Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

problem with fitting supra tt rims

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-08, 09:55 PM
siemapl
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default problem with fitting supra tt rims

So, i just received a set of supra tt rims (without tires) sizes 17x8 and 17x9.5 and was curious to see how they would look on my car with the different offset (.38 supra v. .50 for sc4) and was shocked when i put them on. i see many people have the supra tt rim upgrade on their sc's, but when i took off my rear wheel to put on the tire-less supra rim, i noticed that the rim is so wide that it rubs on the spring. is something wrong here? what can i do to make these supra tt rims fit my 96 sc400 without rubbing on the spring? also, what is the recommended tire size to keep the supra wheels working with the speedo accurately?
Old 04-16-08, 10:59 PM
Spitfire86
Pole Position

Hmm, can you post any pics? Supra rims are plug and play. I have them on my 92 sc400 and there is zero rubbing...
Old 04-17-08, 07:35 AM
rawdil49
Pole Position

Originally Posted by siemapl
is something wrong here?
yes. they should fit no problem. is your suspension stock? is it only rubbing on one wheel?
Old 04-17-08, 07:58 AM
TJohnson
Driver

It's a simple issue of geometry when it comes to this stuff. As you raise the car up, the control arms go down and actually get CLOSER to the spring and strut than they would be when they are on the ground.

I used to have 18x11 wheels on the back of my Supra with the same issue. They would rest against the spring perch when the car was in the air. However, when you take it off the jackstands and let it sit naturally, there was a good inch or more space between the spring and wheel.

The Supra wheels are a direct swap and you should have no problem getting them to fit. If they don't, then something is seriously wrong elsewhere with the car.
Old 04-17-08, 08:44 AM
5sp_jzz30
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by TJohnson
It's a simple issue of geometry when it comes to this stuff. As you raise the car up, the control arms go down and actually get CLOSER to the spring and strut than they would be when they are on the ground.

I used to have 18x11 wheels on the back of my Supra with the same issue. They would rest against the spring perch when the car was in the air. However, when you take it off the jackstands and let it sit naturally, there was a good inch or more space between the spring and wheel.

The Supra wheels are a direct swap and you should have no problem getting them to fit. If they don't, then something is seriously wrong elsewhere with the car.
being in the air or not doesnt matter for the supra wheels. when i have my car on the jack stands with the wheel at full sag it still doesnt touch the shoc/spring.

post some pics. ive have my supra pp wheels on my car for some time now and love them. without any issues what so ever.
Old 04-17-08, 08:58 AM
SC400Dude
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 5sp_jzz30
being in the air or not doesnt matter for the supra wheels. when i have my car on the jack stands with the wheel at full sag it still doesnt touch the shoc/spring.

post some pics. ive have my supra pp wheels on my car for some time now and love them. without any issues what so ever.
You're both right...though I feel that something is out of place with his particular vehicle...post pics and we'll try to determine what's going on
Old 04-17-08, 10:45 AM
TheMole
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

That's strange. Although you should know that the supra tt wheels have a
+50 offset all around.

I'm getting a set in today and I'll see if I have any issues as well.
Old 04-17-08, 10:50 AM
tcrow31
Pole Position

I have TT wheels on mine and didn't experience this at all sitting on jack stand or on the ground. TT wheels are pretty much plug and play except for the 10mm spacers for the front wheels. I am running 245/40 R17 on the front and 275 35 R17 in back.
Old 04-17-08, 11:58 AM
5sp_jzz30
Lexus Champion

you dont need front spacers. they fit perfectly with ls400 and supra tt calipers. spacers can be put on to make them more "flush" that is all.
Old 04-17-08, 12:16 PM
mteele
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Correct, spacers are not required to clear the BBK setups. But due to the difference in offset between the Supra wheel and the stock SC wheel, a small spacer will help push them out to where they should be sitting.
Old 04-17-08, 12:34 PM
tcrow31
Pole Position

yea they look weird without spacers imo.
Old 04-17-08, 06:24 PM
5sp_jzz30
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by mteele
Correct, spacers are not required to clear the BBK setups. But due to the difference in offset between the Supra wheel and the stock SC wheel, a small spacer will help push them out to where they should be sitting.
whatever youre on man i want some of that chit pass it down. PM for zip

the stock sc wheels have same offsets are the supra wheels. 16x6.5+50. supra tt wheels are 17x8 and 17x9.5. both +50.

because the supra tt wheels are wider then stock and have same offset they actually sit more flush then the stock wheels anyways. simple offset equation. the supra tt wheels are 8" wide. stock is 6.5" that is 1.5" wider. divided by 2 b/c half the width of each side of center. since offsets are same they dont even come into the equation. 1.5"/2=0.75"

meaning the supra tt wheels sit 0.75" more flush then stock and 0.75" closer to the coilover as well.

http://www.1010tires.com/WheelOffsetCalculator.asp

go to the site if you never done offsets.

to the original poster: where are you from? i was on chicago craigslist today and saw you post your same original post. lol. so are you selling the wheels or asking for help?

if youre in chicago area close to north suburbs i can probably look at your "problem."
Old 04-17-08, 07:27 PM
TheMole
Lexus Champion

Just put a set of supra tt wheels on my car and had no issues at all. I put them on one corner at a time.
Old 04-17-08, 08:45 PM
mteele
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Per intellexual.net:

"Supra wheels will fit the SC coupe perfectly; However, the offset is slightly less in Supra wheels (Lexus +50mm, Supra +38mm). This is not a substantial enough difference to create steering issues, but the wheels will look like they are tucked in by a little under an inch. This difference can be remedied with H&R 15mm spacers. Supra TT wheels are 17x8F and 17x9.5R, while the Supra NA wheels are 16x7.5. Both sizes are offered in chrome, polished aluminum, and silver finishes."
Old 04-17-08, 08:51 PM
TheMole
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by mteele
Per intellexual.net:

"Supra wheels will fit the SC coupe perfectly; However, the offset is slightly less in Supra wheels (Lexus +50mm, Supra +38mm). This is not a substantial enough difference to create steering issues, but the wheels will look like they are tucked in by a little under an inch. This difference can be remedied with H&R 15mm spacers. Supra TT wheels are 17x8F and 17x9.5R, while the Supra NA wheels are 16x7.5. Both sizes are offered in chrome, polished aluminum, and silver finishes."

Someone has mentioned it before that the info in that section is incorrect. I believe that when they were referring to offset in that phrase they were referring to something else. They even got the supra na measurements incorrect, which are supposed to be staggered 16x8 and 16x9. The fact is that 93-98 Supra factory wheels all have an offset of +50.

Quick Reply: problem with fitting supra tt rims