's it. It's honetly a really good bar. If you are willing to spend 200$ on a bar that LOOKS good, why not spend an extra 100 on one that works?

i saw on another post that someone had to grind down his trd bar to fit edfc... that cant be good for the bar. lol If you have tein and want to go edfc, this is the best bar for you. Your only other option for the edfc would be cusco, but cusco bar is not as good as this one.
Old 10-17-08, 06:18 PM
FormosaSC
Lexus Champion

check out http://www.carbing.co.jp/english/pro...rut/index.html , they explain the bar pretty well.

looking at their product list, mine is made for a soarer, explains why it fits nicely
Old 10-17-08, 06:49 PM
YeA 2jZ
Lexus Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

it doesnt really matter because it fits nicely on mine, i had to take off this little black cover but that's it. It's honetly a really good bar. If you are willing to spend 200$ on a bar that LOOKS good, why not spend an extra 100 on one that works?

i saw on another post that someone had to grind down his trd bar to fit edfc... that cant be good for the bar. lol If you have tein and want to go edfc, this is the best bar for you. Your only other option for the edfc would be cusco, but cusco bar is not as good as this one.
it does matter bcuz some ppl are having fitment issues due to the different styles of intake manifold from GE and GTE thats why I was asking but I saw the products list on the link you put and it does show up under Lexus Soarer UZZ31 or JZZ30 2.5L turbo so i guess it would work thanks for the link man
Old 10-17-08, 07:08 PM
over40driv
Lexus Champion

Tein USA is a distributor, and they are on fact. back order last I checked.
Old 10-17-08, 07:26 PM
5sp_jzz30
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

The design.
that is a much better design but can still be improved if it is boxed strut mounts. other wise the stress is carried by the sheet metal and the welds. master cylinder stopped is an amazing invention. lol. if anyone is curious what the stopper prevent go out to your car and have a buddy press the brake really hard. you will see the firewall flex and the master cylinder move a few mm's.

Quick Reply: newly installed TRD strut bar