Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

K Sport Coilovers vs TEIN CS ?

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-08, 09:22 AM
ISF_GG
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Default K Sport Coilovers vs TEIN CS ?

I've been trying to decide which coilovers to get. My first choice is the TEIN CS's, because they are designed more for comfortable driving than all out performance (which I don't want on my DD). Does anyone here have any first hand experience with K-Sport coilovers? Are they designed/calibrated more for performance? Has anyone ever heard anything good or bad about them?
Thanks for you input. I did attempt to search and no info came up.
Old 04-10-08, 09:46 AM
Tony221
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i havent personally had experience with ksport on the 2IS but i have installed them on my friends 04 Accord, 02 Civic and 02 WRX and the ride is not to harsh, its relatively smooth on the right settings. Been about 2 years now and no complaints. hope that helps
Old 04-10-08, 10:02 AM
ISF_GG
Lexus Champion

Over on nicoclub.com they really bash the K-sports as being very poorly made. They put them on a dampening test machine, and each k sport coilover had a completely different compression and rebound rate # . So you would have to dial in completely different settings on each coilover to achieve a balanced setup. Sounds like the K sports may be a very poor choice.
Old 04-10-08, 10:10 AM
Giggity
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

K sports use a heavier spring rate than most, softer springs can be had a $50 per corner. I almost went with these becuase they are local to me and they use a monotube strut (I prefer that over twin tube). I did not want to buy an extra set of springs to get the comfortable ride. Also, there is no "click" between settings on the adjustment ****, because they will be releasing an electronic control box soon, similar to tein and tanabe.
I went with the Megan street LP, it uses softer spring rates with monotube struts.
The Tein CS also uses similar spring rates, but with twin tube struts that have additional "corrosion resistent" coating, not enough to justify the extra $400 over the cost of the megan setup for me.
Old 04-10-08, 11:50 AM
ISF_GG
Lexus Champion

Giggity, how is the ride on your Megans? How long have you had them? How easy are they to adjust the dampening and height? And last but not least, where did you buy them? I'm just curious, why do you prefer mono tube over twin tube? Thanks for your input.
Old 04-10-08, 04:31 PM
Giggity
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Turbo_gg
Giggity, how is the ride on your Megans? How long have you had them? How easy are they to adjust the dampening and height? And last but not least, where did you buy them? I'm just curious, why do you prefer mono tube over twin tube? Thanks for your input.
They should arrive tomorrow... review to follow, got em from stat racing dot com they were the cheapest...
As far as height adjustment goes, it is what it is, a PIA. I also think that 32 levels of dampening adjustment is overkill, good to know it's there though.
I've got a few years experience with suspension setup and I feel that monotube struts offer better feel.
here is a link that explains the difference between monotube and twintube (scoll to mid page)
http://www.autoanything.com/suspensi...A26A163A4.aspx
Old 04-10-08, 09:58 PM
ISF_GG
Lexus Champion

I didn't realize that you don't actually have them on yet. Let me know how they are, and what settings you set them at, and why. It sounds like you are more interested in performance than comfort, am I wrong?
Old 04-11-08, 08:39 AM
Giggity
Pole Position

It sounds like you are more interested in performance than comfort, am I wrong?
Well, I'd rather have a comfortable ride and be able to tighten it up when I'm in the mood. I'm getting too old to drive a kidney puncher every day, thats why I bought the IS.
Originally I had planned on just doing H&R springs and getting the F-sport struts when they are released. But, after weighing the cost, for only a couple hundred more the flexibility of coilovers makes more sense.
Plus, I go through rims and tires like tennis shoes, it's nice to have the ability to play with the ride height to fit the wheel and tire combo.
Old 04-16-08, 03:23 PM
ISF_GG
Lexus Champion

So Giggity, what's the update? Have you installed your Megans yet?
Old 04-16-08, 06:47 PM
Giggity
Pole Position

NO JOY!
The distributor is kind of giving me the run around, but they said I should have them in my hands by Friday. If that turns out to be the case, I'll install Friday night or Saturday and and have the ride hieght, toe, and dampening dialed in on Sunday.

Last edited by Giggity; 04-16-08 at 07:28 PM.
Old 04-16-08, 06:59 PM
camberSC
Lexus Champion

I have had Ksports in the past.... Don't do it..... Get the Tein
Old 04-16-08, 07:26 PM
Giggity
Pole Position

Get the Tein
Thanks MILTDOG, but I've already weighed the pros/cons and pulled the trigger on the Megan setup...
Originally Posted by Giggity
I went with the Megan street LP, it uses softer spring rates with monotube struts.
The Tein CS also uses similar spring rates, but with twin tube struts that have additional "corrosion resistent" coating, not enough to justify the extra $400 over the cost of the megan setup for me.
Old 04-17-08, 11:43 AM
ISF_GG
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by -MILTDOG-
I have had Ksports in the past.... Don't do it..... Get the Tein
Tell me more about the K-sports. What didn't you like about them??? I definitely have the TEIN CS's on the top of my list, but am keeping my options open about others as well................so.............give me some details about your ksports!
Old 04-17-08, 12:46 PM
ISF_GG
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Giggity
NO JOY!
The distributor is kind of giving me the run around, but they said I should have them in my hands by Friday. If that turns out to be the case, I'll install Friday night or Saturday and and have the ride hieght, toe, and dampening dialed in on Sunday.
I look forward to reading your input about your Megan's. Are you going to initially set them up for performance, or for comfortable cruising?
Old 04-24-08, 09:20 AM
ISF_GG
Lexus Champion

Giggity, any update on the Megan's? Did you install them yet?