Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

F-Sport Springs on Sport Package IS350 - Installed!

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-08, 12:53 PM
passnu2
Lexus Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by jspridge
First post updated with photo...
Thanks! are you still level?? I am still wondering how you are not lower on the driver side of the car with the springs. Especially if they are not side specific?

Car looks great
Old 04-30-08, 12:53 PM
jspridge
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by tfz_hebe89
with that kind of combination (GFX front lip, F-sport springs, and 18" wheels with stock tires), do you scrape your front lip when going on a slope or a store complex?

any scrape in the rear too?
No scrape on the rear, in fact it's pretty high even with the ground effects rear piece. I have no concerns about hitting or scraping the rear in normal driving or parking situations.

As for the front, a little caution is in order because the front lip is 6.5 inches off the ground. This will clear most curbs, but to be on the safe side I won't try it. A few years ago a friend of mine ripped the bumper off my BMW when they tried to back away from the parking stop that they drove over. $2,000 later - lesson learned!
Old 04-30-08, 12:58 PM
jspridge
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by passnu2
Thanks! are you still level?? I am still wondering how you are not lower on the driver side of the car with the springs. Especially if they are not side specific?

Car looks great
Took it in for alignment this morning and measured again. The passenger front is now 1/8" higher than the driver front (25 3/4" vs 25 5/8") and the rear is still even at 26 1/4" on both sides. Still very close to level compared to many reports on this board.

By the way - the alignment did need to be adjusted after the spring install. It was close to within spec, but not quite there.
Old 04-30-08, 01:10 PM
AndyL
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Hi jspridge,

Do you still have the wheel alignment report?

If you have time, would you mind posting the correct alignment setting after the F-sport spring install?

It would be useful for those who plan to get the F-sport springs.

Thanks again
Old 04-30-08, 01:23 PM
passnu2
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by jspridge
Took it in for alignment this morning and measured again. The passenger front is now 1/8" higher than the driver front (25 3/4" vs 25 5/8") and the rear is still even at 26 1/4" on both sides. Still very close to level compared to many reports on this board.

By the way - the alignment did need to be adjusted after the spring install. It was close to within spec, but not quite there.
Awesome! either way it looks great!

Can you scan that print out and just black out any info that you dont want on here and post it in the alignment thread I started please. This way we will have it as future reference. List out the info of the springs and stuff. Thanks for your help with this!

I would also go back for a 2nd alignment becuase it will settle a little more yet just to make sure you are still with in spec. I was just barely out myself and I waited 2 months before I went.
Old 04-30-08, 01:53 PM
VikH
Lexus Champion

I am getting close to ordering springs/shocks. I read that I should get alignment after the springs have settled. Any truth?
Old 04-30-08, 02:28 PM
passnu2
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by VikDiddy
I am getting close to ordering springs/shocks. I read that I should get alignment after the springs have settled. Any truth?
Yes Vik! Give it a good 3 weeks IMO. I waited 2 mos to do mine. You should be fully settled within a month.
Old 04-30-08, 02:34 PM
passnu2
Lexus Fanatic

Also if you want the same guy that did mine I can have do yours. PM me and I will let you know. It will save you some $$
Old 04-30-08, 04:31 PM
darkdream
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yes Vik! Give it a good 3 weeks IMO. I waited 2 mos to do mine. You should be fully settled within a month.
thats long!?... hmmm can you say in mileage? some of us drive quite a bit...
Old 04-30-08, 04:43 PM
mikez
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I commute around 50 miles a day, after 3 weeks that would be about (3*5)(50) = 725 miles... I'm afraid if Im out of spec that might be too many miles on both my poor expensive tires and suspension parts lol.

Base on your 3 week estimate, how heavy is the driving?
Old 04-30-08, 04:56 PM
Giggity
Pole Position

Originally Posted by sincityIS
How the hell do you guys have cars that are sitting dead level when every other Lexus in the world leans.
It's not the springs that make the car lean...
Hang around autocross and road race guys who do a lot of suspension tuning and you'll figure it out. Don't measure from the tops of the wheel arches, even on a car that appears to "lean" if you measure from a fixed point on the chassis at all four corners you'll find that it's probably level.
Old 04-30-08, 05:00 PM
Giggity
Pole Position

Springs don't "settle", if they droop more than a 1/4 of an inch return them for being defective.

Drive it around the block, or over some speed bumps and get an alignment. Waiting any specified length of time is absurd.
Old 04-30-08, 05:34 PM
mikez
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Giggity
Springs don't "settle", if they droop more than a 1/4 of an inch return them for being defective.

Drive it around the block, or over some speed bumps and get an alignment. Waiting any specified length of time is absurd.
You sound like you know your ****, always good to hear from some pro I shall take your word for it.

Can you explain what you mean as a fixed point on the chassis which to measure from?

Last edited by mikez; 04-30-08 at 06:04 PM.
Old 04-30-08, 05:58 PM
Giggity
Pole Position

Originally Posted by mikez
Can you explain what you mean as a fixed point on the chassis which to measure from?
It's best to use a reference point like where the subframes (front and rear) attach to the chassis at the lowest point on the car on all four corners. Kind of difficult to do on this car what with all the plastic covers and what not. It's also much easier to do on a four post lift that you drive on to (the kind that alignments are performed on), so you can actually get under the car and take accurate measurements.
Old 05-01-08, 04:24 AM
jspridge
Driver School Candidate

Awesome! either way it looks great!

Can you scan that print out and just black out any info that you dont want on here and post it in the alignment thread I started please. This way we will have it as future reference. List out the info of the springs and stuff. Thanks for your help with this!

I would also go back for a 2nd alignment becuase it will settle a little more yet just to make sure you are still with in spec. I was just barely out myself and I waited 2 months before I went.
Although Lexus supplies a full installation guide with the new springs, they do not include new alignment specs, only a final step indicating that the installer should check alignment and adjust if necessary. The alignment shop reset my alignment to within the original specs for a sport suspension IS350, or:

Front Left
-1.4 to 0.2
7.3 to 8.8
-0.04 to 0.12
10.2 to 11.7
8.8 to 11.8

Front Right
Camber -1.4 to 0.2
Caster 7.3 to 8.8
Toe -0.04 to 0.12
SAI 10.2 to 11.7
Included Angle 8.8 to 11.8

Front
-0.5 to 0.5 Cross Camber
-0.5 to 0.5 Cross Caster
-0.5 to 0.5 Cross SAI
-0.5 to 0.5 Total Toe

Rear Left
-2.0 to -0.5
0.04 to 0.20

Rear Right
Camber -2.0 to -0.5
Toe 0.04 to 0.20

Rear
-0.5 to 0.5 Cross Camber
0.08 to 0.39 Total Toe

I don't claim to understand any of this but I do know that on my car, after the installation of the lowering springs, the following items were outside of the specified range:

Front Left Toe was -0.12
Front Right Toe was 0.24
Rear Left Toe was 0.30
Total Toe (Rear) was 0.41

Last edited by jspridge; 05-01-08 at 04:29 AM.

Quick Reply: F-Sport Springs on Sport Package IS350 - Installed!