Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

New suspension design help

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-08, 02:14 PM
VJZ
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New suspension design help

I do a daily driver style with my cars. However, I want something thats going to handle and be a nice DD as well. I decided to go with the Tokico Blue struts, Espelir springs, new strut mounts, and poly bushings on things.

I want this to be able to be competitive and classy when I take it to the US129 "dragon" every year.

Do you think my idea is a good one?

I'm also getting a set of 17x8 wheels with Proxes tires. I don't want anything larger than a 17 because we have pot holes galore around here until June from the winter, and I already have new Proxes to put on my new 17's I'm getting.

Thoughts?
Old 05-06-08, 06:56 PM
UpInTheLex
Instructor

Received 36 Likes on 24 Posts

Did you already buy the spring shock combo?

I'd suggest you get the Stance coilovers. I want a set. I have koni yellows and stock supra springs. Not a fan. Springs are too soft for a sc400 in my opinion. Just throw down one time on a quality setup.

I have TT wheels on the car. Like you I'm into the DD aspect of things and I want a set of either 17x8 or 17x9 on all 4 corners with NO stagger. A million people will argue that stagger is better. The reason? I want to be able to rotate tires like a normal human being on a daily driver. And 17" tires are more affordable and theres a million potholes around here,roads are rough, and I don't want bent rims. I have plenty of others things to worry about.

I'll prolly opt for 17 x 8's on all 4 corners with the same offset and run a wheel spacer in the rear. I'd like a set of TE37s or CE28n's. I've even considered running supra TT front wheels in the back to be cheap, but I have a feeling it won't look right.
Old 05-06-08, 07:05 PM
5sp_jzz30
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

agree on the stance

i have tokico hp/eibach combo and it is way too soft

i have TT wheels and i love them. the only thing i will do is buy another set or just a pair of rears and have 17x9.5 all around.

LS400 brake or supra TT brakes are going to make a world of a difference. i have ls400's and its so much more noticeable. my next mods after school is done in two weeks is to buy SS brake lines and fabricate a master cylinder stopper. you would be shocked to see how much it moves under heavy breaking. definitely will make for a more precise braking feel.

get stance coilovers, poly bushings all around, sway bars( if budget allows), and brakes. they car will feel a lot "faster" after all that. it wont be faster but you will be able to take out much more agressive then before.

good luck.
Old 05-06-08, 08:17 PM
UpInTheLex
Instructor

i have TT wheels and i love them. the only thing i will do is buy another set or just a pair of rears and have 17x9.5 all around.

Curious if you've tried the 17x9.5 Rear supra TT rims on the front of the car?
I'll be damned if it clears everything without rubbing, I'd go that route in a heartbeat.
Old 05-06-08, 08:26 PM
5sp_jzz30
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by UpInTheLex
Curious if you've tried the 17x9.5 Rear supra TT rims on the front of the car?
I'll be damned if it clears everything without rubbing, I'd go that route in a heartbeat.
rears fit the front with no modifications and no rubbing. clear big brakes, the coilovers, and fenders. ive test fitted it and its all good. the fitment is great also....for a stock wheels. lol.
Old 05-06-08, 11:11 PM
UpInTheLex
Instructor

I need new front tires. Time to find a pair of chrome TT rear's in good shape.
Old 05-06-08, 11:22 PM
5sp_jzz30
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by UpInTheLex
I need new front tires. Time to find a pair of chrome TT rear's in good shape.
there is a guy that was selling a set of chrome rears on SF a little while ago. go there and search the mk4 classifieds. i think he was local to me actually. good luck.
Old 05-21-08, 06:11 AM
SteveMDS
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I am a newbie and 92 SC400 drives terrible.

I've owned my 92 SC400 since 94 and I have never been unhappy till recently. I feel every bump in the road. My feet on the floorboards feels like I am roller skating on metal weels (yes there were metal wheels on roller skates at one time).

I suppose the problem has happened gradually but I never noticed it till I got new struts (installed by Lexus dealer) and new tires.

Do you think the Stance coilovers you mentioned will solve my problem? If yes, is it something my mechanic can do without any mods?

My thanks in advance.
Old 05-21-08, 08:13 AM
5sp_jzz30
Lexus Champion

correction on the supra TT rears fitting the front. if you have stock brakes then you are good to go. if you have ls400 brakes then you will need a spacer to clear. also to keep in mind, there are two different TT wheel designs that i have seen. they look the same from the outside but the lug nut hole has webbing in it and other one doesnt.
Old 05-21-08, 09:18 AM
UpInTheLex
Instructor

Right on. I decided to go with 235/45 and 255/40 combo this time around and I got 4 new tires. went with gforce sport by BFG. Costco, $550 mounted and balanced. It'll get me down the road one more time and maybe then I'll be willing to throw down a couple G's on some Volks.

Steve,
Your bushings are probably worn. Rubber goes south over time. And it makes the SC ride like rough and feel clunky and loose.
Have you replaced the lower control arms? If you want it to drive like new and have the luxury feel again here's a list of parts to replace to make the front end of the SC fresh again.

To restore ride quality and steering feel replace:
Lower Control arms
sway bar bushings
steering rack bushings
Upper Control arms
strut top mounts
Inner and outer tie rod ends

The list is in order of most pertinent.

Also consider replacing:
motor mount X2
trans mount
driveshaft bushing

Again anything rubber's life is pretty much over by 100K miles. Definitely by 150K. And even without the mileage thats stuff's ~15 years old by now and broken down.

I'm assuming you've checked tire pressure already?

Maybe nothing has changed except that you are getting old! Sure you don't have princess and the pea syndrome?

Last edited by UpInTheLex; 05-21-08 at 09:21 AM.