Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

newly installed TRD strut bar

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-08, 08:14 PM
FormosaSC
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 5sp_jzz30
that is a much better design but can still be improved if it is boxed strut mounts. other wise the stress is carried by the sheet metal and the welds. master cylinder stopped is an amazing invention. lol. if anyone is curious what the stopper prevent go out to your car and have a buddy press the brake really hard. you will see the firewall flex and the master cylinder move a few mm's.
anything can be improved, i think this is as good as it gets with what you pay for, it can be better, but i dont see any other company making one that's better anytime soon.
Old 10-17-08, 08:53 PM
L_dbl_E
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Any word on if anyone else actaully has this? And where can you get it?
-Lee
Old 10-17-08, 09:17 PM
5sp_jzz30
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SickSC
anything can be improved, i think this is as good as it gets with what you pay for, it can be better, but i dont see any other company making one that's better anytime soon.
true that. for the money it is a good deal. if i actually bought one i would modify it though.

it is definitely better then the renowned ARC chit. my buddy has an ARC bar on his evo and its crap. best of all it is like 450ish. biggest waste of money ever.
Old 10-29-08, 05:42 PM
cazman
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 5sp_jzz30
dude its a useless upgrade. it wont help anything. its just for looks. if you think it helps its all in your head for the most part. that trd bar looks like the cheap chit you can get on ebay. a real strut tower bar should be triangulated to be most effective.

the jza80 bar is a good design but i would try to get one that goes along the lines of the DSM evo8/9 or the st165 celica trd bar. its triangulated. noone makes it but oh well.
Try a jack up test.
jack the car up, put it on stands, then jack 1 corner up at the front, and measure the deflection of the chassis, you will find its almost 50mm, then repeat the test WITH the strut brace/bar on.
You will notice the deflection halved.
I have tested it, and its a proven fact, although our cars run a double wishbone this mod still helps alot.

And then there is also the fact that the body/chassis is acting as one big spring, but it has no damper on it like a coil springs. By making the chassis tighter in any way possible it will help, whether it be large or small.
The tighter your chassis the STIFFER your coil springs will actaully be, and it also means your damper will be more effective as the chassis wont be deflecting as much so the damper will "take up" quicker as such

/end rant
Old 10-29-08, 06:09 PM
5sp_jzz30
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by cazman
Try a jack up test.
jack the car up, put it on stands, then jack 1 corner up at the front, and measure the deflection of the chassis, you will find its almost 50mm, then repeat the test WITH the strut brace/bar on.
You will notice the deflection halved.
I have tested it, and its a proven fact, although our cars run a double wishbone this mod still helps alot.

And then there is also the fact that the body/chassis is acting as one big spring, but it has no damper on it like a coil springs. By making the chassis tighter in any way possible it will help, whether it be large or small.
The tighter your chassis the STIFFER your coil springs will actaully be, and it also means your damper will be more effective as the chassis wont be deflecting as much so the damper will "take up" quicker as such

/end rant
uhm...okay. i agree with all you have said. all that i am trying to say is that if you buy a properly made one it will give you the most benefit. triangulation is key. sure the 30 dollar one from ebay will do something...but is it even worth it. not really.
Old 10-29-08, 06:31 PM
over40driv
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Still waiting on the Carbing, anyone sees it let us know. I check the Tein USA site daily.
Old 09-18-09, 07:09 AM
asnatlas
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by over40driv
Still waiting on the Carbing, anyone sees it let us know. I check the Tein USA site daily.
This is the best price I can find...

Carbing Strut Tower Bar with about $10.00 for S/H