Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

New Brakes, Which Ones Do You Recommend?

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-08, 06:28 AM
TruPlaya26
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default New Brakes, Which Ones Do You Recommend?

Ok so my dash brake light is coming on when I brake meaning it's time to have them replaced but I've decided I'm going to replace the rotors & pads, the whole thing ... Now I had been looking for rotors and have come up with two choices, iRotors: http://www.irotors.com/storefrontpro...20&i=232925561 ... or regular Brembos from L-Tuned: http://www.l-tunedparts.com/product/?id=1821 & http://www.l-tunedparts.com/product/?id=1822 ... Now I know the Brembos are going to cost twice as much and I'm trying to stay on a budget UNDER $500 ...

So which set do you guys recommend? Any other brands or sites that have good quality rotors for our cars that I can get F & R for under $500?

Next up, I don't really know anything about brake pads but I'd like to get some with good stopping ability & the lowest brake dust possible, any suggestions?

And yes I have searched the forums but haven't found any definite info about what I'd like to get so I'd like to have some updated first-hand info. from all you guys which have changed rotors/pads.

-Thanks in advance

Last edited by TruPlaya26; 04-16-08 at 07:08 AM.
Old 04-16-08, 05:37 PM
jspecdan
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would say that you should not get cross-drilled or slotted rotors. They're going to eat at your pads faster and they have a higher probability of cracking. And don't cheap out on rotors (Autozone or Pep Boys generic rotors). They'll warp quickly. Rotors and pads should last 25k to 35k miles before changing them.

I'm trying to set-up a group buy for Akebono pads but so far no news (yes, I know it's been like a month).

1.) ProACT pads (Front: $64/set, Rear: $58/set)
2.) Brembo replacement rotors (Front: $46/each, Rear: $40/each)

Total: $294 before shipping & taxes.

http://www.tirerack.com/brakes/resul...0&autoModClar=
Old 04-16-08, 09:55 PM
pitmanr200
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jspecdan
I would say that you should not get cross-drilled or slotted rotors. They're going to eat at your pads faster and they have a higher probability of cracking. And don't cheap out on rotors (Autozone or Pep Boys generic rotors). They'll warp quickly. Rotors and pads should last 25k to 35k miles before changing them.

I'm trying to set-up a group buy for Akebono pads but so far no news (yes, I know it's been like a month).

search around about autozone duralast rotors. They may be cheap, but people on here stand by them. I just bought a set and a set of wagner ceramic for front.
Old 04-16-08, 11:01 PM
testing
Driver

Originally Posted by pitmanr200
search around about autozone duralast rotors. They may be cheap, but people on here stand by them. I just bought a set and a set of wagner ceramic for front.
Did you buy a set of autozone duralast rotors? How much did you pay for them? How you like it so far?
Old 04-16-08, 11:20 PM
rocker44
Rookie

Originally Posted by jspecdan

these ProACT pads are ceramic rite? and both the rotors and pads are full compatible with GS,no need to do mod,just plug and play, arent they?
and how many people do you need for a group??
sign me in for these pads and rotors.
oh, and just one quick question. as of my understanding, the supra tt brake kit is also full compatible on both front and rear with GS rite? cause i am planning to change me all 4 corners but not sure if i have to do any mod or not.
here are the parts that i'm planning to buy:
supra tt calipers with shim,ProACT ceramic pads, and brembo rotors.
what do you guys think?is this the good kits for my GS?
Old 04-17-08, 12:14 AM
JeffTsai
Lexus Fanatic

Received 43 Likes on 17 Posts

Umm...the GS doesnt have brake pad sensors. It won't tell you if the pads are running low. The BRAKE light you're seeing is the parkin brake light. Pull on the parking brake release a few times to make sure it's not caught or something. A lot of people have mistaken the parking brake light for that
Old 04-17-08, 12:14 AM
pitmanr200
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by testing
Did you buy a set of autozone duralast rotors? How much did you pay for them? How you like it so far?
yes i bought duralast. they were 37.99 each for front. I will be installing them this weekend.
Old 04-17-08, 06:06 AM
TruPlaya26
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by JeffTsai
Umm...the GS doesnt have brake pad sensors. It won't tell you if the pads are running low. The BRAKE light you're seeing is the parkin brake light. Pull on the parking brake release a few times to make sure it's not caught or something. A lot of people have mistaken the parking brake light for that
That's weird, pulling the parking brake release is the first thing i did ... The brake light on the dash only shows up every once in a while when I brake, This happened when I first got the car in August and I took it to a personal friend who has been working on Japanese cars for 20 years, and his dad for over 35 years, they have their own shop. He told me when the light would come on intermitently it was because the brakes needed to be replaced (pads) ... But I've also noticed that for the past 2,000 miles or more I've been getting squealing when I'm using the brakes from lower speeds, the tech at the Lexus near my house told me the rotors might be glazed and I only needed to do a couple hard stops to remove it, he said this is a common problem with older Lexus brakes. I tried a couple hard stops from 60 - 0 but nothing, no improvement ... Anything else I should try before I replace the whole damn thing?
Old 04-17-08, 07:13 AM
wowitztai
Lexus Champion

wow..never knew they had a brake pad sensor..
Old 04-17-08, 10:51 AM
3UZFTE
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Tru, Jeff is right, our GS DOES NOT have a brake pad sensor, the reason why the light might be coming on.. is possibly the brake fluid level sensor is causing it to go on during hard braking. Simple check, check brake cluid level.
Old 04-17-08, 10:59 AM
TruPlaya26
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by 3UZFTE
Tru, Jeff is right, our GS DOES NOT have a brake pad sensor, the reason why the light might be coming on.. is possibly the brake fluid level sensor is causing it to go on during hard braking. Simple check, check brake cluid level.
Will do, gonna check that out tonight when I get home

- WHat about the squealing sound though? anything you guys might suggest for that? I hate braking and sounding like an old ford focus
Old 04-17-08, 12:17 PM
KevMMA
Rookie

Yeah probably the brake fluid level. Some brakes will make noise. If its a recent problem you might want to check your pads.
Old 04-17-08, 02:48 PM
GoFaSSter
Driver

If the brake fluid is low, it is a sign of worn pads. As the pads wear the piston will stay out farther keeping more fluid in the caliper area and less in the master cylinder. The brake fluid light is usually used as a sign that the pads are worn. I am not going to say for sure they need replacing, but the pads should be checked.
Old 04-18-08, 09:46 AM
TruPlaya26
Lexus Champion

Ok so I checked the brake fluid last night and it was about half an inch below the MAX line, should it be all the way up to that line?
Old 04-18-08, 10:44 AM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 79 Likes on 61 Posts

Fill her up to the Max level and see what happens. There should be a minimum line. ALWAY have it above that level.

We do have brake sensors..it's call the metal tabs on the brake pads that squeals when you've ran your brakes down to the ground

Quick Reply: New Brakes, Which Ones Do You Recommend?